• pacific islander
    • philipene latino
    • american indian
    • australian indian
    • general native

Johnson on inside, but he's looking out

Victim of 'business decision' studies his options

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Keyshawn Johnson's locker remains inside Valley Ranch, but the veteran receiver is preparing to make visits to a number of other teams this week.

Cut last week before he was due a $1 million roster bonus, Johnson didn't close the door on returning to the Cowboys, even after the addition Saturday of Terrell Owens.

"I'm just going to play football for my new team," Johnson said. "Are the Dallas Cowboys in the picture? They are. If it's not them, it's not them. No love lost. It's a business decision. I don't understand why people don't know that."

When told that Owens will receive $10 million this year, Johnson said, "Wow. Now you understand why they couldn't keep me."

Fabini signs three-year deal: Lost amid the Owens hoopla Saturday was the signing of Jason Fabini, who will have a chance to be the Cowboys' starting right tackle this season.

Fabini signed a three-year deal that included a $1.75 million signing bonus. He could make up to $7.5 million over the length of the deal if he hits certain incentives.

Fabini missed the last seven games last season for the New York Jets with a torn pectoral muscle, but he said that he is healthy.

Rosenhaus has his day: Drew Rosenhaus has been cast as the evil agent in the Owens saga, but he was all smiles Saturday as he sat next to Owens. Rosenhaus represents more than 90 players, but Owens is his only Cowboy. He said seven teams contacted him about Owens but that the Cowboys were the most ardent of the suitors.

"I just like to do a good job for my client," Rosenhaus said. "There's always pressure to get the best deal I can for my guys. That's why they hire me. A lot of people took shots at me publicly. That's OK. I can deal with that."

Roster needs remain: The Cowboys have filled holes on the offensive line, at receiver and at linebacker. But the team still has needs at safety and kicker as free agency enters its third week.

The Cowboys have a little more than $11 million in salary-cap room. The 2006 cap numbers for the six players signed – guard Kyle Kosier, linebacker Akin Ayodele, tight end Ryan Hannam, guard Andre Gurode, Owens and Fabini – equal $12.4 million.

Dont be hatin,cause you guys shot your wads, and still dont have depth at corner,oline,dline and lb.

Hardly any pics and about 3 mill left.

I'm not hatin' I just don't really care...don't expect much love around here anyways. I don't understand why opposing teams fans post articles on here to try to make us envious, angry, or hateful. You hate us, you are envious, we make you angry and you are on OUR message board. Why do other teams fans care about what we think anyways...you won't see me trolling around an Eagles, Cowboys, or Giants board...why? because I don't care enough and its not worth it.

Dont be hatin,cause you guys shot your wads, and still dont have depth at corner,oline,dline and lb.

Hardly any pics and about 3 mill left.

We only have one position on our roster where the starter hasn't been determined yet, weakside linebacker. Every other position has remained the same or been upgraded for a team that beat you twice and made it to the second round of the playoffs last season. We added coaches we wanted, you lost coaches you wanted to keep. Our lines of succession for head coach and QB are in place, while you have no plans for either past this year. Our entire O-Line has had a year together to gel, while you guys are still figuring out who your starters are. Do we need depth? Sure we do. Will we add more players that will help us? Absolutely. Are we closer to our goal of a championship than the Cowboys? Without question.

Theyre going to sign Marcus Coleman to address that need and thereafter draft a FS day one of the draft.

Besides the draft and Marcus Coleman, is there anyone else you are planning the Cowboys to go after? Coleman is getting up there in age, I'd figure you would look at something more long term.

Besides the draft and Marcus Coleman, is there anyone else you are planning the Cowboys to go after? Coleman is getting up there in age, I'd figure you would look at something more long term.

Either a first or second round pick will likely be used for a FS that can come in and start or start by mid to late season.

We did ok with Keith Davis last year.

I'm not hatin' I just don't really care...don't expect much love around here anyways. I don't understand why opposing teams fans post articles on here to try to make us envious, angry, or hateful. You hate us, you are envious, we make you angry and you are on OUR message board. Why do other teams fans care about what we think anyways...you won't see me trolling around an Eagles, Cowboys, or Giants board...why? because I don't care enough and its not worth it.

Well if you didnt care you would not have cared to responded anyway. So by simply posting you show you do care.

Also I posted in the AROUND THE NFL Forum. Not anywhere else

HAHA :laugh:

haven't you learned by now that salary cap room means nothing to the redskins? If we need more people, we'll get more people.

And the whole "blowing our wad" thing is way overblown anyways. We picked up five guys, of which only Randle El could even remotely be called a big name star. Yeah, snyder overpayed... Once, again, doesn't matter, he's got the money to spend and apparently a genius to manage the cap for him.

Well if you didnt care you would not have cared to responded anyway. So by simply posting you show you do care.

Also I posted in the AROUND THE NFL Forum. Not anywhere else

HAHA :laugh:

using my own psychology against me, huh? worth a try, still doesn't make sense though.

I think theyll finally address this spot early in the draft.

Coleman will start the season and go as long as he gets the job done and the rookie will slowly take over.

Archived