Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Compensatory Picks?

teamcal00

Do we have any idea what the Skins will be receiving in the way of Compensatory Picks in the upcoming draft? They lost Pierce and Smoot, both of which played significant time for their new teams. Not sure of the formula used to arrive at the picks, but we should be receiving something this year. Maybe another 5th or even a 4th?

Do we have any idea what the Skins will be receiving in the way of Compensatory Picks in the upcoming draft? They lost Pierce and Smoot, both of which played significant time for their new teams. Not sure of the formula used to arrive at the picks, but we should be receiving something this year. Maybe another 5th or even a 4th?

We should get at least a 5th rounder for each.

Adam who posts on here and KFFL is the guru at predicting the comp picks. He is just about dead on. He predicted a 7th rounder. We lost Smoot and Pierce but signed Patten and Rabach. The contracts are the determining factor and that will net us a 7th. I trust him.

They are based on the free agents lost and signed. Released players like LaVar do not count. The picks are based on some undisclosed formula based on the players salaries, playing time, and performance. Antonio Pierce had a solid season but Smoot got hurt and got burned plenty. Casey Rabach was solid but I don't know how they judge O linemen and Patten did next to nothing. Warrick Holdman was also a non-factor even though he got some playing time. I suppose we get a 5th rounder as I'm sure we lost some other free agents that I just can't think of. We should be grateful for this compensatory pick becasue Snyder has probably made a vow never to get one again because teams are not allowed to trade compensatory picks, and of course he would have to limit his spending which he should definately not do.

If we get a 7th rounder. I hope its Mr. Irrelevant!!!

Compensatory picks are the dumbest thing. What's the point? Isn't the field even by the fact that all teams can pay the same salary?

So the Steelers undervalue all of their own free agent, and in doing so get a bunch of picks (Hines Ward was a compensatory pick). Why should they get rewarded? Furthermore, compensatory picks will decrease the value of our later round draft picks. I don't understand why the NFL still does this.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents (maximum of four).

Shrouded in mystery, the NFL Management Council has a 'magic formula' for determining these picks that is based somewhat on salary, playing time and post-season honors. No team can receive more than four of the thirty two added selections and the picks are positioned within the third through seventh rounds as dictated by the formula.

Not every free agent lost or signed by a team is covered by this formula.

I want Mr. Irrelevant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents (maximum of four).

Shrouded in mystery, the NFL Management Council has a 'magic formula' for determining these picks that is based somewhat on salary, playing time and post-season honors. No team can receive more than four of the thirty two added selections and the picks are positioned within the third through seventh rounds as dictated by the formula.

Not every free agent lost or signed by a team is covered by this formula.

I want Mr. Irrelevant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also... philly MUST receive 4 picks every year and green bay must receive 3...

Compensatory picks are the dumbest thing. What's the point? Isn't the field even by the fact that all teams can pay the same salary?

So the Steelers undervalue all of their own free agent, and in doing so get a bunch of picks (Hines Ward was a compensatory pick). Why should they get rewarded? Furthermore, compensatory picks will decrease the value of our later round draft picks. I don't understand why the NFL still does this.

Name a free agent that has left the Steelers for huge money and was worth the value.

Plaxico maybe. Before that, you probably have to go back Chad Brown.

Not really. Who did we pick up in free agency that would offset the loss of Pierce and Smoot?

Rabach?

Patton?

Holdman?

Nope.

it is in the eye of the beholder... after what we just did inthe first week of free agency (i know it is supposed to be irrelevant, but it won't be, trust me)

we will be lucky if the league doesn't confiscate the 6th rounder we just got for ramsey...

LaVar bought his contract out making him a free agent he was not released.

that would be on next years column anyway.. and with what we have just signed we will probably not get a compensatory pick for the next 5 years as a penalty..

the concept is dumb. it rewards teams for being cheap.. the NFLPA should have worked to abolish the concept this past month.. who exactly does it help besides a couple of teams? better to simply expand the draft a couple of rounds

That's not how it works.

It's simply number of FAs signed versus numbers lost. Then you compare the money signed for.

The Skins may get a 7th.

I don't think I even attempted to describe anywhere in my post how compensatory picks work....

Archived