Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Daily Ramsey

AJ_Skins

Newsday (NY): 'Skins' Ramsey might fit well as backup QB

...At a news conference announcing Washington's signing of defensive end Andre Carter, Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said discussions with the Jets about Ramsey are "ongoing."

The Jets appear to have focused on Ramsey now that Jon Kitna is off the market, but they placed an exploratory call to the agent for former Cardinal Josh McCown on Tuesday after expressing no previous interest in McCown, who wants to go to a team where he'll have a better chance to win a long-term job.

Gus Frerotte was released by the Dolphins, but he is expected to sign with the Broncos. Joey Harrington wants out of Detroit, but the Jets aren't interested. They want a short-term insurance policy for Chad Pennington until the quarterback they are expected to draft next month is ready to take over.

The Jets are believed to want to trade a seventh-round pick for Ramsey; the Redskins are said to be holding out for at least a fifth-rounder. The Bucs, Lions, Bengals and Dolphins also might be interested in Ramsey, but the Redskins might have hurt their leverage yesterday by signing former Chiefs backup Todd Collins...

Bengals.com: Bengals take re-check on QBs

...With the quarterback pool expanding the past few days, the Bengals have expanded their own pool to include a veteran Pro Bowler and talented youngsters as well journeyman career backups. Joey Harrington and Patrick Ramsey, two first-round picks from 2002 looking for a fresh start, are also names that surfaced Thursday for the list. With Palmer back in Cincinnati rehabbing, the moves look to have more to do with opportunity rather than health. One of these top-ranked quarterbacks may not have a spot when the dust clears.

The Bergen Record reported that the Bengals are in the mix in trade talks with Washington for Ramsey, but apparently the Redskins haven’t heard the magic word from them or the Jets, or several other clubs considering him. Harrington, who has Palmer agent David Dunn, figures to become a Bengals target once he’s released in the wake of the Jon Kitna and Josh McCown signings in Detroit...

...Where the Bengals are at looks to be in the waiting mode. Lewis had said the Bengals would have a backup quarterback by the end of the first week of free agency, but that first week ends Friday and it looks like the Ramsey situation is going to go past that, as is the possible option with Harrington...

...Ramsey, who Lewis liked when they were together his rookie season in Washington, has 24 NFL starts but not the confidence of head coach Joe Gibbs. He pulled Ramsey at halftime of last season’s opener and went with Mark Brunell.

With the signing of Todd Collins, the Redskins have lost their leverage and the league is waiting for them to cut him instead of trading them a fourth or fifth-round pick...

I agree with moving Ramsey out but I too thought the Skins somewhat shot themselves in the foot with the signing of Collins. That is almost proof that Ramsey will get cut at some point and most teams will be hesitent to give up anything for a guy they believe they can get for free, especially if they are high on the waiver list since Ramsey should have to clear waivers before he is real FA. They might be able to get him for one year on his current contract. At least I think that is the case.

Guys honestly if Gibbs trades him for a 7th round he would be making a great mistake. Ramsey can take over this team if Mark goes down and we would have a decent chance to go all the way. Can anyone here honestly say the same thing about Collins or Campbell? No way.

With the speed we have now at WR Ramsey's arm is a huge asset IMO. Just take a look what he did in the Giants game when he came in. Hell look what he did in BOTH Giants games, when in the first one we had our only shot at a TD (Royal dropped a perfect pass) with him while Mark I don't think he crossed the 50 yardline.

A fith rounder!! Man that must depress the hell out of Ramsey. I would just cool my heels if I were him. Just stay where he is, take the minimum if necessary, and wait until a team is desperate during the season. You know someone will get hurt early in the season, and will need to sign someone badly. You stick to your guns, Ramss, you are better than a fith, to offer a seventh is an insult.

Guys honestly if Gibbs trades him for a 7th round he would be making a great mistake. Ramsey can take over this team if Mark goes down and we would have a decent chance to go all the way. Can anyone here honestly say the same thing about Collins or Campbell? No way.

With the speed we have now at WR Ramsey's arm is a huge asset IMO. Just take a look what he did in the Giants game when he came in. Hell look what he did in BOTH Giants games, when in the first one we had our only shot at a TD (Royal dropped a perfect pass) with him while Mark I don't think he crossed the 50 yardline.

Exactly!...Did Collins get any guaranteed money? Can't he still be cut if Ramsey cant be traded?

A fith rounder!! Man that must depress the hell out of Ramsey. I would just cool my heels if I were him. Just stay where he is, take the minimum if necessary, and wait until a team is desperate during the season. You know someone will get hurt early in the season, and will need to sign someone badly. You stick to your guns, Ramss, you are better than a fith, to offer a seventh is an insult.

I think what the Redskins get for him is irrelevant to Ramsey. What is very relevant is the fact that there does not appear to be any real opportunity out there for him to start.

Well, very simple. If we can't dish him now, wait until the season starts. We'll have to pay, but just simply dropping him isn't worth it. Decide who to put on the practice squad (Collins or Ramsey), and wait until a team loses their QB to a season ending injury. However, I think a lot of this is just posturing by the Jets. I think a deal will get done. Regardless, cutting PR would be a mistake.

Well, very simple. If we can't dish him now, wait until the season starts. We'll have to pay, but just simply dropping him isn't worth it. Decide who to put on the practice squad (Collins or Ramsey), and wait until a team loses their QB to a season ending injury. However, I think a lot of this is just posturing by the Jets. I think a deal will get done. Regardless, cutting PR would be a mistake.

Thing is, the Jets article says they're just looking for a short-term backup for Pennington until the QB they plan to draft (Leinart, Cutler, Young) is ready. Not exactly the kind of golden opportunity Ramsey is supposedly looking for.

Clearly the lack of a bidding war for Patrick's services is due to Gibbs having blackballed him.

Seems to me that at this point, the best bet is to go to Patrick, sit him down and tell him, "Sorry dude, due to the lack of interest we ourselves have engineered in your services, we've decided you have to stay after all. Mind you, while we still think you're a great guy, we also still don't think you're a good fit in our offense. So you're not actually going to play, nor do you have any future here, but a Redskin you will be. Can we get you a lemonade or something?"

Thing is, the Jets article says they're just looking for a short-term backup for Pennington until the QB they plan to draft (Leinart, Cutler, Young) is ready. Not exactly the kind of golden opportunity Ramsey is supposedly looking for.

You don't think Ramsey is looking to start?

The problem is no one wants him. Are you beginning to see that now?

The Newsday article is from yesterday, the Bengals.com article is from this morning. I don't remember seeing either posted here, or discussed.
The Jets have made an offer, believed to be a seventh-round pick in next month's draft, but the Redskins are holding out for a fourth-rounder or better.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147727

posted: March-11th-2006, 09:09 AM

Yeah, I've thought about that as well. Unfortunately, I don't think there are many teams out there that will give Ramsey a shot at the starting job immediately. Tampa seems to be interested, but they already have their future in front of them. I feel bad for Pat. He handled his demotion with class, and I hope he ultimately is rewarded for it. I think Miami is honestly his best option. Culpepper could very well stink up the joint, or get injured. Besides, they like to play QB roulette, so there's a chance he could start a few games this year.

Clearly the lack of a bidding war for Patrick's services is due to Gibbs having blackballed him.

Seems to me that at this point, the best bet is to go to Patrick, sit him down and tell him, "Sorry dude, due to the lack of interest we ourselves have engineered in your services, we've decided you have to stay after all. Mind you, while we still think you're a great guy, we also still don't think you're a good fit in our offense. So you're not actually going to play, nor do you have any future here, but a Redskin you will be. Can we get you a lemonade or something?"

Ouch!

This is something we have seen before. We tell someone that they can shop their services, we make plans to replace them, other teams wait till we cut them. 5th round, 7th round or a ham sandwich - it doesn't matter - Gibbs and company are already thinking about the team they are going to field this year. :helmet:

Archived