Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pregnant Waitress Gets Big Tip from Generous Stranger

flyingtiger1013

http://wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=729158

ROANOKE, Va. - The couple at one of waitress Amanda Newkirk's many tables seemed ordinary enough. The woman ordered a turkey burger, fries and two Coors Lights. The man had a bacon cheeseburger and sweet tea.

Their bill came to $26.35. They left Newkirk $1,000.

Newkirk, seven months pregnant and teary with excitement, read the handwritten note on the check: "Keep the change! Have a great day."

The 19-year-old thought it had to be a joke. But the manager at Ruby Tuesday confirmed the authenticity of the ten $100 bills with a counterfeit-detection pen.

Newkirk couldn't figure out why the couple had given her such a generous tip. She didn't think her service had been very good.

A couple days after the March 7 incident, Newkirk got her answer.

A 28-year-old widow who said she'd been going through a tough time called Newkirk's general manager and said she'd left the tip while at lunch with her fiance.

"It involved a lot more than good service at a great restaurant," said Erin Dogan of Roanoke County. "I didn't need it. It helped someone who ... needed it. God put us there together. God answered my questions."

Dogan, whose husband died last year, said she's a shopaholic and could have easily spent the money at a nearby mall. But she decided to put it to better use.

"It made me feel phenomenal," Dogan said. "It has changed my life."

Newkirk plans to use some of the money to help pay for medical bills related to her pregnancy. But aside from a few national radio and television appearances, life continues as normal for the teen.

"I'm not going to retire with a thousand dollars," she said with a laugh.

___

Wasn't this the lyrics to a country song?

Chain of Love by Clay Walker.

Well a few miles down the road,

The lady saw a small cafe

She went in to grab a bite to eat,

And then be on her way

But she couldn't help but notice,

How the waitress smiled so sweet

And how she must've been eight months along,

And dead on her feet

And though she didn't know her story,

And she probably never will

When the waitress went to get her change,

From a hundred dollar bill

The lady slipped right out the door,

And on a napkin left a note

There were tears in the waitress's eyes,

When she read what she wrote

You don't owe me a thing,

I've been there too

Someone once helped me out,

Just the way I'm helping you

If you really want to pay me back,

Here's what you do

Don't let the chain of love end with you

That's a great story, but - how is the lady engaged again already? Her husband has been dead no more than 14 months. Seems a quick turnaround to me; but who am i to question the motives of another's heart.

Well, having a spouse die is very different than a divorce. Under the Jewish law, in the Talmud, a spouse is only to mourn for one month. Children are instructed to mourn for 12 months. When you lose someone you love, it's a break where you're losing someone who you loved dearly without all of the resentment/hatred/grudges/etc--which is unlike every other kind of separation/divorce/break up. When the death occurs the widow(er) is left with love in his/her heart, not resentment.

I watched this happen when my step-dad died and my mom started dating someone about two months after he died. It was VERY hard for me and for my step-siblings, but you come around on these things after they happen in your own family.

At least, that's how I see it. :)

Well, having a spouse die is very different than a divorce. Under the Jewish law, in the Talmud, a spouse is only to mourn for one month. Children are instructed to mourn for 12 months. When you lose someone you love, it's a break where you're losing someone who you loved dearly--which is unlike every other kind of separation/divorce/break up. When the death occurs the widow(er) is left with love in their heart, not resentment.

I watched this happen when my step-dad died and my mom started dating someone about two months after he died. It was VERY hard for me and for my step-siblings, but you come around on these things after they happen in your own family.

I hope you're right, because it is a really nice story.

Well, having a spouse die is very different than a divorce. Under the Jewish law, in the Talmud, a spouse is only to mourn for one month. Children are instructed to mourn for 12 months. When you lose someone you love, it's a break where you're losing someone who you loved dearly--which is unlike every other kind of separation/divorce/break up. When the death occurs the widow(er) is left with love in their heart, not resentment.

Ya learn something new everyday.

Well, having a spouse die is very different than a divorce. Under the Jewish law, in the Talmud, a spouse is only to mourn for one month. Children are instructed to mourn for 12 months. When you lose someone you love, it's a break where you're losing someone who you loved dearly without all of the resentment/hatred/grudges/etc--which is unlike every other kind of separation/divorce/break up. When the death occurs the widow(er) is left with love in his/her heart, not resentment.

Very good iheart.

We have become such a cynical society, we look for reasons NOT to accept goodness.

Blondie

Very good iheart.

We have become such a cynical society, we look for reasons NOT to accept goodness.

Blondie

Sorry if it came across cynical - but to me 14 months seems an awfully short time to grieve, court, and get engaged; hell even without the grieving part thats pretty short compared to most people's courting times nowadays.

I remember when my grandmother died (age 56). I was ten years old at the time and I worried a great deal about Papa...after all, he'd been married for 40 years...how would he go on?

Silly me...he was dating within 6 months and was re-married within a year. I remember being hurt at first wondering how he could forget about Nana so quickly. It wasn't til a few years later that I realized he still loved my Nana very much...he just ended up finding someone else who made him happy. Nuttin' wrong with that.

Nice story though...bet the other waitresses at Ruby Tuesday's were thinking 'Damn, wish they seated her at my table" :).

I can't imagine ever giving a waitress a $1,000 tip....

...well...

...unless it was at Hooters :)

KIDDING!!!!

...sort of...

When I'm like 140 years old I'll have a division 1 or nfl coaching job......I see mayself doing the same thing.....

I've grown up with and without money.....before and after divorce......I apprieciate nice things as much as the next guy but if I go with the 55'' plasma instead of the 62'' I can feed 20 more families @ the YWCA.........I owe alot to that place......

I'd much rather blab to the media that I got a $1000 tip than keep quiet and not have to give 25% of it to the IRS.

good point. The article said she admits to being a shopaholic. Her fiance will hate it. Everyone I know who married a shopaholic works extra hours to pay off the credit cards their wife ran up or had to file bankruptcy after she left him for someone else with more resources.

Archived