Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason La Canfora (WP) on 980 with TK

fdarugar

First they talked about cap management and Tony is amazed with the Redskins ability to sign players. La Canfora said we are able to do it because of the way we structure contracts and yatayatayata...(nothin special there, basicallly danny rules)

Said he believes that Andre Carter is going to be something special in this defense and he will put them over the top. Also said that Randle El has the biggest potential of being a bust of the four big name players we sign. Then spoke about Brandon Lloyd's supposed attitude problem but thought that Lloyd would be fine in DC. Then TK asked him about any more FA moves and he said we will probably sign Jason Goodwin, we have spoken to Jamar Fletcher about the nickle job and at weakside linebacker we talked to a few players but only mentioned Keith Adams. He said that we will keep looking at players in both those positions but niether will be "sexy"...

I forgot to mention he spoke about the QB situation with Cambell and Brunell, La Canfora felt that if Brunell went down we would be in alot of trouble and Cambell is not ready to take over the team.

I forgot to mention he spoke about the QB situation with Cambell and Brunell, La Canfora felt that if Brunell went down we would be in alot of trouble and Cambell is not ready to take over the team.

Yeah... because he's privy to the practices... :doh:

So LaCanfora forgot we signed Todd Collins?

If Campbell isn't ready to play (and I seriously doubt that anyway) Saunders will have no problem throwing Collins in to manage things. With the playmakers we have now, I would not say that constitutes a lot of trouble.

Besides how much trouble would NY, Dallas, or Philly be in if they lost THEIR starting QB? Plenty, so we are no different than anyone else.

La Canfora's probably just repeating what Shefter said about Campbell not being ready.

I wish these guys would do their own reporting and not just recycle what each other says.

There seems to be a pattern of when one reporter says something, everyone else repeats it like gospel.

So LaCanfora forgot we signed Todd Collins?

If Campbell isn't ready to play (and I seriously doubt that anyway) Saunders will have no problem throwing Collins in to manage things. With the playmakers we have now, I would not say that constitutes a lot of trouble.

Besides how much trouble would NY, Dallas, or Philly be in if they lost THEIR starting QB? Plenty, so we are no different than anyone else.

No sorry forgot to mention the Collins part...La Canfora did not really like the Collins signing and did not speak about him much except for a potshot at him he said "Collins hasn't thrown a pass this decade"...

Andre Carter is going to be an impact. He could be right about Randle El. But I bet Randle El will be a big contributor on Teams.

I don't think Randle El will be a bust because we already know what we have. Worst case scenario he is a good returner and an okay #3 receiver. Brandon Lloyd IMO is much more of a question mark. His upside could be huge but his potential to bust is higher IMO.

You guys are nuts to think Randle El will be a bust. Randle El will draw attention away from Santana Moss. That right there makes him worth his weight in gold. Everyone thought Patten was a bust too. But, when he went down, Moss was double covered. So I think Patten was worth it.

I would have to agree with him on Randel El....I think he'll put up about 600 yards receiving and will be a good punt returner wut we'll get the leat bang for the buck on his signing I think....Hope I get proven wrong...

If RE puts up 600 yards, I will be fine...I am hoping he takes atleast two KO or PR's to the house for that contract, In the RE signing we got a football player and not necessarily a WR. I was strictly against the RE signing before FA but now I am trying to make it seem reasonable since he is a Skin and I want to like him. One thing I can't believe is the crappy contract Antonio Bryant got (1000 yard reciever) compared to the dollars RE got...sometimes these contracts don't make sense to me...

I think the problem is that THEIR starting QBs do not hit a wall 11 games through the season. :(

Brunell has yet to show he can play a whole season and beyond at 100%. If he starts to faulter, what do we do?

Andre Carter is going to be an impact. He could be right about Randle El. But I bet Randle El will be a big contributor on Teams.

ARE won't have any impact on teams if others can't block for him. Remember that Chad Morton did nothing when he was here. JG does put emphasis on teams, so hopefully it'll work out.

The thing about Randle El is the surprise element he adds to the game. If he only gets 40 passes for 600 yards, he's not worth what we're paying him. If he catches 40 passes for 600 yards, runs back a punt and a kickoff for a TD and converts TDs on gadget plays at crucial times, then he's well worth it.

And why is it again that you don't think a guy with day-to-day access to the team might have the ability to determine if Jason Campbell looks ready to take over the offense?

Could be that LaCanfora hasn't demonstrated any real "insider" knowledge of the team.

Could also be that since we have not installed Saunders offense yet and the offseason practices have not begun yet, there's no way in hell anyone can say as a statement in fact that "Jason Campbell is not ready to take over yet".

But I could be mistaken, I guess LaCanfora is now Joe Gibbs mouthpiece and I just missed it.

Randle El is perhaps the guy who stands the least chance of being a bust. Not much is being expected of him as a WR seeing that he's probaby gonna be the #3 WR and he'll also be playing from slot, where he's can be the most effective.

Also, John Keim thinks we did really well with each of the signings. He thinks each of WRs now fits a specific function, Moss (deep), Lloyd (underneath), and ARE (intermediate).

Could be that LaCanfora hasn't demonstrated any real "insider" knowledge of the team.

Could also be that since we have not installed Saunders offense yet and the offseason practices have not begun yet, there's no way in hell anyone can say as a statement in fact that "Jason Campbell is not ready to take over yet".

But I could be mistaken, I guess LaCanfora is now Joe Gibbs mouthpiece and I just missed it.

There are a dozen reasons why someone with day-to-day access of the team could think Jason Campbell is not ready. The kid could have "happy feet" and rush/force his passes. It wouldn't matter what offense you run if Campbell couldn't get those type of issues under wraps.

But I guess I'm just a mouthpiece for LaCanfora. Or common sense.

The thing about Randle El is the surprise element he adds to the game. If he only gets 40 passes for 600 yards, he's not worth what we're paying him. If he catches 40 passes for 600 yards, runs back a punt and a kickoff for a TD and converts TDs on gadget plays at crucial times, then he's well worth it.

Blah, blah, blah. This overpayed, not worth the contract stuff gets old. We can afford his contract, it fits into the long term financial plans so who cares? There's nothing wrong with paying a guy more than competition would if it doesn't break the bank or hamstring you from doing other things. I, for one, am happy to see that our players get more actual cash than anyone else in the league. As long as it fits in the cap, I could care less if Ade Jimoh got an 18 mil signing bonus. I'm happy to see our players well compensated.

Also, we're paying for potential. People said the same thing about Moss' contract last year and now he looks like the bargain of the century. Like I said, we got everyone we wanted, we're set at all positions with cap room to spare and Danny's cetainly not going to be in the poor house anytime soon so overpayed is relative. Hey, Hutchinson and Bentley, who are both interior lineman which is a traditionally low paying position, both got more money than anyone we signed. Next year, when the cap and profits go up again, the average FA contract will dwarf the ones we gave this year, just like they do every year.

This has been said before but I will repeat it in a different way. If we had a reciever last year who caught 40 balls for 600 yards Santana Moss would have led the league in Yards. Plus it would have put a weaker CB on Taylor Jacobs and it might of given him at least a chance to catch a ball.

There are a dozen reasons why someone with day-to-day access of the team could think Jason Campbell is not ready. The kid could have "happy feet" and rush/force his passes. It wouldn't matter what offense you run if Campbell couldn't get those type of issues under wraps.

But I guess I'm just a mouthpiece for LaCanfora. I must have missed it.

Sorry about the tone, didn't mean you're a mouthpiece for anyone.

I just don't think Joe Gibbs let's anyone outside the Redskins organization close enough to make that kind of evaluation. LaCanfora would have to say something like that through sources on the coaching staff who would have been the ones who actually got to see Jason practice and I just don't believe that he (LaCanfora) has those kind of sources.

LaConfora has always been fair with the team. He has earned my benefit of the doubt. I remember when we draft Campbell the word was he was going to need 2 years to be ready. I think all QBs should sit for 2 years anyway. Unless they blow you away in practice and preseason. We'll have to see if that happens.

And he is right about Collins. Collins is a carreer backup for a reason. Sure he knows the offense, but so did Maddox last year when he came in for Roethlisberger and he was still terrible. Koy Detmer knows the Philly offense backwards and forwards and he sucked when he played last year too. There are countless examples of this.

Archived