Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clayton sez: Skin's life to "Get tougher"

scskinsfan

John Clayton thinks the Fun and Gun's output against the Cardinals should have been expected given their weak defense and that the Eagle's should give a truer test. :doh:

http://football.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=was

Clayton: Life gets tougher

Steve Spurrier's Fun 'N Gun produced 31 points, 442 yards and a surprising 25 carries for halfback Stephen Davis. Just what Spurrier envisioned when he left Gainesville. But in some ways, that should have been the expectation. The Cardinals didn't have a pass-rush and have weaknesses at defensive end. Give any quarterback time and the ability to run the ball, and watch what he does. Life gets tougher Monday night. The big question in Washington is the health of Davis. He's playing with a groin injury that is very painful. Will that limit him against the Eagles? We'll see.

Seems like no matter what the Skins do, the talking heads will not give the Skins any respect. That's OK. It's better when you take it! :box:

Guys, there's no getting around the fact that the Philly defense - in its talent and in its scheme - is head and shoulders above the Cards, especially in the secondary, and even despite the injuries to them. Plain and simple, we always fight to score points against the Eagles, but not so against the Cards.

So I have no problem with those who say that Monday night will be a challenge for us on offense in ways that last Sunday was not. Indeed, I've said that very thing.

Where I have a problem for people is when they make the jump from the above logic to the conclusion (pre-ordained of course) that Spurrier's system still won't work. Clayton didn't do that, so no big deal.

I agree with Redman. I think SS did only what he had to do to beat the Cards and did not give the Eagles much to go on. While it is always possible to get blown out, SS has the advantage, the Eagles are not doing anything different than the past 2 years while the Skins have a whole bag of tricks the Beefsteak Andy hasn't seen. The Philly D is tough and agressive, but somehow, I can't bet against SS finding a weakness and exploiting it.

One thing I pointed out to my friends and family as we watched the game last week was that one of SS's strengths was making adjustments at the half and later in the game. I wouldn't be supprised at a slow start, but quick finish.

good pts Redman, and codearama, I kinda see it close in the early going- figure Philly gets a good dose of Davis, then Philly sorta takes the reigns..30-20 Philly.

And I for one do not think that SS's system wont work in the NFL, i think once he finds a QB and perhaps a complement to Gardner, look out.

Like you al said, it'll be tight in the first half, unless the beagles make some stupid mistakes. But what gives me great comfort after so many years of Norvous is the fact that SS will go in at the half and find a scheme or person that can be exploited. That you can take to the bank, and that is what has other teams so worried.

I like Jon Jansen's chances against Whiting, and Samuels always seems to shut down Hugh, one of the best pass rushers that he faces.

If there's one thing I like about SD, it's that he can block. He'll at least be servicable against the Iggles "vaunted" defenses. We also have the option of sending him out in the flat and dumping it off.

I like our chances.

Originally posted by JimboDaMan

No, its Clayton's life that will only get harder. I mean, have you seen that dude?

So look at it the other way. If that's the expectation against Zona, then if Hasselbeck doesn't throw 3 TDs and 300+ yards will Clayton question Mike Holmgren's ability to coach in this league?

My thoughts exactly, Jimbo. Spurrier has apparently set the baseline expectation for offensive output against the Cards.

If a team doesn't get at least 450 yds and 31 points, that team obviously has no business being in the league. Heck, they can't even match a college offense.:rolleyes:

Archived