Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With our new receivers, how many yards will CP get?

Stophovr6

With the addition of Antwaan Randel El, Brandon Lloyd, the recovery of David Patten, and the proven threat that is Santana Moss, how many yards do you think CP will get?

It seems to me CP will be even more effective given teams will be less likely to stack the box. Then again, with all the new WR threats, perhaps our offense will become more pass oriented.

CP ended the 2005 season with 1516 yards on 352 attempts.

Do you think he will get more yards or less?

Also, does he get that yardage with more or less carries?

:point2sky

for all those that think the Redskins are going to become Air Coryell II under Saunders, just go back and look at the yardage totals for Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson when they were healthy :)

the Redskins are still going to run the ball more than most clubs. I think the EFFICIENCY of the passing game will be better and you will see more big plays by a greater diversity of contributors.

More yardage, slightly less carries. With any luck we'll see his numbers revert to those he had as a Bronco (5 ypc, 1500+ yards without being run into the ground).

Thats what I'm hoping for. I love CP and want to see him get as many carries as possible but I hated the fact that he was so worn down by the time the playoffs started.

We do need to do a better job of managing his carries. To keep Portis upright to live up to his contract over a number of years we can't repeat what George Allen did to Larry Brown, who left the game as a near cripple. A guy that needed knee replacements.

Even up at 215-218 350 carries is a lot.

i would say that he gets bout 1700. I think he will have a HIGH YPC because he's going to break a lot of big runs. I know this might sound VERY "homerish" but hear me out....

Joe Gibbs/Al Saunders are HUGE running coaches. We all know this, i mean come on, Gibbs is CLEARLY run first, pass second. That being said, look at Joe Gibbs back in the SuperBowl years. BIG STRONG backs that liked to run over people more then around them....John Riggins, Gerald Riggs...etc. If i remember correctly we only had one streaker back play in a superbowl and he set the record for most yards in a superbowl and what not. NOW, look at the Offense Gibbs was running when we went to the superbowls, Veteran QB (Brunell), STRONG recieving corps (duh), strong o-line (buges is workin on that one), and the strong backs, all over 1000 yards, all successful. NOW he has CP, a very strong, but SPEEDY back that can break it at any point, we all know this.

ALSO.... Al Saunders, has had the speedy backs, but lacked the WR support in KC, and he's put up at least 1000 yards on MULTIPLE occasions, and brought in Larry Johnson and in 8 games or whatever he was on pace to make 2500 yards. Now he has the personell that he lacked in KC, he has the Team support that NO team has. This team is going to go FAR and Portis is going to SHATTER records on that path.

btw, i say he takes Alexander's TD record....didnt Holmes set that record under Saunders....?

They media will be talking about him being on pace for a 2000 yrd season by mid season. He will be avg well over 130 per game at the midway point. He will already have 6 runs over 30 yards. And at least 1 200 yard day.

Guest ComebackKing

Cp is going to do as well if not a little to moderately better next season. Just look for Brunell to air it our more to Lloyd and Randle El instead of Moss and Cooley as much.

I expected somebody to have said 2000 by now.

Larry Johnson had 1750 yards last season (and he was splitting time with Priest Holmes who had 451 yards). Portis gaining 2,000? It might be a stretch, but it is not outside the realm of possibility. :D

1550 yards on 320 carries.
I geuss that's the safe bet since it is about on par with his career averages.

If he has 320 carries though, I would expect him to finish in the 1600's or better. I think Portis is capable of averaging 5 yards a carry in this offense. He used to at Denver, Larry Johnson did last year, and he will see less 8 man fronts with our recent WR acquistions.

I would be shocked if he didn't have at least a couple hundred yards more on less carries. Like everyone has said, with the passing game that we will have it will be almost impossible for defenses to guard the pass and the run. They can't stack the box so he should be able to get into the secondary and create some havoc, especially if our receivers block down field. I also like the thought of the receivers stretching the field out and then hitting Portis or Cooley over the middle of the field for 15 to 20 yards. We should be able to give defenses fits this year. This offseason is way too long.

Archived