Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please read: To all those saying we overpaid, etc.

sableholic

Ok I took some time to answer the topic question mainly because everyone and their mother seems to keep saying "Oh we overpaid", etc, etc. I know there are many threads concerning this and if the mods feel it should be merged than so be it, but I figured this would be the one thread to dispell the ideas that we overpaid. Maybe later on I'll even try and find players with similar stats as the ones we signed to compare.

Theres a couple things that come up. Some people think Moss's contract is smaller than El's, some are shocked that Adam Archuleta's contract is so high etc. I'll try and address all those concerns along with the general overpaid idea.

First off when talking about Moss's contract, lets remember that he was through a trade. To quote Vinny "We wanted to get [Moss] locked for the long term. That's better than going through free agency when the money probably gets a lot higher."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41609-2005May6.html

With the new CBA there was a lot more money to be spread around, and as it has been, contracts generally increase from year to year. You can't pay a stellar QB the same thing you paid him in 2005. Just keep that in mind please, irregardless of the team the contract will generally be larger every year. Its just how it works. Even one years time means a higher salary.

Moving on to some actual numbers now, let's look at a number of players contracts.

Moss's Contract = 6 year 31 million dollar contract with 11 million guaranteed. 3 million Signing Bonus, but also has a $7m option bonus due in 2006 (that triggers the 2011 year on the contract, which he achieves if he plays 45 % of the downs any year b/w 2006 -2010) and a $910k roster bonus also due in 2006 which = 10.910 million.

Randle El's Contract = 7 year 31 million dollar contract. Now just looking at that I don't see how anyone can say thats larger than Moss's, mind boggling to me. But anyways he got 11.5 million in guaranteed money, a 10 million signing bonus and a 1.5 million roster bonus. Pretty comparable guaranteed money wise, although it is definately a higher SB.

Lloyd's Contract = I’m not sure where your problem is, hes playing under his tender from the 49ers. It's a standard tender, not sure how thats our fault or anything of that sorts.

Carter= 6 year 30 million deal, He will receive at least $10 million in guaranteed money. Couldn't find SB numbers.

Now another hot topic = AA vs ST.

Archuletta = 6 year 30 million dollar deal. 10 million signing bonus.

Just for note his Rookie contract = 5 year 6.35 million with 3 mill SB. He was drafted later in the first though.

Taylor = 7 year deal worth 18 million. This is his rookie contract, it is generally determined by the standard money you pay at the draft pick, so not sure why you fault us. He got a 7.2 million signing bonus.

However read this little quote "Sources told the Associated Press that the contract has escalator clauses that can make the deal worth up to $40 million over six years, and the seventh year can be voided." I don't know what the escalators are and how reasonable they are, but neither do you. So if he achieved all of them its already a bigger deal than AA. Either way though, it's a rookie contract and he will get a new huge deal, should I say "The highest paid Safety". Which is stupid because as others have pointed out, the salary cap goes up every year, so its pretty much guaranteed the newest signing will be the highest.

Now lets just break some of those #'s down in terms of just Base Salaries.

S. Taylor = .23 million

S. Taylor = .305 mill

Moss = .540 mill

Patten = .665 mill

S. Taylor = .425 million

Archuleta = .585 million

Moss = 1 mill

Patten = 1.085 mill

El = .585 mill

Lloyd = 1.573 mill

Carter = .585 mill

S. Taylor = .625 mill

Archuleta = .595 mill

Moss = 2.85 mill

Patten = 1.25 mill

El = .595 mill

Carter = .595 mill

S. Taylor = .865 mill

Archuleta = 1 mill

Moss = 3.25 mill

Patten = 1.5 mill

El = .82 mill

Carter = .92 mill

S. Taylor = 1.105 mill

Archuleta = 4 mill

Moss = 3.7 mill

Patten = 2 mill

El = 4 mill

Carter = 2 mill

As I'm sure has been said a million times before, its standard Redskins contracts, we give three years of low salaries. That way if they don't produce to our likings, we can cut them. Just look for yourself at the numbers. In 2009, if those players aren't performing, they will be cut. Now say we cut all of them.

AA's contract would then have been 3 years for 10 million + 2.18 million = 12.18 million dollars. avg of 4.06 million a year. Does that sound so bad to you?

El's contract would be 3 years for 11.5 million + 2 = 13.5 million. Again not so bad, avg of 4.5 mill a year.

Carter's contract would be 3 years for 10 million + 2.1 million = 12.1 million, which is about the same as AA's.

What people just can't seem to comprehend is how the Redskins do their contracts. Lets just put it simply, they are backloaded. Small base salaries, relatively large signing bonus, and after year 3 the base salaries jump. What this means is it gives the Skins options. Say they suck, get injured, etc etc. We can let them go within the 3 years and will be fine. Say they do good, well we can renegotiate with them, offering them more guaranteed money and lowering their base salaries, which would help both parties. We can spread out that money and they can rest easy knowing they got more money. On that note, if we made a mistake with anybody, it was Patten. His numbers seem pretty high compared to his output.

Sources:

http://nflpa.org/Members/main.asp?subPage=Player+Search+Results

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyID=2006-03-14T134027Z_01_L14650519_RTRUKOC_0_US-NFL-REDSKINS.xml&archived=False

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/redskins/2006-03-13-redskins-haul_x.htm

some other places I forget now.

One thing I will say about the subject - you show how Moss's contract and Randle El's contract are similar in guaranteed money, with El's being slightly more. That would be fine, except that they are not the same caliber WR. I would contend (just playing devils advocate here) that you paid slightly higher for a lesser WR. El has been a #3 and a #2 in his career, and yet he's making a little more than your #1.

Really, the only contracts that are fair to compare are El's vs. Moss's, because they are the only two not decided by a predetermined slotting system (like the draft or RFA tenders):

ST = rookie contract, so cant compare to AA's contract

BL = RFA tender, set salary

One thing I will say about the subject - you show how Moss's contract and Randle El's contract are similar in guaranteed money, with El's being slightly more. That would be fine, except that they are not the same caliber WR. I would contend (just playing devils advocate here) that you paid slightly higher for a lesser WR. El has been a #3 and a #2 in his career, and yet he's making a little more than your #1.

fair enough, which is why I posted the quote from Vinny. It was a trade, not someone who was out in the open for all to try and grab up. I assume we tried to make sure others couldn't get him. Hence the driven up price. Also I would note that as you have said before, Moss had potential, but his numbers were not amazing. So if you look prior to this season, Moss's stats were 2416 yards, where as El has 2012 yards. Pretty similar. Moss has the edge, but I think he also has the edge in terms of the contract as I tried to show. Yes El makes more guaranteed money, but it still in overall terms is slightly less. However that said, El's contract has to be based on potential. He was in a primarily rushing offense as you know, so I would assume they are hoping he can produce more here. That remains to be seen of course.

Really, the only contracts that are fair to compare are El's vs. Moss's, because they are the only two not decided by a predetermined slotting system (like the draft or RFA tenders):

ST = rookie contract, so cant compare to AA's contract

BL = RFA tender, set salary

Yep, which is why I don't understand the AA vs ST comparisons. I guess I should find a person comparable to Carter, but I'm not in the mood. Just showing the breakdown of the base salaries I think should clear up a lot of misconceptions. I'm hoping at least.

fair enough, which is why I posted the quote from Vinny. It was a trade, not someone who was out in the open for all to try and grab up. I assume we tried to make sure others couldn't get him. Hence the driven up price. Also I would note that as you have said before, Moss had potential, but his numbers were not amazing. So if you look prior to this season, Moss's stats were 2416 yards, where as El has 2012 yards. Pretty similar. Moss has the edge, but I think he also has the edge in terms of the contract as I tried to show. Yes El makes more guaranteed money, but it still in overall terms is slightly less. However that said, El's contract has to be based on potential. He was in a primarily rushing offense as you know, so I would assume they are hoping he can produce more here. That remains to be seen of course.

El has potential, but he wasn't even a #1 on his run-first team. Contracts are a lot about timing though, you are right. Moss signed his when he wasn't putting up great numbers. If he signed one now I am sure his contract would blow ARE's out of the water. You mention Carter's contract - any recently signed DE's to compare him to, perhaps Darren Howard :D ?

People who say that ARE is a lesser WR probably were the same people saying that Moss didnt deserve the money that he got when he signed with the Skins last year. Moss never put up the #s for the Jets that he put up last season for the Skins. So for the people who say that we paid more money for a lesser reciever may want to wait till the end of the season before saying it out loud.

El has potential, but he wasn't even a #1 on his run-first team. Contracts are a lot about timing though, you are right. Moss signed his when he wasn't putting up great numbers. If he signed one now I am sure his contract would blow ARE's out of the water. You mention Carter's contract - any recently signed DE's to compare him to, perhaps Darren Howard :D ?

Darren Howard seems like a very good comparison. Their stats, injuries, years pro, etc are very similar. Howard is 3 years older, but still very similar and both good players when on the field. So lets compare them

6 year deal 30 million dollars, 10.5 guaranteed. Sound similar? It should, Carter's is 6 years 30 mill, at least 10 guaranteed. So I can't see how anyone could say we overpaid for him.

On to the breakdown of base salaries:

Carter = .585 mill

Howard = 1 mill

Carter = .595 mill

Howard = 2 mill

Carter = .92 mill

Howard = 2.5 mill

Carter = 2 mill

Howard = 2 mill

So, I thought maybe the Eagles front-loaded it, but 2010 actually goes up to 3.5 mill. Odd, but to each his own. So if both were to be cut in 2009

Carter's contract would be 3 years for 12.1 million

Howard's contract would be 3 years for 10.5 mill + 5.5 mill = 16 million

Difference = 3.9 million dollars. I'd say we got a steal, but of course that remains to be seen. Either way the contract in no way appears to be overpaying and simply is our standard and what looks like the standard money value for a DE of the calibur of Howard or Carter.

Source:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/PHI

People who say that ARE is a lesser WR probably were the same people saying that Moss didnt deserve the money that he got when he signed with the Skins last year. Moss never put up the #s for the Jets that he put up last season for the Skins. So for the people who say that we paid more money for a lesser reciever may want to wait till the end of the season before saying it out loud.

I'll say it right now. Write it down if you want.

When Moss was brought in, most people rated him as a #3 who could play #2.

So when ARE puts up career #'s this season I guess you will say it again huh?

I'm saying that he's not the WR Santana is, and that he won't be at the end of the season either. He could get 600 yds this year and have a career year. That doesn't make him anywhere near the WR Moss is.

That's the thing though, the Skins are basically paying all non-QB, non-RBs the same money. Everybody is being brought in with a similar contract. I'd be willing to bet that Brandon Lloyd will soon sign an extension for the same amount. It's why we didn't offer Pierce and Smoot more than Washington and Springs. Makes for a much happier locker room.

I'm saying that he's not the WR Santana is, and that he won't be at the end of the season either. He could get 600 yds this year and have a career year. That doesn't make him anywhere near the WR Moss is.[/quote

So you are saying that you are one of the few that thought (at the time of his signing) that Moss was a great WR that deserved that big of a contract? I get the feeling that you are like the majority and jumped on the Moss wagon after he broke out as a dominant WR.

I'm saying that he's not the WR Santana is, and that he won't be at the end of the season either. He could get 600 yds this year and have a career year. That doesn't make him anywhere near the WR Moss is.[/quote

So you are saying that you are one of the few that thought (at the time of his signing) that Moss was a great WR that deserved that big of a contract? I get the feeling that you are like the majority and jumped on the Moss wagon after he broke out as a dominant WR.

What? NO. I'm saying that RIGHT NOW Moss is a better WR, and he still will be at the end of the season. :doh:

Archived