Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

hugs or handshakes

gortiz

hey,

I've always wondered about this, when leaving a job, do you give hugs or handshakes to your female workers? Leaving other jobs I've given handshakes when people reached to give me a hug and I've tried to give hugs to people as their sticking out there hands out for a handshake?

I know, I sound like Jerry Seinfield but how do you figure out which to do? I've been at this job a year, I've got to know the people in my Office pretty well, but not that well.

I know this is a tall order, but all aspiring and frustrated comedians save your witty posts for another thread :silly: I need some solid advice here! thx.

Okay, if your gonna break my ballz make it funny! :laugh:

Females... hug and, depending on how you know them, maybe a peck on the cheek.

You can kinda' tell how certain women will react beforehand.

PECK ON THE CHEEK! Whoa, man, I was freaking out about a hug, not that I care, I have no problem getting close to a few of these broads, I just want to avoid the awkardness, I want to get in and out oh boy, I'm asking for it.

Your right though, those first few seconds you can get a good read on wehter to go to the hug play or just stick out you paw, but that is cutting it close.

If you're attracted to them, a hug and a little smack on the ass. :silly:

Seriously, if you were close with them and by close I mean hung out after work, there is nothing wrong with a hug. Otherwise, a handshake is professional. If you don't know if a hug is wanted, see if they initiate the hug. :2cents:

I would advise a handshake...never a hug unless she initiates it.

99% of the time, if you hug someone there most likely will not be a problem...but....

...where I work, one day two co-workers are chatting in the hall over a sup of coffee. When the conversation ends, the guy puts his hand on the back of the girls neck - like you were patting someone on the back - and said something like have a nice day.

Next thing you know he was called into Personnel for creating a hostile work environment. Apparently the lady perceived there was more to it than just a pat on the back (and it may have been...I wasn't there and only heard one side of the story). The guy never got in any real trouble...only a warning...and then all of us had to go through a refresher course on harassment.

Sucks...but thats the world we live in...

I would advise a handshake...never a hug unless she initiates it.

99% of the time, if you hug someone there most likely will not be a problem...but....

...where I work, one day two co-workers are chatting in the hall over a sup of coffee. When the conversation ends, the guy puts his hand on the back of the girls neck - like you were patting someone on the back - and said something like have a nice day.

Next thing you know he was called into Personnel for creating a hostile work environment. Apparently the lady perceived there was more to it than just a pat on the back (and it may have been...I wasn't there and only heard one side of the story). The guy never got in any real trouble...only a warning...and then all of us had to go through a refresher course on harassment.

Sucks...but thats the world we live in...

how idiotic. Idiot women like this piss me off. They need to get over their prudish ways and stop overreacting. If the girl got pissed about it, she should have told the guy, NOT went to the boss. It's like tattling.

I've always found that a little toung works wonders. :laugh:

Seriously, you should know by now wich women rate a hug based on how well you know them and how well you get along. If you are not sure play it by ear based on how they act. Bottom line though, unless your idea of a hug is a long embrace and maybe some heavy petting I wouldn't worry about it one way or another. But then again, maybe you have a relationship there that merits that kind of hug, what do I know. :D

:cheers:

how idiotic. Idiot women like this piss me off. They need to get over their prudish ways and stop overreacting. If the girl got pissed about it, she should have told the guy, NOT went to the boss. It's like tattling.

Well...a hand on the neck is pretty intimate, and I can see how someone would feel uncomfortable by it. Maybe it wasn't just the hand on the neck as well...maybe there was a bunch of other stuff, and that was the final straw or something :whoknows:.

To gortiz: You're leaving the company, right? Hugs all around, man! If you're genuine about it and just exude happiness, nobody is going to mind. Hugs aren't a big deal imho..guys or girls. Maybe its just me...:whoknows:

Most of my male colleagues seem to reach for a hug or a kiss on the cheek when I see them (I actually appreciate it) but I think it's because I'm a typical southerner (yes, Florida is the south) and I'm pretty touchy-feely. The ones who reach for a handshake are seeing me for either the 1st or 2nd time ever.

Having said that, you should always err on the side of professionalism or see if the lady leans in toward you.

Archived