Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ego Boost for Taylor Jacobs (Hindsight Humor)

Fergasun

I've been snooping around the archives. I came across a bunch of gems.

12. St. Louis Rams -- Taylor Jacobs, WR, Florida

The Rams need a wide receiver because they never really filled the void left by the departed Az-Zahir Hakim. Jacobs is clearly the third-best wideout in this draft, and he was among the best players at the Senior Bowl practices. A polished receiver, he would be a major contributor as a rookie.

(April 25) - 19. Taylor Jacobs, WR, Florida

Player evaluation: Taylor Jacobs

War Room analysis

Hands: Better than average. Consistently catches balls over his head. Has good leaping ability and is acrobatic. Has trouble catching on the run, however, which takes away from his run-after-catch production. Grade: 8.4

Patterns: Isn't physical. Gets pushed around at times and most of his struggles come against strong, physical corners, but has good size and excellent speed. Shows good burst and quickness off the line. Is a vertical threat. Has great body control. Sinks his hips and bursts both in and out of his breaks. Has some big-play flair. Must improve coverage recognition. Grade: 8.3

Run after catch: Is a threat after the catch when he gets the ball in stride. Has good vision and excels at changing directions. Shows a second gear in the open field. Can run away from most defenders. Grade: 8.5

Release: Has good size, quickness and suddenness. Shows the initial burst and speed to gain separation. But this is an area of concern because he is neither physical nor strong enough at the point of attack. Must improve strength and show better moves to break the press in the NFL. Grade: 7.9

Blocking: A willing hard worker here, but gets pushed around too much for his size. Shows marginal pop and struggles to sustain once locked on. Grade: 7.8

Bottom line: Durability will be a concern with Jacobs, but he proved this past season that he has the potential to develop into a legitimate No. 1 receiver on an NFL team. He is likely to be drafted in the middle-to-late first round.

Is a speed receiver with a wiry build. Competes for the ball. Runs good routes, and has solid hands. Is a straight-line runner without much wiggle, but has a knack for getting yardage after the catch. Knows the game, and works hard.

Pompei WR ranking: No. 3.

20. Taylor Jacobs, WR, Florida: The third receiver after the top two, which should help his draft status. But there's a clear distinction between the top two and him. Board status: Steady.

Post-Draft Analysis

I thought he was a first-round draft pick. He has good size, excellent speed and I considered him the best route runner in this draft. He gets in and out of his breaks like a little receiver. Carson Palmer at the Senior Bowl said he was the best receiver he ever threw to. He reminds me of Seahawks WR Darrell Jackson. He will start for the Redskins by September. For a team that had to wait to the 44th pick for their first selection, they got a great player.
Taylor Jacobs was one of the steals of the draft at 44th overall.

Redskins.com Story

Jacobs Gets First Taste of NFL

05/02/2003

By Jason Gould

Editor, Redskins.com

For rookie wide receiver Taylor Jacobs, his first day on the practice field in the NFL had some positive moments and some plays he'd like to avoid in the future. In one particular sequence, a solid deep route was followed by a dropped pass that appeared to be thrown perfectly.

"The first day you're always a little rusty," Jacobs said after the team's afternoon practice. "I hope to do some better things tomorrow. Today was just a day to get back into the rhythm of football. I hope by tomorrow I'm playing with a little more confidence."

The Redskins are in the middle of a three-day mini-camp. The team practiced twice on Friday, and has practices scheduled for Saturday and Sunday. The sessions are closed to the public.

Washington drafted Jacobs with its first pick in the 2003 draft, the 44th overall selection. He played under Redskins head coach Steve Spurrier at Florida for three seasons, and Friday's practices provided him the first opportunity since the 2001 college season to work in Spurrier's offensive system again.

"It takes a little bit of time to adjust," Jacobs said. "The system is fairly complex. But you can handle it with the right amount of studying."

Jacobs, who many scouts predicted would be selected in the first round, is trying to earn playing time among the wide receivers. Spurrier has said wide receivers Rod Gardner and Laveranues Coles are the team's starters.

Said Jacobs: "Things didn't go the way I wanted them to in the draft. I'm coming in here with a chip on my shoulder and something to prove to the teams that passed on me. I'm not going to let it get to me, I'm going to come out here with a positive frame of mind and try to get better."

For Jacobs and most rookies, this weekend's mini-camp provides the first opportunity to practice with an NFL team. Jacobs says he's trying to adjust to changes on the field and off.

"I looked around and I saw people like Bruce Smith," Jacobs said. "I just looked up and there he was. It's an adjustment coming to the NFL. You have to try to take it in stride, and realize that even these stars put their pants on one leg at a time."

He never got a chance! Those nagging little injuries cropped up just when he was ready to emerge from his shell. He was a superstar in practice -- ask anyone! -- but mean ol' Joe Gibbs never called plays for him and Mark Brunell would never look his way in the games anyway. You'll see -- he's emerge as a dominant receiver for some other team.

[Note dripping sarcasm...]

For the first couple of seasons I thought he didn't get a real chance to prove himself. After this season he had his chance and did not produce. I would trade him for a 7th round pick without thinking twice. What happen, Can't put my finger on the exact problem.

I feel the same way but I have no urge to get rid of him, he's solid depth. I was hoping once he got his chance he was going to explode into the WR we needed, but his chance came and went and he did very little with it.

Jacobs is a bona fide high draft pick major bust. Early 2nd round pick who's been in the NFL three full seasons and has virtually ZERO to show for it. By all accounts a nice guy, but can't do it on game day. He'll NEVER get a better chance than when Santana was being double and triple covered and Cooley had a spy on him and was always facing single coverage and couldn't get open or make a catch. Absent injurues in camp, I see no possibility other than the waiver wire for him.

I'm sorry, but I can't help but read this and chuckle:

Doesn't that describe him to a T?

LOL. Yeah, I laughed at that one. I think it's pretty accurate of Jacobs. So, let's see, the only routes available to him are the screen and the come backs. :laugh:

What's made this whole debacle with Jacobs so frustrating is all the praise he's gotten from his teammates. You listen to what they say about him every year, and you start to think, "this could be his year." He's apparently been a stud in practice and , IIRC, Springs said he was the most impressive receiver and the toughest to cover.

On Sundays, though, he just can't ever seem to get open. EVER. Didn't he run like a 4.4 at his Pro Day workout prior to the draft? It seems strange that he can't get any separation with that kind of speed. Then again, I guess he has the kind of speed that doesn't really translate well to the football field.

He's also shown poor hands and terrible concentration. Whenever I saw a pass headed towards him I knew that it was going to be an adventure. Nothing was an easy grab. And he never seemed to be able to fight for the ball. :mad: Just a fragile guy in every way.

Look at me. I'm writing about him as if he's already gone. :)

I really love reading the 16-22 year olds on this board blasting a pro player who doesn't meet their expectations.

Ya know lots of guys don't make it in the pros, for lots of reasons. Most players never even get that far, and most wannbes never do anything of note.

I don't know what Jacobs will do in the future. Maybe he will be a total bust, or maybe not. But, yes I am a life-long Gator fan; I followed him in college and belive me he was the real deal and might fool some fools yet.

Taylor was, and for the time being still is, a Redskin. I hate to see Redskins disrespected on this board. But, there is this to consider; whatever the future holds for Taylor, he is guaranteed to have a healthier bank account than most of you guys can ever dream of. So how is that for a little hindsight humor?

:notworthy

I really love reading the 16-22 year olds on this board blasting a pro player who doesn't meet their expectations.

Ya know lots of guys don't make it in the pros, for lots of reasons. Most players never even get that far, and most wannbes never do anything of note.

I don't know what Jacobs will do in the future. Maybe he will be a total bust, or maybe not. But, yes I am a life-long Gator fan; I followed him in college and belive me he was the real deal and might fool some fools yet.

Taylor was, and for the time being still is, a Redskin. I hate to see Redskins disrespected on this board. But, there is this to consider; whatever the future holds for Taylor, he is guaranteed to have a healthier bank account than most of you guys can ever dream of. So how is that for a little hindsight humor?

:notworthy

We aren't comparing Jacobs to ourselves, we are comparing him to other NFL players...

You should not use your biased love affair for Jacobs when we are trying to evaluate him here.

:doh:

Archived