Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WHY do you think our offense will be successful this season?

EnFoRcEr_uPu

Besides the obvious...

We all know of the additions to our team in both the staff and roster, but why or how do you think we will be successful this season on offense?

Personally, I think the shear fact that our offense won't looking anything like our offense from the past few years will make it almost impossible for teams to game plan for us(especially Week 1). My guess is that will lead to our offense seeing a lot of zone coverage, which for the type of wideouts we have would be a field day!

I think it's obvious that our offense will be much more productive next year.

However..

With the new additions to the team, it does nothing for team chemistry. This team needs to gel to be successful. I would say that's the most important factor there. It seems everyone is happy with all of the new additions and hopefully that's true.

If this team gets the chemistry it had during that six game streak at the conclusion of last season, this team will be very tough to beat.

From what I have read (here and elsewhere) our new offensive head coach likes to mix it up so as to keep defenses guessing as to what is coming at them. Last season defenses knew we were going to run or first and second downs and a roll left pass on third. We were very predictable.

This year I expect to see more passing on first and second down and I expect more of passing from the pocket (so the whole field is in play) instead of the roll-outs (which narrow the field by half or less).

I expect we will pass all over the field to lots of different receivers (picking the best match-up). For example that WR screen (or quick pass in the flat) will not just go to Santana; but may go to the receiver on the other side if that is the mismatch.

To counter the rush we will use the draw, or the screen pass, or those quick timing patterns.

Last season defenses played to stop the run on first down and came with the blitz with double team of Santana and rolled to the side where our QB was going. That won't happen this season.

The Skins look solid along the offensive line, at WR, at TE, and at RB. The only real question marks are QB and OL depth. The Skins could survive (knock wood) a Portis injury or a Moss injury. An injury to just about anyone on the OL would be tough.

And QB, as we all know, is the single most important position on the field. Brunell played heroically down the stretch, but the man is pretty old to be playing a kid's game.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Skins offense. I don't think ARE or Lloyd are great WRs, but they don't need to be. Moss has that covered. And Cooley and Portis are Pro Bowlers in my mind. So the talent is there. It all comes down to quarterbacking, as it always does.

Al Saunders

That's the main reason for hope. If we had a QB who could really throw the football downfield and put pressure on the defense, we could turn into an offensive powerhouse overnight. Brunell has never been that kind of QB, and he definitely isn't at this stage of his career. Campbell was not that kind of QB in his one good year in college. Assuming we trade Ramsey and go in with Brunell, Campbell and Collins, what is likely to happen is that they'll try to find some way to merge Saunders' approach with Gibbs's ball control approach in a way that masks the deficiencies at the QB position. I have a feeling the new WR acquisitions may find themselves without quite as much to do as they would like, as we continue to focus on the running game and the short pass.

My biggest concern on offense is the QB position. We can be loaded at all of the other positions, but without a steady QB, we can't take advantage of all of the talent. My concern is that Brunell is shaky like at the end of last season (and like 2 years ago) due to injury/age. I'm not sold that GB will make it an open competition at QB at training camp although I am hoping for it. I would love to see JC at the helm to start the season. That way, we have some athleticism (like when Brunell scrambles for first downs) and a young guy to take over for the future. We would just need JC to manage the game and not force anything and I think he can do that. Only time will tell w/ the QB position this year, but that position will make or break us in my opinion.

Al Saunders. Simple as that. I disagree with the zone comment. Our recievers excell more in a man-to-man environment, because they are guys who are great when the ball is in the air(Moss, Lloyd). In a zone, you have to have a QB with a strong enough arm to fit the ball in between the zone, which Brunell doenst have. But against man to man, you can let our reciever go up and make a play.

Guest gayformoss

Defense will be as good as ever.

And with the addtions of Lloyd, Randle El, and Al saunders, get a little o-line back-up help and......

lombardi trophy #4 here we come!!!!!!!!!

:point2sky

Guest gayformoss

plus as far as Qbs go I would rather have Brunell than Mcnabb(choker the eagles WILL NEVER WIN a super bowl w/ him) or Drew please sack me bledsoe.

and I would take cambell before over rated eli any day!!!!!!!!

p.s. the Eagles would have been better off getting rid of mcnabb and keeping TO

you gotta love owens just for what he did to dallas and having the guts to speak the truth about mcnabb

I think our O will be great because of one person. AL Saunders, he lead the chiefs with no Wr and a Beast T.E. and a average QB(at the time) plus a amazing RB. We have Beast Wrs and great T.E.(Cooley) and a good QB (Brunell) and a great RB.

#1-#3 O this year.

Archived