Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook hates: March Madness

Westbrook36

It seems like more of the general public "loves" this more than even the World Series or other major championships.

There is one reason and one reason alone. The stupid office pool which everyone from sports freaks to soccer moms fill out thinking they know enough about all 64 teams in the tourney to make informed decisions.

You can be sure there will always be HUGE INTRIGUE for "Selection Sunday" as they'll have a few cams on some teams "on the bubble" and the reactions of joy and/or sorrow. Every year it's the same and every year America falls for this fake drama.

I always talk to people who have filled out a pool and ask them who is their "sleeper" this year. 90 percent of the people always say Gonzaga, until they got good and moved up. Try this yourself this year and see how right I am. Gonzaga is full of scrappy white kids so they fall into the perfect choice as a "sleeper" even though they have been great for about 8 years straight and everyone knows about them. Just sustitute Gonzaga for another scrappy white team and you have a winner (among office pools).

I won't watch one minute of college basketball this year, just like every other year, because I could care less. If it weren't for office pools, NCAA Basketball wouldn't even be televised. You might laugh but I am 100 percent right.

Most people who fill out pools come into work and open up some sorta sports page or watch Jim Nance to actually find out something about the 64 teams before they start filling out their "brackets". What a joke.

Yes, a lot of people do love it, me for 1. It's not about making "imformed" decisions on the picks, it's about having fun with it. I would expect you to hate it though, I mean, what does Philly have to offer in the way of basketball, Temple?

Baseball does not blow :nana:

Yes, a lot of people do love it, me for 1. It's not about making "imformed" decisions on the picks, it's about having fun with it. I would expect you to hate it though, I mean, what does Philly have to offer in the way of basketball, Temple?

Baseball does not blow :nana:

Actually - the big 5 in Philly ('Nova, Temple, LaSalle, Penn, and St. Joe's) have great inner-city competitions. I challenge you to find another city that has 5 teams that have a legit shot at making the NCAAs every year (with the exception of Philly).

ps. Temple blows, good ridance to Cheney.

So you're saying it is something that people get interested in and enjoy, despite the fact that they're NOT experts. Wow. You're right. They should just get rid of the NCAA altogether. The nerve!! :doh:

I really don't understand what your gripe is. Are you really that bitter? Does it really bother you that much that people from all walks of life enjoy it, even though they're not die-hard fans?

As a thoughtful individual committed to your continual intellectual growth, I will now give you the real reason why March Madness is so popular. It is the only major sporting event that blankets the entirety of this huge country. From Hawaii to Maine theoretically, everyone's got a horse in the race. Plus, everyone loves an underdog except, sadly, Eagles fans.

It seems like more of the general public "loves" this more than even the World Series or other major championships.

Right, the general public is wrong, Westy is right. Of course.

There is one reason and one reason alone. The stupid office pool which everyone from sports freaks to soccer moms fill out thinking they know enough about all 64 teams in the tourney to make informed decisions.

The office pools and oh, yea, the dozens of great games in a 2 week period.

You can be sure there will always be HUGE INTRIGUE for "Selection Sunday" as they'll have a few cams on some teams "on the bubble" and the reactions of joy and/or sorrow. Every year it's the same and every year America falls for this fake drama.

Yeah, id much rather watch the real drama of American Idol or anything else happening right ow on the planet.

I always talk to people who have filled out a pool and ask them who is their "sleeper" this year. 90 percent of the people always say Gonzaga, until they got good and moved up. Try this yourself this year and see how right I am. Gonzaga is full of scrappy white kids so they fall into the perfect choice as a "sleeper" even though they have been great for about 8 years straight and everyone knows about them. Just sustitute Gonzaga for another scrappy white team and you have a winner (among office pools).

God i hope the point comes soon......

I won't watch one minute of college basketball this year, just like every other year, because I could care less. If it weren't for office pools, NCAA Basketball wouldn't even be televised. You might laugh but I am 100 percent right.

Good, Westy thinks exactly the opposite of how I feel. All is right with the world. I did laugh.

Most people who fill out pools come into work and open up some sorta sports page or watch Jim Nance to actually find out something about the 64 teams before they start filling out their "brackets". What a joke.

Man, i was waiting for that point. It never came. I feel cheated.

Do all of us MM fans a favor. Dont watch, and dont post about not watching. No one cares.

I was taking a shot at Temple, I know about the comp between them all. Nova however is not in Philly, it's west of Philly

Nova is a philly team though...if you spent any time in the city this year after football season you will see that. Granted, many locals would rather root for a city school like Temple over the rich kids from the main line, but year in and year out Nova gets the majority of the college basketball coverage from the local media.

Wow, so enlightened... I don't like the Masters or the PGA but I'm not going to try and make everyone who likes it feel like a jackass. I fill out the brackets because I think it's fun and it's something to talk about. If someone banned people from making brackets, the high-level of competition would be enough to keep me watching.

A couple of questions for ya:

1. If the brackets are the only thing that makes people watch the games, why do so many people watch the Jimmy V classics, Maui Invitational, and conference play, all of which don't have everyone making brackets?

2. What makes the drama of a team with Championship aspirations (kids, mind you) "fake"? Is it "fake drama" when NFL teams watch games Week 17 with their season riding on games' outcome?

3. Is it fake drama that a college senior may never play the collegiate game he loves and has dedicated his life to ever again and is depending on getting a birth on post-season play?

I think the drama is much greater than that of the NFL, who almost always have the next season to make their play. Most college athletes only have four years and four years only.

I don't particularly like college basketball's system, but I think the competition is tremendous, bracket or no. Do you think the players on the 64 teams care about fans' brackets? Hell no, and that's what makes it great without the brackets.

I can understand why someone might not like college basketball or care about the tournament, but why ostracize those who do? You're not changing anyone's mind, you're just looking like a jackass.

March Madness is the greatest sporting event in the world. Period. I take vacation every year so I don't miss a game. I'm having surgery tomorrow morning....I told my surgeon he has to be done by noon so I can catch the early games tomorrow. :)

March Madness is the greatest sporting event in the world. Period. I take vacation every year so I don't miss a game. I'm having surgery tomorrow morning....I told my surgeon he has to be done by noon so I can catch the early games tomorrow. :)

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Im with you Raub. March Madness is my favorite time of year. Especially when St Paddy's falls on the same day my squad plays AND a Friday.

Thats my drinking equivilant of an extinction level event.

Man, March Madness is the best time of year for me. I'm a big college basketball fan, I look forward to this week every year.

And watching the last game that went to double overtime (a 13 seed against a team many pick to make the Final Four), any team can win, which makes it that more exciting. Great stuff to watch, it's been fun so far.

I'm sorry westbrook but this tournament is one of the best sporting events on TV.

Not only that, this tournament has more drama and shocking moments than any of todays so called "Reality shows" :puke:

I think you just feel the need to rant you can't possibly tell me you couldnt have the least bit fun sitting back eatin some wings :hungry: , drinkin some brew :chug: and yellow highlighting your wise choice picks during the games.

If you do feel that way I feel sorry for you and hope that one day you will discover the joys this tournament can actually bring to your life.

Oh and by the way, the reason so many people from kids to mothers do the brackets is becuase they enjoy it and it makes them feel good. Don't you enjoy doing things that make you feel good as well?

I feel dirty, I am in agreement with an eagles fan.....

I hate March maddness with a passion, the reason there is nothing else going on in this month on TV anywhere else is cause every F$*&ing game is on TV somewhere and nobody has the guts to throw a new episode of anything against it except for maybe Lost (all new next wednesday :D). And BASEBALL IS THE GREATEST SPORT EVER!!!!! Basketball was invented to give an athletics department teacher something to do indoors with his students when it was too cold outside....

I hate the sport of Basketball and I think it should die, it produces nothing but the biggest thugs in our society and glorifies them so that little kids become thugs to impersonate them, There are thugs in all levels of the sport and that in cludes the NCAA.

Baseball is not a dead or dying sport as some of you have said, It has pained me that I can't watch a spring training game or can barely find a WBC game on because they are showing Basketball on 50 different stations.

Now on the reverse, my brother loves the stuff especially the NCAA and the Final Four tourney, he really gets into the whole march maddness thing and his favorite team is Duke. I just don't see what is so interesting, it is infinitly harder to hit a baseball being thrown at 98 mph than it is to thorw a big ball into a bigger hoop only 10 feet off the ground. Every year there is some big controversy about how teams like Duke are getting all the good calls and it seems like the sport is so far beyond corrupt that I can't take it any more.

Well I guess this is a good month for me to make use of my DVD collection...

where's wb36?

:crickets:

Defending my turf in "Around the NFL". :laugh:

If College BBall is your thing, this isn't directed at you. It's directed at the rest of the 90 percent of people who fill out brackets, and bug me at work asking "Who you got in the final four?!!?!" when they can't name three players off of any teams in their final four.

Archived