Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor - Skins interested in Ike Taylor?

RDSKNFN_48

Redskins | I. Taylor possibly drawing interest

Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:59:48 -0800

Joe Bendel, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports the Washington Redskins might have interest in restricted free agent CB Ike Taylor (Steelers). The Steelers offered Taylor a $1.55 million tender, meaning any team that signs him would have to give a first-round draft choice as compensation if the Steelers let him go.

I searched and didn't see anything on this. From a Pittsburgh paper.

Can't imagine they would do this but maybe the Steelers would accept our 2nd rounder. Thoughts?

Restricted free agent cornerback Ike Taylor, who received a $1.55 million tender from the Steelers, has attracted interest from other teams. If one of those teams signs Taylor to an offer sheet, the Steelers would have to match it or would lose Taylor and be compensated with a first-round draft choice. The Redskins could be one of those teams.

Link

We wouldn't be giving up a first for Ike Taylor, this situation is similar to Brandon Lloyd where we could have given up a first rounder for him but instead we worked out a deal with the 49ers. The only question is, what would we be giving up? Anyone with insider want to post his evaluation?

You guys realize Brandon Lloyd had a 1st round tender as well right?

Just because a player is tendered at that level doesn't mean the team is looking for compensation at that level. And like Lloyd, Taylor was a 4th round pick. So that tender only really means the Steelers didn't want to only get a 4th rounder as compensation. So what's between the 1st and 4th rounds?

#24 Ike Taylor | CB

Full Name: Ivan Taylor

Born: May 5, 1980

New Orleans, LA

Height: 6-1

Weight: 191 lbs.

Pos: CB

Experience: 3 years

College: Louisiana-Lafayette

Drafted: Year:2003 Round:4 Pick:28, Steelers

TACK 84.0 | FF 0 | INT 1

2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Taylor has good size for a corner and has very fluid movement. He has very good foot quickness and shows he can flip his hips and turn and run with most receivers on vertical routes. He has very good body control and change of direction skills, very good upper body strength, and he uses his hands well to create separation and keep blockers away from his frame. He does a good job of getting hands on and rerouting receivers off the line. His ball skills are very good, and he has good hands, good leaping ability and will battle for the jump ball. He likes to mix it up and is a strong tackler, even in the open field. He gets a good break on the thrown ball and can undercut a receiver to make a play. He is still a little raw and shows some inconsistencies in play recognition. At times, he will bite on a play fake and get himself out of position. He tends to get turned around and lose the ball occasionally on deep throws.

Sounds like the kind of corner the Redskins look for, beyond that who knows if there is actual interest?

Just because a player is tendered at that level doesn't mean the team is looking for compensation at that level. And like Lloyd, Taylor was a 4th round pick. So that tender only really means the Steelers didn't want to only get a 4th rounder as compensation. So what's between the 1st and 4th rounds?

Sounds like the kind of corner the Redskins look for, beyond that who knows if there is actual interest?

This scouting report makes him sound awesome and a perfect fit for GW...my guess is we would give up our 2nd rounder for this guy if we signed him, or possibly 2007 picks.

Ike Taylor shut down Chad Johnson last year. He is worth a 2nd rounder in a heartbeat to me. He and Rogers paired together for the next 5 years would be a great CB duo. I don't think the Steelers would let him walk for anything less than a 1st rounder so I doubt this happens.

Defense Stats :

YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD

2003 .PIT....16..17..15.....2...2....0...... 0..0....0....0....0

2004 .PIT....13..11..8......3....4....0...... 0..0... 1... 0 ...0

2005 .PIT....16..84..69....15...20..0.......0..8... 1... 0... 0

Career .......45..112...92....20...26..0......0..0.....2 ....0....0

Not bad stats. He is 25.......definitely not too old.

Blondie

49ers wanted BL out of SF...so they were willing to less'n the deal....I don't think the Steelers want to less'n the deal ...the steelers would want a first rounder IMO

Defense Stats :

YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD

2003 .PIT....16..17..15.....2...2....0...... 0..0....0....0....0

2004 .PIT....13..11..8......3....4....0...... 0..0... 1... 0 ...0

2005 .PIT....16..84..69....15...20..0.......0..8... 1... 0... 0

Career .......45..112...92....20...26..0......0..0.....2 ....0....0

Not bad stats. He is 25.......definitely not too old.

Blondie

He also had a few picks during the Super Bowl Run.

I'm afraid he'd come here and want a new deal like Lloyd. If I see Skins sign Ike Taylor to 30M dollar deal I'll cry.

The difference is the 49ers wanted to get rid of Lloyd and had no intentions of re-signing him next year.

Plus no other teams were interested in Lloyd.

So the Redskins were able to negotiate the compensation level down. The 49ers took the 3rd and 4th rounders and ran, getting something out of guy they weren't going to keep.

The Steelers most likely do not want to get rid of Ike Taylor, so they will want 1st round value for him.

Archived