Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Major Changes under Saunders?

ZoEd

I've never really paid too much attention to the Chiefs except that they always had a decent offense. What will be the major offensive changes under Saunders and will Gibbs still have his stamp on the offense?

I'd do the research myself but it's more fun asking the geniuses of ES. :D

I've never really paid too much attention to the Chiefs except that they always had a decent offense. What will be the major offensive changes under Saunders and will Gibbs still have his stamp on the offense?

I'd do the research myself but it's more fun asking the geniuses of ES. :D

There's no way Coach will let major changes happen. We can't afford to make too many drastic changes in the playbook and still stay a contender... That's way too much to learn, and then have to forget all over again.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

:notworthy

he'll scheme to our players. Im sure however our line will improve with him and Bugel's combined efforts. There will probably be a better utilisation of Cooley than we've already seen, and Im pretty excited about that.

Gibbs is still the boss. We'll still run the ball hard, and take shots downfield when they come available.

I tell ya though,this whole three wide system, with Portis running behind our line, the potential has really got me fired up.

Actually I think there could be some major changes. The last two years we've run a great deal of power packages. From the looks of this offseason the skins plan to run a lot of 3 wide out set - and KC used to spread the defenses a lot to give their backs running room. I think that while it won't be night and day we are going to see a much more wide open offense then the conservative we've been used to.

Gibbs and Saunders have the same exact philosophy, which is to establish the run to setup long pass plays off of play action.

Saunders never took the 12 year break like Joe, so Al has been able to keep evolving his offense into the power that it has become. I agree with Destino in that we will probably play, most of the game, with three wides forcing the D to spread out, leaving 7 in the box, this should make Portis an even more dangerous back. If teams continue to stack the box then 3 WR's and Cooley vs. 4 DB's and a LB becomes a total dream as Moss, Lloyd, or ARE will be singled with a safety. It's just an updated version of the offense Gibbs ran with the posse in the late 80's to early 90's, pick your poison.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Itoo am getting a little giddy thinking about the opportunities Portis should have. 1500yds this year with one true offensive threat in Moss. With three legitimate threats to open up the field Portis and Cooley should have a record year again.

What I've noticed about KC is how they seem to always have either the run or the pass working for them. It appears that their offense is never really shut down. We can't say that. There were games last season where we couldn't get anything going. Was that a personnel problem or a scheme problem? You have to admit there were times last year that you wanted to shake JG and ask him what the hell he was thinking. I know you should never question JG but there definitely were some frustrating moments.

Decent offense??? The Chiefs have had the best offense in the NFL over the last 5 years.

If you look at the Chiefs offense, it starts with a running game that includes not only power running but a lot of sweeps and misdirections as well. I'm excited to see what Portis will do with more open space.

As far as passing, they have been a great offense with only 1 proven target (Gonzalez). Their receivers have been the likes of Morton, Kennison, and Hall. Each game one of these guys will explode and have a great game.

I think it will depend on matchup and which receiver(s) has the breakout game.

Can't wait for the season to start!!!

"Saunders will oversee the Redskins' offense in 2006, a role that will include tweaking some of the current offensive schemes, adopting some of the schemes Saunders employed in Kansas City, and handling the play-calling duties on game day."

Saunders hails from the same coaching tree as head coach Joe Gibbs. Both learned their craft under Don Coryell, the architect of the high-octane St. Louis Cardinals and San Diego Chargers offenses of the 1970s and 1980s. While Gibbs went on to win three Super Bowl championships with the Redskins, Saunders went on to help lead an offensive juggernaut in Kansas City from 2001-05.

The terminology of the Redskins' offense will likely stay the same, but the play-calling may change as Saunders learns the strengths and weaknesses of his personnel.

Saunders emphasized that the offensive approach will be a team effort. He will seek out the advice of Gibbs and his offensive assistants, a group that includes assistant head coach-offense Joe Bugel, tight ends coach Rennie Simmons, Breaux, Burns, wide receivers coach Stan Hixon and running backs coach Earnest Byner.

"Joe Gibbs is one of the greatest offensive football coaches in the history of the National Football League--he will be a strong part of the offense," Saunders said. "When he says, 'Al, it's all yours,' I know that Joe will still be in those meetings. It would be absolutely ludicrous to not have Joe be an extensive part of what we do.

"He's given me the responsibility of play selections and I'm sure during the course of the games Joe will have some thoughts, some ideas and some things that we should do. Everyone here will be a part of game-planning and preparation."

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15116

I suspect the screen will still be used, albeit less often. Moss has been quoted as saying that is his favorite play because it allows him to simply use his speed. He is right it was his bread and butter last season. My guess is that there wont be an drastic changes with the exception of 3 receiver sets which is due more to the players we acquired not Saunders. It probably will appear similar in philosophy to last season just a better combination of play calling now that Gibbs has a coach solely dedicated to it.

And don't forget more reverses, fake reverses, ARE passing on reverses, etc. One word, UNSTOPABLE.

Anyone think Al can keep MB from taking a 15yd drop in, I mean outside the pocket?

I think misdirection will be the key. Our offense was pretty easy to read last year. Portis up the middle, Portis up the middle, Portis........... Wait a minute Portis outside, Portis up the middle........Moss downfield! Portis up the middle...... I think you get my point. Spreading the ball around with different looks will be better for everybody.

Gibbs and Saunders have the same exact philosophy, which is to establish the run to setup long pass plays off of play action.

Saunders never took the 12 year break like Joe, so Al has been able to keep evolving his offense into the power that it has become. I agree with Destino in that we will probably play, most of the game, with three wides forcing the D to spread out, leaving 7 in the box, this should make Portis an even more dangerous back. If teams continue to stack the box then 3 WR's and Cooley vs. 4 DB's and a LB becomes a total dream as Moss, Lloyd, or ARE will be singled with a safety. It's just an updated version of the offense Gibbs ran with the posse in the late 80's to early 90's, pick your poison.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Agreed:applause: There will be changes from the previous year... our offense will be more POTENT!:cheers: Saunders is the mastermind behind why KC went as far as they did last two seasons. No defense, but they had the python grip on offense. Imagine that, our defense upgraded from last year to possibly being 1st in the league and an offense jumping to the top five in the league...just sick!:movefast:

People, This offseason at camp will be so exciting to attend and see what the chemistry looks like. HTTR

Anyone think Al can keep MB from taking a 15yd drop in, I mean outside the pocket?

I think misdirection will be the key. Our offense was pretty easy to read last year. Portis up the middle, Portis up the middle, Portis........... Wait a minute Portis outside, Portis up the middle........Moss downfield! Portis up the middle...... I think you get my point. Spreading the ball around with different looks will be better for everybody.

Question? Do you think MB has the vision to throw to blind recievers? I noticed last year he had severe problems doing so..Take the blinders off MB or you'll be sitting...whats your thoughts on that?

In a word: We got it covered

This will definitely be an "in your face" attacking offense. The Redskins new offense will be able to do anything it wants to whoever it wants, anytime it wants to do it. Instead of defenses dictating what style of offense we play, our offense will dictake which schemes defenses play, meanwhile we'll be exploiting the weaknesses we force them into.

The only thing is, there isn't anyway of getting September here any faster, and I can't wait to see this machine get fired up!

Question? Do you think MB has the vision to throw to blind recievers? I noticed last year he had severe problems doing so..Take the blinders off MB or you'll be sitting...whats your thoughts on that?

??????????????????????????????????????????????Dude I don't understand a word of what you just posted.

Archived