Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wireless network help

rdsknbill

This goes out to all the people that are a hell of alot more computer literate than I am.

I have four computers in my house. One that is hard wired to a Linxsys wireless "G" router. My son's computer has an access point, no problems. No problems with my lap top either. The problem is that my desktop can not find the network. It picks up on every other effing network in the neighborhood, but not the one that is on the SAME FLOOR! :mad:

I just don't get it. I have used the software that came with the access point, and I've used Windows Zero Config, but with no success with either

Any help would be appreciated before this brand new PC meets a violent end. :laugh:

Is MAC filtering turned on (on the linksys router)? I don't believe it gets turned on by default so I doubt that is it unless you did some tweaking. Maybe there is something causing interference. Do you have a 2.4Ghz cordless phone. That shouldn't cause any problems unless it is in use and I'd expect you to have problems with the other machines. Try moving the computer or router?

If you go to one of the computers that can connect to your wireless network, are you able to actually see your wireless network as an available network, or does the computer automatically connect to the network? Or, if you go into the Web User Interface ("WUI") of the router or the Access Point, is the SSID or network name being broadcast? (This is usually found in the Wireless section of either the router or AP's WUI.) If the SSID is not being broadcast, then you will need to enter your network as a "preferred network," which is usually performed in whatever wireless configuration utility that you are using.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You will also want to check the mode that is being used. You may need to place your computer's wireless network adapter into Infrastructure mode. And, as suggested, make sure you are not using MAC filtering or check to see if you have WDS enabled. Also, do you have security enabled? If this is the issue, make sure to enter in your passphrase or network key if you wish to access your wireless network.

If you are able to see other wireless networks on your troublesome computer, then the issue is related to an issue other than the wireless network adapter itself. You will need to make the determination if the issue is related to your router or AP configuration.

One last note detail - check the TCP/IP configuration via Start > Run > Enter CMD into the Open field, and enter IPCONFIG /ALL to determine if you are receiving an IP address. If you are not, then you will want to check the TCP/IP configuration via Start > Control Panel > Network Connections to make sure you are dynamically ("Automatically obtain...") receiving an IP address from your wireless LAN.

If you go to one of the computers that can connect to your wireless network, are you able to actually see your wireless network as an available network, or does the computer automatically connect to the network? Or, if you go into the Web User Interface ("WUI") of the router or the Access Point, is the SSID or network name being broadcast? (This is usually found in the Wireless section of either the router or AP's WUI.) If the SSID is not being broadcast, then you will need to enter your network as a "preferred network," which is usually performed in whatever wireless configuration utility that you are using.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You will also want to check the mode that is being used: You may need to place your computer's wireless network adapter into Infrastructure mode. And, as suggested, make sure you are not using MAC filtering or check to see if you have WDS enabled. Also, do you have security enabled? If this is the issue, make sure to enter in your passphrase or network key if you wish to access your wireless network.

If you are able to see other wireless networks on your troublesome computer, then the issue is related to an issue other than the wireless network adapter itself. You will need to make the determination if the issue is related to your router or AP configuration.

One last note detail - check the TCP/IP configuration via Start > Run > Enter CMD into the Open field, and enter IPCONFIG /ALL to determine if you are receiving an IP address. If you are not, then you will want to check the TCP/IP configuration via Start > Control Panel > Network Connections to make sure you are dynamically ("Automatically obtain...") reciving an IP address from your wireless LAN.

I used to be computer literate....after reading that though one of my eyeballs shot out of my head and hit the monitor!

:twitch:

Did you try using the wireless adapter from one of your other computers that works to rule out a bad wireless adapter in the one your having problems with? Might be a simple first step.

Tried that. Worked for a while, then this morning when I powered it up, no dice

Tried that. Worked for a while, then this morning when I powered it up, no dice

Where the other computers on when this one didn't work? The reason I'm asking is the router has a setting that allows you to limit the number of users connected at once. And when this one was working were the other computers on or off?

This goes out to all the people that are a hell of alot more computer literate than I am.

I have four computers in my house. One that is hard wired to a Linxsys wireless "G" router. My son's computer has an access point, no problems. No problems with my lap top either. The problem is that my desktop can not find the network. It picks up on every other effing network in the neighborhood, but not the one that is on the SAME FLOOR! :mad:

I just don't get it. I have used the software that came with the access point, and I've used Windows Zero Config, but with no success with either

Any help would be appreciated before this brand new PC meets a violent end. :laugh:

A few questions:

Is the troublesome PC running XP Home?

Is the router broadcasting the SSID?

Have you specified the maximum number of clients that can connect to the router?

Does the router limit the number of wireless connections?

The PC that is giving you problems, Did you upgrade it to the latest service pack ? I know SP1 was trouble with wireless networks.

To find out what service pack your running, right click on My Computer and then properties and read the dialog box that appears.

Also as someone mentioned you may have a "Bum" wireless NIC card and may want to try one from the other PC's you have in the house.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

For Windows XP users, Windows XP Service Pack 2 is not required for wireless networking, but it does make things much easier. Service Pack 2 also helps protect you against hackers, worms, and other Internet intruders.

Archived