WT - New end to show old moves

JimmiJo

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20060315-114010-6305r.htm

New end to show old moves

By David Elfin

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

March 16, 2006

Andre Carter is dangerous.

Not only is Carter a rangy 6-foot-4 and 265 pounds with enough quickness to record 121/2 sacks back in 2002, but he's also a black belt in karate.

On top of that, Carter, who was introduced as the latest addition to the Washington Redskins yesterday, is out to prove he still belongs among the NFL's better defensive ends after two frustrating seasons in San Francisco.

Carter missed nine games in 2004 after having a cyst removed from his sciatic nerve. Last season, Carter moved from defensive end to outside linebacker when the 49ers went to a 3-4 defense. And San Francisco was a league-worst 6-26 in those two seasons.

"When the 49ers announced they were changing to a 3-4, I'm like, 'Oh, great,'?" Carter said sarcastically. "But I did it. I feel that's a testament to my character. I made some plays [at linebacker], but it took me out of some plays as far as getting to the quarterback."

Carter's ability to do just that is why the Redskins signed him to a six-year deal worth $30 million. He has 271/2 sacks in 53 career games at defensive end.

Right end Phillip Daniels, who will move to the left side in 2006, had six sacks in the final three games last season after totaling just three in his first 19 games with the Redskins. Incumbent left end Renaldo Wynn has just 31/2 sacks in his two seasons in assistant head coach Gregg Williams' scheme.

Click on link for full article...

JimmiJo: Had to add paragraphs. :) ~ihs

Great to hear we re-signed Killings, and that Evans is now a priority. Re-signing him will really be an asset, IMO.

Really wish they were considering upgrading K and P and though. Frost in particular was thoroughly unimpressive last year.

I still don't get why people are down on Hall.

His health is a concern yes, but when he's healthy, he's been a fine kicker for us. He missed 2 kicks all of last year. One bad miss in the Seattle playoff game and now we dump him?

Keep Hall..............................BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET RID OF FROST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, are we REALLY keeping the comedy team of Hall and Frost? I don't care if Frost is GREAT at kickoffs. His erratic punting left something to be desired. But, if "Coach Joe" is going in that direction....

I was hoping we would upgrade at kicker as well, but I think punter was a much bigger priority. Frost just plain sucked. Hall is not that bad when he is healthy. I hope the team brings in some competition this summer, especially at punter. Let's finally sign a punter that can stay around for a long time.

His health is a concern yes, but when he's healthy, he's been a fine kicker for us. He missed 2 kicks all of last year. One bad miss in the Seattle playoff game and now we dump him?

Keep Hall..............................BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET RID OF FROST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hall has missed 14 games in the past 2 years. We've essentially carried 2 place kickers over the past 2 seasons. Sure he's above average, but I'm freakin' tired of adding "WHEN he plays" to that. Kickers have 2 things to take care of: THEIR LEGS. If Hall can't even do that, he's WORTHLESS to us.

But, are we REALLY keeping the comedy team of Hall and Frost? I don't care if Frost is GREAT at kickoffs. His erratic punting left something to be desired. But, if "Coach Joe" is going in that direction....

do we really need a punter???;) I think a good kickoff man is all we'll need with this team:D :D :D

I don't know if Gibbs is looking for a new punter, but they will bring other punters and kickers into training camp with them.

Mainly to work with and compete with the incumbents of the job, but also so the incumbents don't haft to do all the kicking during training camp.

That's just routine.

Maybe someone will stand out then.

Did anyone else notice at the end of the article that Carl Poston has been suspended for 2 years by the NFLPA for the whole Arrington fiasco? I wonder if they found that he mislead his client and there never was another $6.5 million bonus, or he just messed up reading the final contract. I'd really like some redemption for the Front Office. Promising an extra $6.5 million bonus then taking it out of the contract and trying to slip it by the player is just bad business. And I think we can all agree that Snyder is anything but a bad businessman.

Im very down on Hall, and this is why. He is costing us over 1 mill a year, and his been seriously injured two out of the last two years. because he has been injured we have had to get a back up kicker, thus tking up another roster spot. When we find our back up kicker, and he is a diamond in the rough (Novak) Hall gets better and wants to come back, so we release Novak (who is half as expensive) and he gets snatched right up. So what we have is an injury prone kicker who is overpaid and takes up two roster spots. We can find a comperable replacement in the quality dept for half the price. Heck, we can find a kicker that isnt injury prone, for half the price.

I'm with ya. Hall is a darn good kicker when he's healthy.

Archived