Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Carter Sees Redskins as Perfect Fit

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/15/AR2006031502141.html

Carter Sees Redskins as Perfect Fit

By Howard Bryant

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, March 16, 2006; Page E01

Four days ago, as Andre Carter stepped into a limousine and headed for Dulles International Airport, Washington Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache closed the door for him and offered a confident salutation: "Hope to see you back."

He sounded self-assured, but as the limo drove away the members of the Redskins' front office were sweating. Carter was heading to Denver to meet with the Broncos, a formidable playoff team with money to spend and a personal connection: Carter's father, Rubin, played 12 seasons for the Broncos, and the idea of the son following the father was an appeal the Redskins could not match.

Andre Carter, too, knew the risk of getting into that limo without a deal; he feared the Redskins might go in another direction. Indeed, while the Redskins primarily were interested in Carter, they also had engaged in discussions with John Abraham, the New York Jets' pass rusher.

But when Carter was introduced yesterday at Redskins Park after signing a six-year, $30 million contract, the panic subsided. "It was a definitely a risk," Carter said. "I know that the free agent market moves fast. You have to see what's on the other side, but you might lose out. I told [broncos Coach] Mike Shanahan and their owner [Pat Bowlen] that they could go to the Super Bowl, that they were close, but I belonged in Washington."

Click on link for full article...

I am excited about this signing. Probably our biggest need on defense. Good job Coach Gibbs and Coach Blache, Danny, and Vinny!!

Also, on a side note, that was a sweet suit he wore at his PC. I have to wear a suit everyday and I always take notice to people's suits. Nice one!

No way would Wynn supplant Big Joe as a starter, right?

He won't.

G. Williams and Blache will just get a little more creative with the DL rotation. I have visions of Carter moving around the line alot, much like Kearse did with the Eagles the first year he was there. :cool:

I would expect to see a rotation which utilizes Wynn's run stopping skills and Carter's pass rushing skills as much as possible. I think Wynn could spell Big Joe and Griff at DT from time to time when Carter is on the field. Also, I think Wynn would probably take Carter's spot at DE in obvious running situations. I have even heard suggestions of a 3-4 (which I assume has Carter at OLB and Wynn at DE). At any rate, we have quality depth on the defensive line and you can bet that Greg Blache will rotate everybody in, utilizing their various talents as much as possible.

I like that Wynn is being moved for two reasons.

1. We have some solid depth at a position that we really pretty thin behind the two very good starters.

2. It means we are probably bringing back Demetric Evans. :)

exactly

andre carter and brandon lloyd are probably my two favorite moves this off season :D

keeping wynn and moving him to add depth to our DT's, and (hopefully) resigning evans would be a great move

Wynn wont be playing full time DE anymore. He will be used as a speed 3rd down DT in a formation like this:

RDE - Carter

RDT - Wynn

LDT - Griffin

LDE - Daniels

or he will be used as a run stoping DE on obvious running situations in a formation like this:

RDE - Daniels

RDT - Salave'a

LDT - Griffin

LDE - Wynn

Possible 3-4 situation could go like

NT - Salave'a

DT - Griffin

LDE - Wynn

Salave'a is a starter at DT. He has proven it by his exceptional play last year.

I think this is a sign Wynn replaces Evans as the DT/DE combo more than it means we're resigning Evans. I'd still like another body along the line, but, would prefer a corner, backer and offensive lineman first.

Archived