Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley's role in Al Saunder's offense?

Supreme skins

Does anyone have insight into what Cooley will be doing next year? My understanding is that Saunders mainly uses a pro set style (with TE and FB) and a 3 wide set. Is this correct or does Al's offense use an Hback?

If Saunders does not use the Hback, I don't see Cooley being used nearly as much next year. Sellers is a better FB, Fauria is a better TE, and Lloyd, Randel El and Moss are better WRs.

Does anyone know more about Al Saunder's offense? What are your thoughts about Cooley's role next year?

Saunders said that he will be incorporating his system AND Gibbs' system. Cooley will be lined up at TE a lot, but will also prob. line up as a receiver and full back on occasion. Fauria is hear for a big guy in the end zone threat, and as a blocking TE, the rest of the time it will be Cooley.

My thought is he'll still play just as big a role - and a similar one. Sometimes at FB, sometimes at H-Back and sometimes at TE. I think he may get a few less balls simply b/c he was clearly the second best option this past year, with no real credible third option. Lloyd, Randle El and occassionally Patten and Fauria are all viable options along with Moss, and as such there simply might not be as many directed Cooley's way. If anything that might help him out even more as now you can't key on just Moss and Cooley, so maybe he gets a little more open or is lined up against a less suitable cover guy in some situations.

I would certainly expect that Saunders is intelligent and wise enough to suit "his" offense to his player personnel, and as such I'd expect that he adjusts accordingly, rather than going out and getting a guy named Gonzalez to play TE and a Priest to be the tailback. My guess is Cooley is again a hybrid player - some TE, some H-Back and occasionally a FB along with Sellers, Fauria and the others - all those TE/HB/FB guys need to pretty much know all three positions. In all cases its the same type player - half blocker half receiver, goes in motion alot...

Archived