Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Problem Solved: Make Sure Your Thread Titles Are Descriptive

rvan1

Recently, there has been a well-documented problem with repeating threads, creating more work for the mods and more frustration for all users alike. When posting threads, please use more descriptive titles, thus allowing them to be more recognizeable in searches (as per ExtremeSkins rules...).

This is exemplified by searching for "overspending"... Because I've been on this board very frequently as of late, I know that this topic has been covered many times. However, upon doing a search, it appears that this topic has not been brought up yet specifically (although a few threads vaguely hint at it).

Making our titles reflective of what we wish to discuss is a huge step to limiting repeat threads, thereby cutting down on mod work and overall frustration. While I'm not trying to "play mod" in this thread, if people remember to title their thread concisely and descriptively, I feel like users will be able to find a place to talk about what they have in mind while not frustrating everyone else.

Just food to think about before you title that thread: "guess what the people at ESPN are saying..."

Cheers.

This is straight from the forum rules:

8. Please use descriptive and accurate subject titles for your posts. Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It also serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed, and potentially prevents multiple threads being started on the same topic.

Be respectful of the fact that some people come to ExtremeSkins explicitly for latest Redskins news and content, provided without the editorializing of titles by members.

Didja know it also helps if you search extremeskins as a whole instead of just the Stadium forum. Especially if you're one those posters that has to post NFL news in the Stadium when it belongs in the Around The NFL forum. And that goes double for those that start a post with 'I looked for this but see anything'. ;)

This is straight from the forum rules:

8. Please use descriptive and accurate subject titles for your posts. Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It also serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed, and potentially prevents multiple threads being started on the same topic.

Be respectful of the fact that some people come to ExtremeSkins explicitly for latest Redskins news and content, provided without the editorializing of titles by members.

yeah, i understand. i just see a lot of people jumping on new people for posting repeated topics, when really searches arent bringing back the right threads. i find this when i wish to add to an earlier discussion and cant find the thread because I cant remember the thread name and its not coming up in my search.

I have a question? I have started maybe 2 or 3 threads in my time here,but as a rule I dont start them anymore,because i generally find what it is im looking for. so I mainly just post to the thread that im reading,my question is, if i reply to a post and the thread is in the wrong forum am i wrong to do so?. Just trying to help you guys out any way i can. HAIL

I have a question? I have started maybe 2 or 3 threads in my time here,but as a rule I dont start them anymore,because i generally find what it is im looking for. so I mainly just post to the thread that im reading,my question is, if i reply to a post and the thread is in the wrong forum am i wrong to do so?. Just trying to help you guys out any way i can. HAIL

By using your head the way you stated, your fine. It's not your fualt if a thread is in the wrong forum and you reply to it. Most of the time, the thread is moved fairly fast to the proper forum by one of the staff.

:cheers:

I just got nailed posting an article that was already posted. I searched for the article by a key word in the title and looked at the first two pages. The keyword was "circumventing", so I was confident I'd get a positive result if the article had been posted already. No hits so I posted. Turns out, the article was from AP and was picked up by different news sources. Thus the title changed and my search was bogus. After being alerted that I posted an article already posted, :doh:, I searched again by grabbing some key words from the first paragraph. Found it right away.

So, the moral is, when posting artcles, it is important to post the first paragraph, as the titles can change between news sources.

And thanks to which ever Mod closed the thread, thus limiting the carnage to my now sullied reputation!!! :)

Archived