Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spousal Weight Gain

smashmowf

What are your opinions when your spouse gains a considerable amount ofweight....is it a sign of being too comfortable, is there cause for concern, or should you turn the other cheek and ignore it.

Personally Ive been married a while and my wife put on about 50 before (yes before) we had kids and back then it REALLY bothered me, but now I've gotten a little older and its easier to accept cause there are more things to appreciate than just the bannanas peel. The thing that still gets me is the classic questions "Does this outfit make me look fat?"......I'm like DUDE weren't you thinking about that when you were eating the donut and cookies the other day!?!?....or the other classic "Oh its harder for women to loss weight"....Or how about this one..."Oh I just bought this outfit and I'm going to work out everyday until I can fit them".......Yeah oooo-kaay.

after our child was born, the weight just melted off of my wife. she makes me sick.

however, and i'm not 100% sure i could practice what i preach, i think it is the duty of a loved one to encourage someone to not let themselves go. most people that put on weight do so gradually, and don't realize it until they're far gone.

My Wife gained 85lbs on that deplo shot and I pretended like nothing happened for 1 -1/2 years.....she lost it on her own in about 1 year.......

Now here we are 2 years later she's SLLoooooowwwwllyyyy gaining weight again and I had to step in to remind her what she looked like before( w/pictures)......she is now working to make sure she doesn't get back that way......figuring how big I am on physical fitness and how I train myself and players I have little problem being a positive influence......

As for you......ouch.....maybe join a gym together deticating yourselfs to physical fitness?......heck....natalius (sp?) has some deal going if you call them where you can order whole gym systems and place it on their credit card........

after our child was born, the weight just melted off of my wife. she makes me sick.

however, and i'm not 100% sure i could practice what i preach, i think it is the duty of a loved one to encourage someone to not let themselves go. most people that put on weight do so gradually, and don't realize it until they're far gone.

So did it melt by nursing, excercising, or did nature just take its course?

What are your opinions when your spouse gains a considerable amount ofweight....is it a sign of being too comfortable, is there cause for concern, or should you turn the other cheek and ignore it.

Personally Ive been married a while and my wife put on about 50 before (yes before) we had kids and back then it REALLY bothered me, but now I've gotten a little older and its easier to accept cause there are more things to appreciate than just the bannanas peel. The thing that still gets me is the classic questions "Does this outfit make me look fat?"......I'm like DUDE weren't you thinking about that when you were eating the donut and cookies the other day!?!?....or the other classic "Oh its harder for women to loss weight"....Or how about this one..."Oh I just bought this outfit and I'm going to work out everyday until I can fit them".......Yeah oooo-kaay.

I take it your wife doesn't read the boards. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You might think of things you can do as a couple to help her get back in shape.

When the gain is as much as 50 pounds there are serious health consequences on the way. You also have to ask about her self esteem and happiness to let that happen.

An extra cookie a day equates to a pound a month which means 50 pounds after four years. When you try to loose the weight, bear that in mind and don't expect to be in shape overnight ... 5 pounds a month is achieveable with sensible moderation in diet and getting regular exercise.

Thou treadest on thin ice my friend....from time to time I broach the subject with my wife...gently. She has a family history that consists of high cholesterol and heart disease. I remind her how she needs to consider this, so that we can grow old and enjoy our grandkids together.

I think KingBrice is right. You might suggest the both of you joining a gym together. You can be an encouragement to her...push her along on those days when she might not feel like going...etc.

My Wife gained 85lbs on that deplo shot and I pretended like nothing happened for 1 -1/2 years.....she lost it on her own in about 1 year.......

Now here we are 2 years later she's SLLoooooowwwwllyyyy gaining weight again and I had to step in to remind her what she looked like before( w/pictures)......she is now working to make sure she doesn't get back that way......figuring how big I am on physical fitness and how I train myself and players I have little problem being a positive influence......

As for you......ouch.....maybe join a gym together deticating yourselfs to physical fitness?......heck....natalius (sp?) has some deal going if you call them where you can order whole gym systems and place it on their credit card........

lol...Dude here is the situation....I have an Everlast Home GYM (Free weights) with bench press, squat station, hamstring pull, Leg extention, Incline, plus various dumbells....in addition we have a $4000 dollar Elliptical Machine that is basically and exact copy of what high level gyms have...all this is in a heated a garage with a Television.....and yeah we both played sports in high school and college. Oh yeah several years ago I lost over 65 lbs...and I've kept it off.....lol....its mind boggling some times, I mean you said your wife looked at the old pictures and got motivated and that makes PERFECT since to me, but for some reason it does not work in my house..lol

DONT SAY A THING!!!!!

There are subtle ways to let it be known.

But the most important thing is to give her/him the avenue to lose the weight. Make it a nightly ritual to walk after dinner, or buy bikes for family fun.

He/she knows they have gained weight.

You are a better man than me Smashmowf-

one thing I have learned in 35 years. encompassing many different types of relationships:

The man can NOT control the weight of his significant other. It is a fools errand and will only creat misery for both.

Either only date/marry women who have a track record of being thin and working out all the time- or get used to a woman overweight and be at peace with it.

I prefer the former rather than the latter so now only date someone who is athletic. being superficial is part, but also because I am always running/working out and want to have a partner who can do those kinds of activities with me. trying to monitor what someone else eats and does is not fair to anyone.

Just walk around the house constantly singing the line:

'Whatcha gonna do with all that junk, all that junk, inside your trunk.'

Sooner or later she'll go hmmmm...and you won't have to suffer the consequences for suggesting that she loses that fat ass. :D

one thing I have learned in 35 years. encompassing many different types of relationships:

The man can NOT control the weight of his significant other. It is a fools errand and will only creat misery for both.

Either only date/marry women who have a track record of being thin and working out all the time- or get used to a woman overweight and be at peace with it.

I prefer the former rather than the latter so now only date someone who is athletic. being superficial is part, but also because I am always running/working out and want to have a partner who can do those kinds of activities with me. trying to monitor what someone else eats and does is not fair to anyone.

But you have to be willing to help someone out if they break away from the habits they had. It's not only about the appearance. If you truly love someone and want to spend your life with them, you need to help them lose weight if they are becoming unhealthy.

Whenever you see her go "MOOOOOOOOOOOO"

be subtle...

I'm going back several years now, but I work in a "cube farm" so you get to overhear conversations from time to time. Well, one lady who worked here came in crying one morning....co-worker asks her what's wrong...lady explains she bought new outfit (leather skirt)...asks hubby what he thinks of it...hubby says you should put the leather back on the cow.

No kidding.

You know how long it took me to clean the coffee that spewed out of my mouth.

They were divorced within a few months after that....shocking, I know.

DONT SAY A THING!!!!!

There are subtle ways to let it be known.

But the most important thing is to give her/him the avenue to lose the weight. Make it a nightly ritual to walk after dinner, or buy bikes for family fun.

He/she knows they have gained weight.

Haaa....you must be a marriage veteran...thats the path I've taken the last year and a half....well we get along better I can say that much. :D

I actually have heard stories of men making a pre-marriage checklist that the wife has to maintain a certain amount of weight.

that is crazy. crazy like a fox :laugh:

not that I could ever imagine a woman agreeing to that- you have to just marry someone where your goals match up..

Gotcha!....that is not a full proof plan my friend.....while most are probably assuming I am married to SHAMU...lol... that is not the case.....however my wife was an athlete in college and high school and did her share of working out..BUT some strange reason from late teens till mid twentys she was able to maintain a 100lb frame on pizza and junk food.....but guess what age and metabolism have a way of preventing most people from maintaining that lifestyle... :D

Archived