Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we expect Moss-like improvemet from Lloyd and/or Randle-El?

E-Dog Night

Of course it depends on the QB, but looking at the stats:

In 2005, Moss improved his carreer averages by 40.4% in # of catches, 46.6% in yardage, and 33.3% in TDs (not counting his first season, when he didn't play much). I don't expect that kind of mind-boggling improvement from the new FA WRs, but what can we expect?

Lloyd has 212, 565 and 733 yards, respectively, in his first three seasons with the Niners. If he continues to improve at his current rate, he will have 993 yards in 2006.

Randle-El had 489, 364, 601 and 558 receiving yards since being drafted in 2002. That's an average of 503 yards per season, but his best two years statistically were his last two, which suggests that he's on an upward tick as well.

So I wonder what kind of statistics these guys will have, assuming that all WRs stay healthy and Brunell has a season comparable to last year.

My guess is that Randle-El will be returning a lot of punts and will be more of a #3 receiver, so his stats will hold steady at about 500-600 yards. Lloyd is far more intriguing, IMO. I think we could have 2 receivers eclipse 1000 yards, those two being Moss and Lloyd.

Where Patten figures into this is anybody's guess. If he could get into the 600 yard level as well, that could be 3000+ yards from our WR corps, which doesn't take into account TE and RB receiving yards.

Again, this is all contingent on good QB play, which is not a given at this point. But I like the Redskins' chances. This offense could be sick.

Here's a thought - Gibbs past: 4 veteran QB's (none superstars) that made a number of undersized (or slower) wide receivers into champions and perennial 1,000 yard players.

I'd be chomping at the bit if I were Randle-El and Lloyd. Salivating if I were Brunell or Campbell.

I agree I really thought Lloyd was a star in the makeing at San Fran. If he had any kind of help from his QB I would put money on him being at 1000 yard WR. The guy has fantastic hands and leaping ability. I know you skins fans geting all juiced about Randle-El, but I think Lloyd is a better pure WR. I bet he will be you #2 after camp.

contrary to my past posts, i no longer believe that brunell will have such a negatvie effect any more. because of our newest reciever additions, i think he'll look a whole lot better because he'll have a bigger area to throw it to with llyod's leaping and obviously moss's speed. and the fact that we have multiple threats will take some of the coverage off of moss as well. so i think brunell will be just fine. i dont know if any quarterback would've looked spectacular with the recievers we had last year minus moss. maybe manning, but he'll look spectacular with any recieving corp. i predict the moss/ llyod combination to be equivalent to the harrison/wayne combination..... the difference is we are actually gonna be undefeated this year. :point2sky

People are cracking me up about Randle El all the doubters I have followed the Steelers as well.. The way their offense is set up of course Randle El's stats is going to look like they have the Steelers is a run first team always have been yes , they have thrown a little more towards the end of the year and in the playoffs that's because Cowher has always to been known to be very predictable so they had to open it up a little but still the Steelers is a run first team.

The main guy there is Hines Ward everyone knows that so of course Ward is going to get most of the catches as well as their tight end Heath Miller.

Randle El can be highly successful in the right offense I think this kid can really shine here like some one else has said in this thread it gives you more options where defenses can't key on one particular player like Santana Moss.

Brandon Lloyd can also be highly successful I have heard a lot of negative things about this kid but after hearing him all he wants to do is win. I think the change for both of these guys will be great I think we could see them put up some great numbers.

Maybe this is just me, but I don't know that having more targets really helps Brunell that much. Having better targets -- that clearly helps. But I don't see him finding his 3rd option very often. Or ever. He seems to lock onto his primary, and occasionally finds his secondary, but he just doesn't seem like the kind of QB who would really benefit from having four good options out there. He's never going to make it through the progression.

Am I wrong?

I agree I really thought Lloyd was a star in the makeing at San Fran. If he had any kind of help from his QB I would put money on him being at 1000 yard WR. The guy has fantastic hands and leaping ability. I know you skins fans geting all juiced about Randle-El, but I think Lloyd is a better pure WR. I bet he will be you #2 after camp.

I am actually more excited about Lloyd. I think he will have a thousand yard season this year. He has a wealth of talent and I think that he and Moss will be one of the best tandems in football. I think Randle-El will perform about the same actually but his value is also in his special teams and gadget play.

If you are wondering how either of the QBs can throw for 5,000 yards or more, think about all the receivers they have.

1. Santana Moss

2. Brandon Lloyd

3. Randle El

4. David Patten

5. Chris Cooley

6. Christian Fauria

7. Clinton Portis

If these guys are still here:

8. James Thrash

9. Taylor Jacobs

:cool:

Maybe this is just me, but I don't know that having more targets really helps Brunell that much. Having better targets -- that clearly helps. But I don't see him finding his 3rd option very often. Or ever. He seems to lock onto his primary, and occasionally finds his secondary, but he just doesn't seem like the kind of QB who would really benefit from having four good options out there. He's never going to make it through the progression.

Am I wrong?

No , the first year when Brunell was injured we had Coles and Gardner getting wide open and Brunell was not getting them the ball.

It may be from the injury or pass protection but you have a very valid point there.

Santana Moss had 45 catches and something like 600-700 yards for the Jets. We gave him a good sized contract because we knew that his numbers would translate into better production if we threw him the ball as many times as Coles. Has anyone noticed that Moss has almost exactly doubled his #'s from the Jets?

If you look at many of the good wide receivers in the game, ALL of them have one consistent factor and that is yards per catch. Santana was just the man with a staggering 18 yards per catch. Normally #1 receivers are between 13-16 yards/catch.

Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan were in the top 15 in this category. They were at 15.3 y/catch and 15.9 y/catch respectively.

They beat out such names as Torry Holt, Deion Branch, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, Marvin Harrison, Hines Ward, Jimmy Smith, Chad Johnson, STEVE SMITH, Reggie Wayne. But they had limited chances because they were a number 2 option or they were on san fran.

These guys are going to be flying around the field. I have a feeling by the 3-4th game of the season teams will have to really start preparing to stop our wideouts.

Am I wrong?

Yes - he did a good job creating time last season by moving out of the pocket. Many of his passes on those plays ended up going to Cooley, Sellars or Portis. That implies that he progressed to the 3rd and 4th options on those plays. In reality - he had to go through progressions quite often as Moss was double and triple teamed. Jacobs, Patten and/or Thrash just didn't give him much as the second options.

No , the first year when Brunell was injured we had Coles and Gardner getting wide open and Brunell was not getting them the ball.

It may be from the injury or pass protection but you have a very valid point there.

What? Didn't Coles lead the league in receptions that season? Gardner dropped about half of the passes thrown his way. Coles' problem was poor YAC which is why we swallowed a $9million cap hit to trade him for Moss.

Moss and Lloyd are going to compliment each other very nicely. Lloyd and Randel El take a ton of pressure off of Moss, and Moss and Randel El take a ton the pressure off of Lloyd that he was feeling in San Francisco. Expect explosive seasons from bothing of them, with Randel El bringing up the rear quite pleasantly.

I think Gibbs/Saunders will be spreading the ball around like crazy...it will be a fun and memorable upcoming season IMO..... the more weapons you have, the harder it will be for teams to defend...my prediction would be that all of our WR's will have a productive season

I think we can expect improvement from Lloyd to be sure because he was already a good receiver with a team that has been in the rebuilding stage for a long time (san fran). With a good QB and a good receiving core to be a part of, I think Lloyd's going to flourish as a Redskin.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm still not convinced about Randle El. I concede that he's got incredible skills and is a unique player, but I forsee him being more of a special teams and trick player star then a top notch receiver like Moss is and Lloyd will be.

I'm in the camp that is more excited about Brandon Lloyd. ARE brings an interesting new aspect to our offense, but Lloyd (i hope) fills a gaping hole in it. We needed a second option that we can rely on to catch the ball, so the defense has to respect him.

I'm not ready to call this the second coming of the posse, but it certainly has some pretty good potential. Gibbs and Co. have really turned the franchise around, both sides of the football are looking really friggin sweet.

Archived