Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clayton: Jets offering 7th for Ramsey

Fifty Gut

:yikes:WOW.... do they think he sucks that bad? Only reason ( as stated millions of times before) he sucked here was because we had no line. But I mean, we should at least get a 4th. I don't even wanna hear the Jets as an SB pick next year if we trade Ramsey.:doh:

The problem is that by signing Collins, we've lost all of our leverage. The market for QB's is saturated, with Brooks, K. Collins, Griese, and McCown out there as FA's, and even guys like Shaub as potential trade bait, not to mention a draft that's got some blue chip prospects at the position. In addiiton, given the signings/trades in the past week, some of the teams that would likely have drafted QB's (e.g. Miami; New Orleans) now seem far less likely to do so.

The Jets don't expect to seriously contend for a championship next year, so I doubt they feel much pressure to acquire Patrick Ramsey.

Bingo. This is post is spot on.

The truth is, we botched this Ramsey situation. If our plan was to actually trade Ramsey for anything of value, we dropped the ball on this one a while ago. Any front office guy who watched the Skins this past season knew Ramsey wasn't in our future plans. And our actions this offseason have done nothing but show our hand even further.

The Skins actually did have a good opportunity to somewhat rehabilitate Ramsey's trade value when they hired Al Saunders. With the news of the Saunders hire, there was a legitimate question as to how this would effect Ramsey's status (re: would he prefer the stronger armed Ramsey in his offense). But any such questions were answered in the Saunders press conference, when Ramsey appeared to be a mere afterthought in discussion of the QB situation.

Getting a 7th rounder is like picking up an undrafted FA, there is absolutely no value with that offer. The guys that said we have no leverage are right but a 7th rounder is a slap in the face. Hold on to him, until they absolutlely need the cap space. If we could keep him until training camp and a injury occurs he will at least get us a 4th rounder in 07.

The Vikes and Raiders are on line 2 & 3

I heard on espn tonight that Brett Favre has not decided yet if he will play next season or not. If he decides not to play, they will only have one QB on their roster, the kid that was drafted after Campbell last year.

I think good things will start to happen if we hold on to Patrick just a little longer.

I second that. It's probably best at this point to take the 7th rounder - which due to the Jets record is only a few picks below our 6th rounder - or, perhaps, just release Ramsey (classy!) so he can have more input in regards to his immediate future. Either way, all is well.

One question, though. Jimster, who is this "Tony Banks" guy? Where would I know him from?

EDIT: Only 7 rounds in the draft.

I know there's only 7 rounds, but do they? ;)

Tony Banks was our QB in 2001 under Marty and has been David Carr's back-up since then.

...Add Gus Ferotte to this pool of available QB's.

I would hold onto him. Kerry collins, and Brooks are going to command much bigger contracts and it makes Ramsey look like a bargain. I'm sure a conteder out there would give up a 5 or 6 to get Ramsey as a back up.

What about the Chiefs, Colts, Steelers, Panthers, Bucs. These teams really have no # 2 to speak of.

Colts seem to like Jim Sorgi:whoknows:

Steelers just re-signed Charlie Batch

Panthers just re-signed Weinke

Bucs traded for Tim Rattay at the end of last year.

Miami now needs a back-up, as does KC, Cincy and St. Louis.

I heard on espn tonight that Brett Favre has not decided yet if he will play next season or not. If he decides not to play, they will only have one QB on their roster, the kid that was drafted after Campbell last year.

I think good things will start to happen if we hold on to Patrick just a little longer.

Not to nit pick, but Aaron Rodgers was actually taken the pick right before Campbell last year, not after. Rodgers was #24, Campbell #25.

Agreed. We just gotta keep our powder dry. There's no guarantee that Culpepper's knee is going to be healed enough for him to play by the beginning of the season. Palmer and Brees are both coming off shoulder injuries and may take longer to heal than thought. Further, the Bungles have nobody as a backup and the Chargers have an untested starter as a QB. Besides that the Cards have Kurt "Tissue Paper" Warner starting and the Rayduhs have Tuiasosopo (a career backup). There's a lot to be said for being patient at this point. Maybe we're not going to get a 2nd or 3rd like I thought and wanted, but a 7th is just a joke.

The only real downside to waiting is that it screws Ramsey in terms of letting him get out there early to find a team and get acclimated. However if it were me, I'd guarantee him a roster spot in exchange for sitting tight and let him go as a F.A. the following offseason when hopefully there'd be more of a market for QBs.

Archived