Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Effects of FA on the 2006 Draft?

EnFoRcEr_uPu

Well, we all pretty much know what team needs what. Arizona needed a RB and some O-line help. New Orleans needed a QB, as well as Miami. We need a DE(and others obviously), etc...

Now though, that Arizona has edge, New Orleans has Brees and the numerous other trades and FA pick-ups going on this offseason, do you think we'll see players such as AJ Hawk moving up in the draft over some of the offensive players that were expected to be drafted in the early to mid 1st round? Guys such as maybe Lindel White(sorry if I spelled that wrong) and Jay Cutler? Or even Leinhart.

To Hail with the draft picks!!! Trade them for proven veterans, that we know can play in the NFL... shrink the gambling window, and sign free agents etc...

Its better to build through the draft. We should not trade draft picks for proven veterans becuase proven veterans in Free agency havent proved Jack S*** when it comes to playing for washington. Atleast Rookie draft picks will develope into something.

I think we will go with Cornerback in the draft. I would like for us to pick up Darryl Tapp but if Tye hill somehow falls to us id rather pick him.

But i think tapp will be the best choice for us.

• 4 weeks later...
Its better to build through the draft. We should not trade draft picks for proven veterans becuase proven veterans in Free agency havent proved Jack S*** when it comes to playing for washington. Atleast Rookie draft picks will develope into something.

I disagree. I think that free agents are better because they are ready to play immediately. Draft picks are very variable as to will they adapt emotionally, physially and mentally? Then there are those egos and the fact that you're paying them these signing bonuses sometimes for nothing.

Starting spots should be earned because of your play on the field, not given away because of where you were drafted.

I'm thankful that Dan Snyder realizes this and doesn't run the same Michael Westbrook and Heath Schuler experiments that we had going in the past.

I think we will go with Cornerback in the draft. I would like for us to pick up Darryl Tapp but if Tye hill somehow falls to us id rather pick him.

But i think tapp will be the best choice for us.

yea, people build through the draft to keep the cap low, and keep their players young. but if you are active like the skins are, you can clear up the cap pretty well while still bringing in vets who are right before or at their prime...

FA are much more reliable, because they are good in the NFL, the only real thing they can bust with is injuries, which is why you dont bring in injured people... in fact the only FA that didnt work out for Gibbs this go around is M Barrow... im satisfied with everyone else's production. draft picks are the ulitimate gamble. period. they might never develope. they might turn out to be only good because of their college... aka find me five WR that is good in the NFL that came from the Gators (UF). for some reason they bust... maybe their coach makes them really good? who knows.

Well I have to disagree with all of you. Teams are built through a combination of free agence and draft. How much we draft and how active we are in FA each year will depend upon the strenghth of the FA and draft class as well as our draft positions. What I like about this FA class that we signed is that most of them are young enough that they can be a part of the Readskins for many years. I am all for free agencey when we look at beyond the next year. As for the draft I will agree that it can be a gamble and things don't always turn out how they are predictied to. But at the same time that is part of the game. Sometimes those studs in college just don't work out and sometimes some walk-ons end up having outstanding careers.

In answer to the original post AJ Hawk is a stud and he will definately be a top 10, possibly a top 5 pick. I could maybe see him ahead of White or Cutler if the situation was right. Maybe I am the only one but I think Leinhart may be a little overrated. I guess we will see how is abilities transfer to the NFL.

yea, people build through the draft to keep the cap low, and keep their players young. but if you are active like the skins are, you can clear up the cap pretty well while still bringing in vets who are right before or at their prime...

FA are much more reliable, because they are good in the NFL, the only real thing they can bust with is injuries, which is why you dont bring in injured people... in fact the only FA that didnt work out for Gibbs this go around is M Barrow... im satisfied with everyone else's production. draft picks are the ulitimate gamble. period. they might never develope. they might turn out to be only good because of their college... aka find me five WR that is good in the NFL that came from the Gators (UF). for some reason they bust... maybe their coach makes them really good? who knows.

I agree that teams use the draft to keep their cap low and their squad young. Every year us Redskins fans sit back in a mild form of fear wondering if we will find our way out of Salary Cap Hell, and so far we always do. You have to wonder though, is Salary Cap hell real? Will it ever catch up to us?

Also M. Barrow wasn't the only FA pick-up to not workout for Gibbs. Warrick Holdman has been virtually worthless. David Patten did absolutely nothing then got injured. Walt "Toast" Harris is now in San Fran because he couldn't handle nickle duties let alone the starting job.

As for players being a product of their system in college. That is very true. What you don't ackwoledge is that many NFL players are a product of their NFL teams system. Think about Trotter. He was a beast before he got here, he was terrible as a Skin, he is pretty damn good once again now that he's gone.

I think AJ Hawk is gonna be a BIGTIME NFL player, in the mold of a Chris Spielman. I see him going very early, and honestly, I don't think FA has much to do with it.

He's a good kid too, who calls and talks to his mom before and after every game; seems well grounded. A "Joe Gibbs" type of player if you will.

I know, I know. But it's nice to dream. :)

I agree that teams use the draft to keep their cap low and their squad young. Every year us Redskins fans sit back in a mild form of fear wondering if we will find our way out of Salary Cap Hell, and so far we always do. You have to wonder though, is Salary Cap hell real? Will it ever catch up to us?

Also M. Barrow wasn't the only FA pick-up to not workout for Gibbs. Warrick Holdman has been virtually worthless. David Patten did absolutely nothing then got injured. Walt "Toast" Harris is now in San Fran because he couldn't handle nickle duties let alone the starting job.

Walt Harris was a solid guy for us, and is a solid nickel CB, he just proved he shouldnt start anymore.

David Patten can still do something, and Moss's production, as well as our receiving production did suffer when he went down. Something like no other receiver caugh a ball other than Moss for a few games straight until the final Eagles game (not counting Cooley here as he was an H-Back). Patten is a respected player, if even just one on one. Teams would not care as much when we had any other receiver there other than Patten.

Barrow got injured, he didn't get a chance to prove anything. People cant say he was a mistake when he got injured.

Our other FA's in Gibbs' time have been phenomonal, and all the mediots have ate crow for every single one.

Archived