Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What if Milstein had become the owner?

Greenhorn

...Milstein had become the owner? Would we have been like the Cardinals and horded the money? Not sure what the community thinks, but he reeked of serious penny pinching to me. Dan has had his ups and downs as an owner, but I think he finally gets it. We can't complain about an owner that puts his money back into the franchise.

This franchise is on a serious upswing reminiscent of Gibbs early days. Here is to hoping for the glory days all over again!

This is the second Milstein thread I have seen in a week ... what is wrong with people speculating about an owner who had no chance at the team because the other NFL owners despised him?

Let it go. Life moved on ...

The man was asking a simple question, what's wrong with that? I thought it was pretty interesting. Never thought about it until now.

So does this make you feel like a big man now. Could have been just as easy to ignore this thread than to reply like an arrogant ass. I don't know, some people get mighty brave behind a computer. I just wonder if you would be that arrogant to somebody face to face.

To answer your question about the ownership, I'm glad it's Snyder. A home town boy who got to fullfill his dream of owning his favorite team. He made a lot of dumb moves in the begining but he brought in the teacher and the most respected coach in football, Joe Gibbs. Milstein was so tight with his money that the owners voted him out. Imo, he would have been another Bidwell. Waiting for the handouts.

So say what you want about Snyder but even when he signed Deon Sanders (God, did I ever hate, and I mean HATE him for that move), it was always to improve the team. The man wants to win and he'll pay whatever it takes to do it. The only hand out he wants is for Tags to hand him the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

How about this as a thread title? What if Milstein had become the owner?

Then it would be apparant what the post was about and if people have no interest they can just pass it by. If it interests them they can open it up. :)

Could have been just as easy to ignore this thread than to reply like an arrogant ass. I don't know, some people get mighty brave behind a computer. I just wonder if you would be that arrogant to somebody face to face.

Dude step back and take 2 breaths. An attack and a callout in one post. :doh:

How about this as a thread title? What if Milstein had become the owner?

Then it would be apparant what the post was about and if people have no interest they can just pass it by. If it interests them they can open it up. :)

Yeah, but you don't have to click on the thread to view it. You can just mouse over the title and get a preview.

The point is, why enter a thread to bash it for being a dumb thread?

To the ownership topic...I can't even imagine how frustrating it would be to be a fan of a team with a cheap owner. Imagine having to just hope for a random collection of great draft picks & journeymen to even have a chance to compete??

so you are saying it takes too much effort to restrain oneself when reading a post? Think about your logic. I read posts all the time without posting a reply. Believe me, some of the posts aren't worth reading, but I don't shove it in their face.

Could have been just as easy to ignore this thread than to reply like an arrogant ass. I don't know, some people get mighty brave behind a computer. I just wonder if you would be that arrogant to somebody face to face.

It may be too late for you, but threatening statements like that are a big no-no on this board. I would delete and apologize immediately if I were you. I'm not a mod, but just sayin'...:2cents:

I think we escaped a bullet there when the Milsteins were dismissed. I hate to think what we'd be like. I think The Danny has grown up a little and has become not only one of the richest owners, but one of the BEST owners as well. He has shown you can spend money, put a winner on the field, and make a profit. So many of these owners think you can only make a profit if you keep the locks on your wallet (and making a profit is all they are concerned with).

Hail,

H

so you are saying it takes too much effort to restrain oneself when reading a post? Think about your logic. I read posts all the time without posting a reply. Believe me, some of the posts aren't worth reading, but I don't shove it in their face.

I'm not downing your topic, just post a clear title. :2cents:

Dude step back and take 2 breaths. An attack and a callout in one post. :doh:

Stepping back........ Taking a couple of breaths.............Okay, I feel better now. Sorry for the so called call out. I guess that just lowered me to his level. Thanks for the advise, dude.............;)

Never said it was a dumb thread. Reread what I wrote. The title stinks, imagine if the whole board titled posts like that.

Right...I see your point. I was referring more to the dude who jumped in here just to rip the topic and didn't weigh in.

I agree the title should be more clear, however the guy who came in just to rip it could have avoided coming in had he moused over the title to get the gist of the post.

Anyway, we've spent too much time talking about thread titles! :cheers:

Let's review. :)

8. Please use descriptive and accurate subject titles for your posts.

Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It also serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed, and potentially prevents multiple threads being started on the same topic.

Title's been edited.

Back on topic. :)

Stepping back........ Taking a couple of breaths.............Okay, I feel better now. Sorry for the so called call out. I guess that just lowered me to his level. Thanks for the advise, dude.............;)

No problem. :cheers:

Looking at Milstein's sports history it would have been a complete disaster. He owned the New York Islanders and was more concerned about turning a profit than anything and traded away every notable player on the team. Milstein and Milbury (GM) ran that organization into the ground and they still aren't completely recovered.

http://www.newyorktickets.biz/new_york_islanders.html

Pickett then sold the team to a group that included Howard Milstein and Steve Gluckstern. Initially the team made numerous trades in an effort to create a better team, trading such popular young players as Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe, but this group eventually ran the team on an austerity budget in an attempt to make a profit. Milstein repeatedly cried poverty while claiming that he couldn't, or perhaps simply wouldn't, invest more money in the Islanders' payroll, all while coming up with hundreds of millions of dollars in aborted attempts to purchase the NFL's Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns. Eventually, under Milstein and Gluckstern, popular players who made more than $1M US – Zigmund Palffy, Trevor Linden, Bryan Berard, and enforcer Rich Pilon – were all traded or released. In 2000, Milstein and Gluckstern sold the team to Computer Associates executives Charles Wang and Sanjay Kumar.

EDIT: Milstein bought the team in 1998.

So, what if George Preston Marshall had taken a drink from the Holy Grail? Would the team be in worse shape now?

<ducking>

Well, inexplicably, Harrison Ford has aged (as has Sean Connery), so I don't know how much stock I put in this "Holy Grail" theory. :)

Archived