Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Front Office Strategy?: Bonus/Goodwill/Restructuring

Reaganaut

I'm no expert on front office strategy at all in the NFL, but I do watch the Redskins and it seems players get more than average signing bonuses that create a high degree of goodwill with the player and agent. Then... when restructuring needs to occur like with Springs, Portis, Moss, Brunell, whoever... the players seem willing to restructure their deals to accomodate new players. Skins players just seem "happier" than most NFL players when it comes to money and know that the team is just trying to "beat the cap." If true it seems like a sound business strategy for success under a cap situation.

I have no facts here to back me up and may be blowing smoke. Does this hold any water at all?

you make it sound like they need to be convinced to restructure. While I'm sure the players derive some sort of value geared towards helping the team by restructuring, you have to examine what they're doing. They're taking non-guaranteed money and converting it into guaranteed money. Why wouldn't they want to do that?

did you hear what Colin Cowherd said this morning on espn radio? Apparently, when you pay players none of them are interested in playing anymore. I believe that with the strategy the skins use, players are no longer worried with the burden of their contracts because they got a phatty bonus. In turn, the play better and focus on winning, because they are having fun!

Its not like the players are giving away charity to the team, they are benefitting from this!! Its the same amount of money that is basically apportioned differently. Many times its not as if they have a choice it is just triggered by contract clauses placed in there by the Redskins.

I get the point from Cowherd about fat bonuses causing players not to play anymore (Stubblefield, Gilbert et al.) I don't see that with any current Skins players though. I'm probably missing something that is in the fine print of contracts. It seems as though Skins players play pretty hard.

Its not like the players are giving away charity to the team, they are benefitting from this!! Its the same amount of money that is basically apportioned differently. Many times its not as if they have a choice it is just triggered by contract clauses placed in there by the Redskins.

Further, if your not asked to restructure, you may not be in the teams future plans.

Archived