Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clutch the pearls: I agree with Czaban

Lombardi's_kid_brother

I don't like living in a world where he makes sense:

Brandon Lloyd was a 3rd round pick out of Illinois, and was acquired for a 3rd and a 4th. My first thought was simply: “Why don’t we go find our own Brandon Lloyd this year in the draft?” But I guess the Skins under Gibbs and Snyder just HATE the draft so much, they didn’t want to bother.

http://www.czabe.com/daily/

In general, it's a postive take on free agency, but he does ask a few good questions.

Czabe's take doesn't hold water. First of all there's no guarantee that our 3rd or 4th round pick will end up as good as Lloyd in the first place (or even start in the NFL - 1st rounders have spotted histories). Ask the Eagles about Freddie Mitchell - how about Taylor Jacobs?. Secondly, it takes at least 2-3 years for most WR's (even if they are 1st round picks) to develop. You think Gibbs wants to wait that long to make a run (would we as fans be patient enought to wait)? Free agents are known commodoties which is why it makes sense to trade draft picks if you identify a player you think will help the team.

We could spend a 3rd picking a developmental wr. That might or might not turn out. Now we know what Lloyd is. We give up a little more to get him than SF did but he is now a 4th year wr. The fact is that wr is the position that is hardest to translate into the NFL. Very few wr's do much for a couple of years. The reality is we are very unlikely to get a receiver as good as Lloyd THIS YEAR with a 3rd pick THIS YEAR. That's why it makes sense to do the trade - we're getting a known commodity. He already has shown that he isn't a bust. Drafting is hit or miss.

By that logic Terrel Davis was a 6th round pick, so why don't teams find their own Terrrel Davis's in the draft every year in the 6th round??

1. A 3rd roudner this year has to develop...It took Lloyd 3 years to become the player he is now...

2. Lloyd's upside is what we're trading for....We have been targeting young players who are entering his primce and he fits into that category....

Specifically, you guys are right: Lloyd is a much safer choice than any third round pick. However, the broader question is accurate: why can't the Skins ever seem to discover/develop their own mid-round players?

Pierce is the only real example I can recall -- and, of course, they failed to recognize his talent until it was too late. It would have been easy to sign him to a longer contract back when everyone was talking about him in practice. Once he was making plays on the field -- and an impending FA -- it was too late.

Specifically, you guys are right: Lloyd is a much safer choice than any third round pick. However, the broader question is accurate: why can't the Skins ever seem to discover/develop their own mid-round players?

That's a valid question. However, if this way works, it doesn't really matter, does it?

Of course, this way has to work first ...

I don't like living in a world where he makes sense:

http://www.czabe.com/daily/

In general' date=' it's a postive take on free agency, but he does ask a few good questions.[/quote']

The logic is backwards on this one I think...but, just in case, lets draft whoever played RB for Texas Tech last year with our fifth rounder. Because we might need him to come off the bench get 200 yds in the Super Bowl this year. Also, trade Ramsey to Oakland for Gallery. Voila, he's the next Jim Lachey!

That's sort of the discussion I was trying to trigger with this.

Hines Ward was a third round pick. He did not demand a big salary until this year and even then it was less than what Randle El just got.

And frankly, let's not pretend that free agency is anything less than a crap shoot than the draft. Brandon Lloyd has just hit the jackpot. What's to stop him from opening a record label and stop working out?

In terms of continuity and cost, developing players makes more sense to me than buying them in free agency.

But I am clearly in a very very small minority here.

Archived