Extremeskins

Redskins name will never change now

timitim

Which one?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• G. Williams
    • A. Saunders

I know that there are alot of you out there in the work force that sit/stand at your job and think about the Washington Redskins on a daily basis. I know for a while there i was really sweatin the CBA and its outcome hoping for an extension so that we could have more money to sign some much needed players.

As i was surrounded with my thoughts i was thinking about 3 of the top 5 contributors to the revenue-sharing plan are teams from the NFC east. For those that don't know who those teams are, they are the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, and the Washington Redskins.

After realizing this i realized that every year we always hear the debate about possible legal action undertaken from certain Indian tribes trying to get the the mascot and name Redskins changed in Washington and other pro and college team in the U.S. and each year they appear to be getting closer and closer to their goal.

The idea cropped in my head that these top five teams have been singled out in this new CBA and will be contributing $7 million into the revenue sharing pool to help keep other lesser income pooling teams afloat. The Washington Redskins mind you are the leading seller in franchise merchandise in the NFL and these two facts IMO are reasons why you may never see a name change in Washington.

We contribute too much money back into the NFL to keep teams like New Orleans and Arizona afloat and financialy able to sign players to their franchise that put butts in the seats for the owners in a vain attempt to get larger Television and radio endorsements. So until these Indian tribes consume themselves with something more worth their time i can call myself a redskins fan till at least 2012.

:logo:

HTTR

I'll be honest, I haven't thought about this much in recent years, but during the 70th anniversary year, I remember reading that Snyder had copyrighted (or purchased the rights to) the Washington Warriors.

That just goes to show you that for time Dan was thinking about the future in case something like this was forced on us. I also imagine he would stand to make quite a bit of money (not sure how the licensing and stuff would work with new team name, but I could see him making a ton of cash before it was official and had to be shared with the rest of the NFL).

Well without repeating what has already been said in previous posts about the name change my idea was mainly sparked by a comment that Dan Snieder made after the CBA was concluded when he said "its a win, win situation."

I must admit i don't hold alot of faith in the fact that Dans money is going to save us if it comes to legal action and NFL pressure but i can assure you that with dans money and the money that we contribute back into the NFL being one of those top 5 franchises helps us out alot.

I'm conflicted with this.As a lifelong fan , one can't ignore the name and the racisim it implies.But, the Redskins had many first when other teams gave lipservice to inclusion.for years Bobby mitchell was the only African American in a front office position though it was a handshaking capacity.

The name may cahnge but I don't see it in the near-term.

I know this has been discussed over and over again in every Skins related forum, so I'll keep the remarks brief. This always has, and continues to be a non story. If the people that are whining for the name change would ever look at the surveys that have been conducted they would see a relatively very small number of Native Americans have a problem with the name.

Words mean what we want them to mean, in my case I only think of the football team when I hear the word Redskins, not some perceived racial comment. Those that really get this upset over the name of a football team need to move on, and get a life.

Their name will never change... and if it did... they could just shorten it to Washington Skins and I'd be happy. Because then they don't single any one particular person out.

But I highly doubt the name would ever change. I'm 1/4 Cherokee/Seminole mix and the term Redskin doesn't offend me. The term was coined by a Native American. That's a fact. It did not start as a derogatory word.

Their name will never change... and if it did... they could just shorten it to Washington Skins and I'd be happy. Because then they don't single any one particular person out.

But I highly doubt the name would ever change. I'm 1/4 Cherokee/Seminole mix and the term Redskin doesn't offend me. The term was coined by a Native American. That's a fact. It did not start as a derogatory word.

thats true and a very good point.i never see older indians complain.my fault native americans... people this days just want to all play the race card but we live in the least racist of times.

I love the name Redskins, but I dont think Danny would lose any $$ with a name change. In fact, a new name means more opportunity for merchandising, new jerseys, logo, throwback unis?? lets face its, Danny's a marketing genius, he'll find a way to make some loot off of us loyal fans.

The Washington Redskins mind you are the leading seller in franchise merchandise in the NFL and these two facts IMO are reasons why you may never see a name change in Washington.

We contribute too much money back into the NFL to keep teams like New Orleans and Arizona afloat and financialy able to sign players to their franchise that put butts in the seats for the owners in a vain attempt to get larger Television and radio endorsements.

HTTR

Add to those two facts, the fact that the NFL has an initiative to expose youth of diverse backgrounds to the game of football. It is the same program that Gonzales from KC was the player spokesperson last year. On the NFL network just last week they had a former NFL lineman that is (Native American) he was talking about his work with the NFL that includes tribal services.

Archived