Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lavar Needs to Come Back

Abshir

1. changing coaches almost every year and forcing him to learn a new system....enduring losing seasons, etc.

2. DS removing the signing bonus from the final copy of the contract. (sure, the agents messed up by not reviewing it properly, but the fact that it happened was kind of grimy)

3. making him a scapegoat in return for calling the organization out for the contract dispute.

a. taking him off marketing, overblowing his weaknesses to make him look bad

b. sitting him in the beginning of the year when he should've started

c. sitting him on third downs (how do you do that to a guy whose primary strength is blitzing?)

d. coach lindsey's overstepping his bounds by trying to get physical with lavar (players said lindsey was out of line)

all in all, i think lavar's unceremonious exit was premature and in poor taste. sure, he could've reconstructed his contract, but he couldn't get a guarantee that he wouldn't be cut by june 1. with all the animosity built up over the past year or so with the coaches, he may have felt that he would be cut anyway otherwise.

Great Post Couldn't Agree More

Poston Is Done

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2370177

i just read that LaVar agreed to drop the contract dispute on the grounds that he was due some additional bonuses if he made the Pro Bowl this year.

so wouldn't it make sense that his benching was orchestrated so that he wouldn't achieve this? i fault his agents for agreeing to this arrangement because it gives too much control to the organization. but the thing is, his weaknesses were overblown to justify his benching when its likely it could've been done to keep him from making the PB.

i think it's just amazing how many people have blasted him on this board. and he wanted to be a redskin for life despite all the circumstances. it's sad, really

i think it's just amazing how many people have blasted him on this board. and he wanted to be a redskin for life despite all the circumstances. it's sad, really

I think that was his original intention. I was a big LaVar fan and was really upset to see him go. But I am a bigger Skins fan and I was disappointed in the way he left. He was so "loyal", he said he might retire if he was not a Skin. He was so loyal to us that he gave back $4 million so he could leave the team. I know some bridges were burned but the Skins were willing to keep him...he just was not willing to be a team player and restructure his contract for the betterment of the team.

2. DS removing the signing bonus from the final copy of the contract. (sure, the agents messed up by not reviewing it properly, but the fact that it happened was kind of grimy)

3. making him a scapegoat in return for calling the organization out for the contract dispute.

c. sitting him on third downs (how do you do that to a guy whose primary strength is blitzing?)

d. coach lindsey's overstepping his bounds by trying to get physical with lavar (players said lindsey was out of line)

:laugh: you actually believe the team actually promised him 2 bonuses paid the same time?

- Lindsey yelled at him like he yells at every other player. - It's called football. - Coaches yell at you. He didn't like being treated like everyone else.

- Sitting him at the beginning of the year - funny, but Lavar even later admitted the coaches were right and he wasn't ready.

As mentioned, Lavar had to be constantly stroked and coddled by Joe Gibbs, and ran his mouth at the wrong times.

It's too bad things didn't work out for him here, but again let's not exaggerate.

I think that was his original intention. I was a big LaVar fan and was really upset to see him go. But I am a bigger Skins fan and I was disappointed in the way he left. He was so "loyal", he said he might retire if he was not a Skin. He was so loyal to us that he gave back $4 million so he could leave the team. I know some bridges were burned but the Skins were willing to keep him...he just was not willing to be a team player and restructure his contract for the betterment of the team.

man, you've got to read. lavar would've restructured had he recieved the guarantee that he wouldn't be cut by june 1.

what would you do? opt to get cut now where you can test the market while teams still have money or restructure and run the risk of likely being cut? i can't blame him for doing the latter, PLUS he helped the team out in the process.

him leaving the way he did shouldn't be considered a bad thing as far as he's concerned if you ask me.

1. changing coaches almost every year and forcing him to learn a new system....enduring losing seasons, etc.

all in all, i think lavar's unceremonious exit was premature and in poor taste. sure, he could've reconstructed his contract, but he couldn't get a guarantee that he wouldn't be cut by june 1. with all the animosity built up over the past year or so with the coaches, he may have felt that he would be cut anyway otherwise.

:yes:

Thank you TheTotalPackage. I second that.

i just read that LaVar agreed to drop the contract dispute on the grounds that he was due some additional bonuses if he made the Pro Bowl this year.

so wouldn't it make sense that his benching was orchestrated so that he wouldn't achieve this? i fault his agents for agreeing to this arrangement because it gives too much control to the organization. but the thing is, his weaknesses were overblown to justify his benching when its likely it could've been done to keep him from making the PB.

:movefast:

Man, a lot of fans turns on a good decent player like LaVar and Ryan Clark like a Judas Escariot.

How easily did they forget the player's good performances?

So many of you are dismissing this as totally impossible. I can't help but wonder why? What has Lavar or the team done to burn so many bridges?

I'm not saying it will happen, but at least consider the following:

1) D.C. is home for Lavar. That's not changing - Lavar has said as much. Even if he signs elsewhere, Lavar has at least said that he'll still be active in the community.

2) The initial flurry of FA signings seems to be over. It's still possible for Lavar to get a big contract, but his odds decrease I would think the longer the process is drawn out. This makes sense considering that Lavar spent 4.4 million to hopefully be a part of the initial FA contracts

3) If Lavar can't get the contract he was looking for from another team, why wouldn't he return? He knows his place here. He knows what's expected of him to have an opportunity to start. And if he's going to have to sign a 1-2 year deal to prove himself anyway, it seems plausible that he would do that somewhere where you were confident of those things.

On another note, is there anything more annoying than those of you who all you seem to be able to post is that a thread should be closed/locked just because you don't like it. NEWSFLASH, people can have an opinion different from yours. Regardless of whether or not this actually happens, it can at least be discussed without your silly comments. I wish the mods would close/lock you out for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

NEWS!!!! Skins and Lavar Reunite NEWS !!!

If so, he'll lead the team in tackles again; just like he did last year in first game back from injury/doghouse.

Tackles so far behind the line of scrimmage, they should have counted as running back SACKS.

Tackles that take the quarterback out of his game.

Last year, the Skins' defense regressed a bit. If the same happens in 2006, then we'll have built the offense at the expense of the defense. Full friggin circle!

if Lemar moves outside do the Skins have an up-and-coming middle LB replacment?

The draft won't help in the near term.

My second favorite team is the Pats. . free agency is even wierder up here

:movefast:

Man, a lot of fans turns on a good decent player like LaVar and Ryan Clark like a Judas Escariot.

How easily did they forget the player's good performances?

LaVar is one of the good guys in football huh? :laugh:

The fact is... EVERYONE wanted Ryan Clark back. They expected him back. And the only time people resented Ryan Clark was when he was waving the Terrible Towel at the Pittsburgh airport before the ink was dry on his contract and declaring Steelers fans are better than Redskins fans.

Get your story straight.

LaVar is one of the good guys in football huh? :laugh:

The fact is... EVERYONE wanted Ryan Clark back. They expected him back. And the only time people resented Ryan Clark was when he was waving the Terrible Towel at the Pittsburgh airport before the ink was dry on his contract and declaring Steelers fans are better than Redskins fans.

Get your story straight.

CH...CH....BURN!!!!

A Dishonorable Discharge

By UnWise Mike

Friday, December 30, 2005; E01

What in all likelihood was LaVar Arrington's last day in the home locker room after a regular season game at FedEx Field featured an ugly shouting match in the training room with his position coach, Dale Lindsey. Arrington had grown tired of Lindsey, the linebackers coach, calling him from upstairs in the booth, berating him for missed assignments in a victory over the New York Giants last Saturday.

He finally hung up on Lindsey, and the feud carried over into the locker room, growing more profane and personal. It ended with Arrington telling Lindsey to "Back off!" and "Treat me like a man!" According to two persons privy to the altercation, the coach went a tad more overboard than the player.

"I was thinking, 'Enough already,' " said one player, on condition of anonymity. "Let LaVar be."

What a fitting send-off for Arrington, the guy who carried Daniel Snyder's banner during the lean years. Beautiful. Way to emotionally beat down a proud, sentimental veteran whose only real character flaw was that he stubbornly believed enough in this organization to want to retire here.

This town is a win from going absolutely ga-ga over Joe Gibbs's team again. Beat the Eagles on Sunday and Gibbs secures a postseason berth for Washington for the first time since 1999. "Ten and six" must sound so much better than 6-10 to the true zealot. What a phenomenal, 12-month turnabout that would be.

But let's not forget the marginalization of Arrington, the franchise's most popular player of the new millennium. The spin being put out on Arrington's latest comments is frankly amazing. Many are ripping the guy who told the Washington Times this week that management didn't want him, that he was most likely done in Washington. People are treating Arrington as if he were a T.O. clone, creating controversy, stirring the pot on the brink of the franchise's most important game in years.

No one is talking about how in two humiliating years, Mr. Redskin was callously turned into Mr. Irrelevant.

Hampered by injury and the lack of confidence his coaches have in him, Arrington rarely plays on third and fourth downs anymore. On many Sunday afternoons, when the opposing offense is facing a third and long, Arrington sits. Never mind that he is bigger and faster than Fred Dean was lining up at defensive end for the great 49ers teams of the 1980s, Arrington's pass-rushing skills are somehow deemed too insignificant to help a blitzing, aggressive defense.

When Arrington is given a fair amount of snaps, the masses are informed that it has nothing to do with Arrington playing the way that earned him two Pro Bowl selections. No, they say LaVar got religion, believed in the principles of defensive coach Gregg Williams's system, finally put in the rehab and film time needed to be rewarded with more playing opportunities.

Arrington was asked about a moment he thought his career changed in Washington. He was reminded of a Wizards game last season. His face was flashed on the overhead video scoreboard and was greeted by intermittent boos. He was taking the heat for his team's dismal season. After the game, Arrington waited patiently as the crowd filed out. He had arranged to get a pair of signed shoes from a visiting NBA player. MCI Center security guards would not let him back near the locker rooms. The most popular athlete in town was treated like a deranged fan demanding to be let in the locker room for an autograph.

Arrington got angry and emotional before his future wife calmed him down. The next day, he canceled his season tickets. Was his love affair with Washington already dying?

"No, the town never turned on me," he said, sitting in front of his locker at the team's practice facility in Ashburn on Wednesday. "They were always behind me. It was individuals. That's all I'm going to say."

He won't say who, but we already know where and with whom the enmity began. Snyder, the team owner who made him fabulously rich and befriended his charismatic, handsome linebacking star, dumped him quicker than AOL stock. From the moment Arrington filed a contract grievance in March 2004, contending the team omitted $6.5 million in bonus money agreed upon for the 2006 season, he was shuttled out of Snyder's suite and sent to the doghouse. The Redskins said they did not owe Arrington the money, and the linebacker eventually dropped the arbitration case.

But with Snyder no longer in his corner, it became open season on Arrington for the coaching staff.

When Arrington was hardly playing in late September and early October this season, he saw Snyder in a hallway and was about to offer some pleasantries. "Don't talk to me," the owner said, according to a person who saw the encounter. "I didn't have anything to do with this."

When Gibbs and his coaching staff took over the team two years ago, they did not consider Arrington to be part of the solution to the franchise's woes; they saw him as another impediment. They believed Arrington could not curb his individualism for the good of the team. They never got around the perception that he could not fit in. They saw Arrington as a nuisance -- a high-maintenance, high-salaried star who could never live up to his Pro Bowl aura or reputation.

As effective and bright as the team's coaches are, they decided who Arrington was and what he was about before they gave him a chance to see what he could become. And when he finally showed them his worth, his body betrayed him again. He played only two full games last season and missed 12 games with a bone bruise.

The injury cost Arrington a shot at proving his worth to Williams and his staff. They moved on and inserted lesser-known players, and the defense turned in one of its best years in recent memory. Returning from offseason knee surgery robbed him of his explosiveness this season. He wasn't their cup of tea to begin with, and his ailments made it that much easier to cast him aside.

Arrington's representatives asked that they be allowed to speak with other teams about a possible trade early this season, but were rebuffed both times. Now, it wouldn't be a surprise if the team waited until mid-July to cut him, after every other franchise has run out of salary-cap room.

Was Arrington also to blame for this pending divorce between player and team? No doubt. He is an emotionally deep, feeling person. If he was being honest with himself, Arrington would admit he took things too personally, internalized every slight, felt his loyalty and accomplishments before Gibbs was hired were completely overlooked by the new regime.

He hated the perception that he was only a freelancing, headhunter, unable to coexist in a defense built on elaborate schemes that demands on-field discipline from its players. It made him look book-smart and system-dumb.

But when your face stops appearing in the team's marketing campaigns, when they don't restock your jersey in the team store until the demand becomes overwhelming, when the assistant gets in your face like you're the walk-on, the writing is on the wall.

Crazy, no? Most people in the organization believe they learned to win without Arrington. They have no idea that they won in spite of how they treated him.

Archived