Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wilbon - The Cash Cow Adds A Few More Horses

JimmiJo

Quote:

Originally Posted by shallyshal

here is the deal.. next year the skins will only ask their qb-- either brunell or campbell-- not to lose the game. that is it. just don't lose it. the rest of the team will be so deep and explosive that even mediocrity at the qb position will be good enough... by the next year, campbell should be ready to be to match that lights it all, but for this year, just don't lose it..

good point

I agree with Wilbon and have been saying the same thing. The QB position will be the key. It would be nice to get Campbell in there for 8 - 12 games and insert Brunell at the end for a playoff run. Campbell would get experience and Brunell would be fresh for the playoffs when a vet QB is most valuable. I am assuming Brunell will be on par with his play last year and has not lost further steps and arm strength. First or second year QB's generally tend to struggle in the playoffs. Brady and Ben R. are exceptions to the rule and not the norm. I am not saying Campbell can't get it done, but the odds are not in his favor.

The one thing I don't necessary agree with is just an implication. Wilbon wrote this entire article making it seem as though we had one year to realize the potential of this team. I don't believe that to be the case at all.

This team is set up for a few years together. I think we can be fine at QB for those next few years with Brunell eventually backing up Campbell.

Right now, we don't even know who is going to start the season. I'm partial to Campbell, since I wouldn't mind spending this year getting everyone acclimated with the program and make a more serious run in 2007. Plus, I think we can still be successful if we minimize Campbell's impact. He doesn't have to win games... Saunders just has to put him in a position not to lose games. That's much easier with a strong running game... which the Redskins do have.

Then in 2007, with a year of experience and confidence, Jason might be ready to take the leap. And we'll have the team core in tact for another 5 years.

But the QB position is key in 2006.

Where have you read or heard that Brunell isn't starting next season??? NOWHERE, because he is the starter of this team. We need him to start. He will adjust to a new scheme (Saunders) much quicker and easier than a second year QB with NO playing time.

Plus, we did not bring in all of these players with these large contracts (that really only last for two to three years due to the cap) and pay record money for a coaching staff to just have a rebuilding/fine tuning year. We are going for the gold now.

Where have you read or heard that Brunell isn't starting next season??? NOWHERE, because he is the starter of this team. We need him to start. He will adjust to a new scheme (Saunders) much quicker and easier than a second year QB with NO playing time.

Plus, we did not bring in all of these players with these large contracts (that really only last for two to three years due to the cap) and pay record money for a coaching staff to just have a rebuilding/fine tuning year. We are going for the gold now.

I disagree with your logic (but agree with your QB choice).

We are not in a SB or bust mentality. Everyone we have on this team will be here for a while so we don't have to win anything in 2006. I think Brunell will start the season but I wouldn't be surprised if Campbell gets some reps.

Wilbon brings up a point, however if we'd signed a QB he would find something else to complain about. He IS one of the wet-blanket twins. I'd love to have a Redskins fan writing for the Washington Post. Can you imagine after yesterday complaining about anything?! I'll take Brunnel's performance last year, especially when you add in two credible receivers to get people off Moss's back.

Holy cow, it's as if every team in the league has a question mark or two. Oh wait - they do. There is no such thing as a team without any question marks. Even if we had a Tom Brady instead of Mark Brunell, an injury can always mess up a "paper champion." Nothing Wilbon wrote is earth-shattering.

The bottom line is that these additions strengthen an already solid core and put the Redskins in pretty good shape heading into next year.

Wilbon makes a good point in this article. All these signings are great, but it all hinges on A: Brunell lasting the season, or B: Campbell being ready to take over. We can't afford for the QB position to hold us back, because it CAN hold us back.

I would have to agree and say that Ramsey and his little bit of his experiance over Campbell is looking like a really , really good option at this point.

why does no one raise the issue that we could have Brunell as the starter, and then once the game is in our grasp in the second half put in Campbell for some seasoning.

that solves all our problems..

This certainly seems like the most fesible choice. Brunell is our starter, that will not change, only thing we need to do is start giving Campbell a little playing time to help ease the transition. I mean, if Brunell gets hurt *knock on wood* we don't want Campbell jumping in cold.

here is the deal.. next year the skins will only ask their qb-- either brunell or campbell-- not to lose the game. that is it. just don't lose it. the rest of the team will be so deep and explosive that even mediocrity at the qb position will be good enough... by the next year, campbell should be ready to be to match that lights it all, but for this year, just don't lose it..

I agree completely. Success will depend on the OL giving protection long enough for the QB to be able to go to the 2nd or 3rd receiver.

Last season Mark gained extra time via roll-out. That worked fairly well as Santana had a record year and Chris had good success. However, the roll-out cuts down the field of play. So, in my opinion, in order for our 2nd and 3rd WRs to be effective our QB needs to be able to stay in the pocket so as to have the whole field in play.

Thanks for the link! Good read, Wilbon put together a nice article that read true...

Our team coming into this season reminds me of the run we made to SuperBowl XXII...

we had a very good team, with a fairly unproven quarterback Jay Schreoder and a crafty old vet Doug Williams...

Schreoder started most games, Williams playing sparingly... We made it to tournament (playoffs) with a healthy vet (Williams) who hadn't played the entire season...

And when the games really counted... Doug Williams SB XXII MVP!!! SuperBowl Champs the Washington Redskins!!!

I see history repeating itself...

Jay Scheoder / AKA Jason Campbell

Doug Williams / AKA Mark Brunell

Sing Bobby Mitchell, sing....

Wilbon makes a good point in this article. All these signings are great, but it all hinges on A: Brunell lasting the season, or B: Campbell being ready to take over. We can't afford for the QB position to hold us back, because it CAN hold us back.

tell me one team's season that does not hinge on the play of their starting qB and the overall depth at that position? Who is Peyton's back up? Dante? Trent Green? Brady's? hassleback? almost every team is one injury away from a bad season.

tell me one team's season that does not hinge on the play of their starting qB and the overall depth at that position? Who is Peyton's back up? Dante? Trent Green? Brady's? hassleback? almost every team is one injury away from a bad season.

Um, okay. Thanks for the backup Captian Obvious. :laugh: Seriously, am I the only one that believe that Campbell wasn't brought in to be the kyle boller of the offense? Hell no, Gibbs wants him to be the franchise QB. That way we aren't making a one year super bowl run. This isn't about next year, this is about the next couple years. And the teams that consitently make runs and making noise are the ones with franchise Qbs. That's the best thing for us, not a medeator of the offense.

I'm not sure why anyone is debating who will start this season. Brunell got us to the playoffs. The only way Campbell gets in is if Brunell gets injured...something that is likely to happen once or twice during the year.

I think Wilbon is right about the QB position. Obviously it's the biggest question mark on the team. I'm a Brunell fan but I'm not sure how much he's got left in the tank. He did give us our best chance to win last year but he also looked a little run down as the year ended.

I'm torn on Campbell. I think Brunell probably gives us the best chance to win right now. And Campbell is going to need some seasoning before he's likely to lead us deep into the playoffs. But Campbell has got to get that experience some time. No amount of practise will do what real game exposure will do. Honestly I think Brunell will be the starter in week one but that Campbell might be by week 17.

Actually, I was pretty surprised that Wilbon even wrote about the Redskins at this point in the year. He takes personal pride in not talking Redskins, even when training camp and the Preseason are in full swing.

Let's not forget that MB's performance was also impacted by teams keying in on our only offensive weapons (Moss, Cooley, and Portis), while protection was inconsistent from game to game.

With consistent protection, Al's offense, and our new "targets of opportunity," MB can take us the distance.

Keep the faith.

Archived