Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wilbon - The Cash Cow Adds A Few More Horses

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/13/AR2006031301923.html

The Cash Cow Adds A Few More Horses

By Michael Wilbon

Tuesday, March 14, 2006; Page E01

The Redskins always look like a No. 1 seed in March, don't they?

Already a contender, they are stockpiling players as only the Redskins of Daniel Snyder can. Need a receiver? Why stop at one when you can have two? Did you think Antwaan Randle El was going home to Chicago to play for the team of his childhood dreams, the Bears? Silly you. Randle El and his Super Bowl ring are coming here.

Brandon Lloyd, who thinks quite highly of himself if you listen to the teammates he left behind in San Francisco, is coming here, too.

Randle El is old school and low maintenance; Lloyd, if half of what we hear from California is true, is one of those new Diva Receivers, as likely to promote a music CD as catch passes. Lloyd came for draft picks, a third and a fourth. (By the way, whatever happened to David Patten, who like Randle El, came to the Redskins from a Super Bowl champ?) Don't worry, the Redskins didn't spend everything on receivers. Adam Archuleta, the Rams safety, plays defense. He was introduced at Redskins Park yesterday. And flying in any moment now for his official introduction in front of the Super Bowl trophies will be Andre Carter, the 6-foot-4, 265-pound linebacker who was also a 49er until this week.

Click on link for full article...

Good article, I thinkhes right on the money on most points.

We gotta hope and pray Brunell can put together a solid seaosn with all the weapons he has. And if not, here's to Campbell being the next Roethlisberger, he certainly has all the physical attributes of Big Ben.

The 2006 season will rest squarely on the shoulders of our quarterbacks.

Wilbon makes a good point in this article. All these signings are great, but it all hinges on A: Brunell lasting the season, or B: Campbell being ready to take over. We can't afford for the QB position to hold us back, because it CAN hold us back.

here is the deal.. next year the skins will only ask their qb-- either brunell or campbell-- not to lose the game. that is it. just don't lose it. the rest of the team will be so deep and explosive that even mediocrity at the qb position will be good enough... by the next year, campbell should be ready to be to match that lights it all, but for this year, just don't lose it..

Wilbon is bang on... on this article. Sorry to say. Usually, you want to make a Super Bowl run with some stability at the QB position.

Right now, we don't even know who is going to start the season. I'm partial to Campbell, since I wouldn't mind spending this year getting everyone acclimated with the program and make a more serious run in 2007. Plus, I think we can still be successful if we minimize Campbell's impact. He doesn't have to win games... Saunders just has to put him in a position not to lose games. That's much easier with a strong running game... which the Redskins do have.

Then in 2007, with a year of experience and confidence, Jason might be ready to take the leap. And we'll have the team core in tact for another 5 years.

But the QB position is key in 2006.

Even if this does turn into a developmental year for Campbell, it's not like this is our only shot. Fortunately we still have a lot of players on both sides of the ball who are only entering their peak years. Brunell and Hall are really the only guys who are clearly in the twilight of their careers.

Wilbon is bang on... on this article. Sorry to say. Usually, you want to make a Super Bowl run with some stability at the QB position.

Right now, we don't even know who is going to start the season. I'm partial to Campbell, since I wouldn't mind spending this year getting everyone acclimated with the program and make a more serious run in 2007. Plus, I think we can still be successful if we minimize Campbell's impact. He doesn't have to win games... Saunders just has to put him in a position not to lose games. That's much easier with a strong running game... which the Redskins do have.

Then in 2007, with a year of experience and confidence, Jason might be ready to take the leap. And we'll have the team core in tact for another 5 years.

But the QB position is key in 2006.

Yeah, this is a tough one. We have to remember that we only have a 3 year window. Coach Gibbs will be gone after that, and there is NO WAY Brunell will stay healthy for 3 more years. He is only good when he is at 100% anyway.

Do we go another year with Brunell and then go with Campbell? Nope, that first year is pretty much a wash, so that would have Campbell starting his second year in Gibbs' last.

That is why we have to start Jason NOW. He has 3 years to get us the big one before Gibbs rides into the sunset.

The only other thing to hope for is the Brady scenario, where Brunell plays like 14 games this year, then Campbell comes in and finishes the job. But that scenario is the exception, not the rule, and we can't count on it. Start Campbell now.

I've convinced myself so much, I may have to consult the coach on this one.

I'd rather have Brunell starting as Saunders will be bringing in a new system. Brunell is a veteran and will adapt to the system much better and quicker than Campbell would. Brunell has excellent awareness, and only experience builds that. I'd rather have Campbell on the sideline for the season (maybe be in sooner if Brunell gets hurt again) learning the system from Collins and learning how to play in the system by watching Brunell. Throwing a young QB in too early can mess them up (look at Ramsey) and once that happens, it's very very difficult to correct. JMO.

I'd rather have Brunell starting as Saunders will be bringing in a new system. Brunell is a veteran and will adapt to the system much better and quicker than Campbell would. Brunell has excellent awareness, and only experience builds that. I'd rather have Campbell on the sideline for the season (maybe be in sooner if Brunell gets hurt again) learning the system from Collins and learning how to play in the system by watching Brunell. Throwing a young QB in too early can mess them up (look at Ramsey) and once that happens, it's very very difficult to correct. JMO.

It was different with Ramsey. He had no protection and just about got murdered. Spurrier is what happened, not putting him in too soon. He didn't start until like week 8 or something anyway.

Campbell is a year in, it's time for him to get off the teat and start doing his thing. Eventually we will live or die depending on whether or not Campbell can really play. We don't have a lot of time, so let's get on with it.

This is Campbell's second season. It's time for him.

How would you rather Campbell get the job, as the starter from the first week of training camp, going through the entire pre-season and into the season getting starters reps, while having a solid veteran as his back-up, or getting thrown into the proverbial fire after Brunell suffers his inevitable (and let's face it - it IS inevitable) injury and having only Antwaan Randle El to back him up, after bench jockeying all season?

Even Roethlisberger, as great as he was his rookie year, got handled by the Patriots in the playoffs. Tom Brady won as a rookie, but how often are we talking about here?

Brady didn't win as a rookie -- he got the job in his 2nd year and led his well coached team to the SuperBowl.

This is Campbell's 2nd year also ---- there's a difference. He can get us to the playoffs baby.

Gibbs has never had great quarterbacks. He had smart ones who don't make mistakes. I think Snyder has superbowl in mind THIS year and looking at our team (on paper compared to others) we have to be the favorites in the NFC. Who else looks as good as we do? I think Brunell has the job unless something happens and that is OK with me. I just hope he doesn't get to sluggish toward the end of the year. Last year he showed me he can still do it late in the season. In every game we had to win I remember Brunell running his ass off to pick up a first down and keep the drive alive. He is a smart quarterback who doesn't make mistakes. If anything hurt us it is that CP was banged up. That hurt us more than Brunell.

This is exactly how Gibbs built the other playoff teams. Surround capable but underrated QB with a great core of offensive weapons and let the weapons do the talking.

2004 Brunell was the triggerman on a paintball gun.

2005 Brunell was the triggerman on a .22.

2006 Brunell or Campbell will have a .50 to work with.

Wilbon makes a good point in this article. All these signings are great, but it all hinges on A: Brunell lasting the season, or B: Campbell being ready to take over. We can't afford for the QB position to hold us back, because it CAN hold us back.

I'm not disgreeing with you when I say this, but I think what Wilbon makes is a very pedestrian point with that comment, and offers another unoriginal and uninteresting piece. I can't believe these guys get paid what they do for notably inferior writing compared to what we see from Om, Art, and others on this site.

Guest santana4prez

Gibbs believes in Brunell , and each season he has gotten better. I think Brunell with the talent around him makes the Pro Bowl.(He should of made it last season:doh: )

here is the deal.. next year the skins will only ask their qb-- either brunell or campbell-- not to lose the game. that is it. just don't lose it. the rest of the team will be so deep and explosive that even mediocrity at the qb position will be good enough... by the next year, campbell should be ready to be to match that lights it all, but for this year, just don't lose it..

True, havn;t thouight about it that way. However with the speed and explosiveness that our WR corps brings to the team, we could probably use the QB with the stronger arm (Probably Campbell). However Brunell's accuracy is probably a bit better. however lloyd seems to be able to catch the tough balls, rather then the ones thrown right to him. However we could always put Randle El as QB. hahah.

Archived