Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins after OL Jeff Mitchell

sean_e_b

Mar 13 David Elfin, of the Washington Times, reports the Washington Redskins may have a visit with free agent OL Jeff Mitchell (Panthers).

Jeff should be a good depth signing. I'm guessing he can play many positions on the OLine. The problem is his age but as a backup may not be a bad pickup.

Height: 6-4 Weight: 300

Born: Jan 29, 1974 - Dallas, TX

College: Florida

Draft: 1997 - 5th round (4th pick) by the Baltimore Ravens

I heard this yesterday we might be looking at him. Good for depth. Elfin is an idiot though. yesterday he was saying he just spoke w/ El who said he didn't sign w/ us. Elfin is usually wrong on these things if I am not mistaken, so you can really only take what he says at face value.

Here's the scouting report on him:

Takes good angles to blocks and generally does a good job of cutting linebackers off at the second level. Shows good body control in space and has the lateral mobility to adjust to the moving target at the second level. Has above-average range and is capable of pulling and trapping effectively. However, Mitchell is undersized and he is far more effective when he is uncovered than when a massive two-gap defenders line up over his head. Lacks ideal bulk, isn't going to engulf many defenders at the point of attack and isn't going to wear many defenders down over the course of the game. Doesn't have great lower body strength, doesn't play with great leverage and can't push the pile in the running game.

He sounds like a decent backup and he can play guard and center. I assume they can get him for relatively cheap, so it would be a good signing.

I heard this yesterday we might be looking at him. Good for depth. Elfin is an idiot though. yesterday he was saying he just spoke w/ El who said he didn't sign w/ us. Elfin is usually wrong on these things if I am not mistaken, so you can really only take what he says at face value.

That's not quite fair...Elfin most likely did hear this straight from RE himself.

Remember, RE left without anything official.

When Elfin reported it, it was probably accurate.

But as we all know, the 'Skins do move at the speed of light!

Reports 10 minutes old are yesterday's news around here !!!

Going into his 10th year...this guy has been a career starter.

He's listed #1 on Carolina's Depth Chart at Center.

Wonder if he or Rabach can play Guard as well.

Will there be competition at Center??

I know Rabach can play guard because that was his natural position when he started out with the Ravens.

Am I that old? The guys only 3 days older than me. We need depth on the O-Line and Mitchell would be a good pickup.

Not really old. Football old, especially for an Offensive Lineman because they take a bigger beating than any other player and have the shortest careers.

The thing that people are overlooking is that Dock is yet to sign his offer sheet. Unless he has done so within the last 36 hours, Mitchell could be looked at as Dock's replacement, or we could move Rabach one spot to the left, and slot Mitchell in to centre.

Dockery has signed the offer sheet, he just hasnt signed a long term deal. Dock will be with us at least next season unless someone wants to give up a first rounder for him. And hell; I'd probably trade Dock for Mitchell and a first.

EDIT: Well its not really that he signed an offer sheet, we tendered him. The only offer sheets he would sign would be with another club, but that probably wont happen since no one wants to give up a first for him.

Dockery has signed the offer sheet, he just hasnt signed a long term deal. Dock will be with us at least next season unless someone wants to give up a first rounder for him. And hell; I'd probably trade Dock for Mitchell and a first.

EDIT: Well its not really that he signed an offer sheet, we tendered him. The only offer sheets he would sign would be with another club, but that probably wont happen since no one wants to give up a first for him.

I've read nothing more than this:

http://kffl.com/player/5927/nfl

Redskins | Dockery has not signed tender

Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:25:15 -0800

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports, contrary to earlier reports, Washington Redskins restricted free agent OL Derrick Dockery has not yet signed his tender offer. He was offered a one-year tender that would require a first-round draft pick as compensation should he sign with another team.

Archived