Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The media is stupid to compare this free agency boom to 2000, here's why...

MorgantownHokie88

Big Signings in 2000

Deion Sanders: 32 (at the time)

Bruce Smith: 37

Mark Carrier: 32

All of these guys were at the end or past their prime. Although our defense did improve the next season, for the long haul, this was not the smart way to go because we did get hamstrung, somewhat with the cap.

Now, we learn from our mistakes.

Brandon Lloyd: 25

Randle El: 26

Andre Carter: 26

Archuleta: 28

All of these guys are just begining to hit their prime, not at the end of their career.

It looks like we have a policy, after learning from our mistakes, that we don't sign free agents to big contracts if they are over a certain age, which is a lot smarter way to go.

There is no way to compare this signing frenzy to the one in 2000.

f the media. Didnt they say we had no shot at the playoffs last season? Yea what happened.

We will prove em wrong again, and they will look like jackasses trying to cover up their tracks and make excuses of why we won the nfc crown, and why we are soo good.

Also, I dont have the time or energy to go through the coaching staffs of each respective year and compare records, accomplishments, ability to evaluate talent, ect. But, yes we are getting younger, and smarter.

This is the biggest difference. With Joe Gibbs arguably the best coach in the league right now, Al Saunders, arguably the best O-Coordinator in the league right now, and Gregg Williams, arguably a top 3 D-Coordinator, directing this talent we are in a very good situation.

Also while we have signed alot of guys, we haven't signed the biggest names out there. Several of our new players can play multiple positions and have made excellent ST contributions over their careers.

The age issue is also worthy to note, but I think the coaching staff is the real difference.

BTW, what difference does it make that we are bringing several new guys on O when we have a new O-Coordinator? All of the guys we had last year are going to have alot to learn under the new system so now is the perfect time to get a few fresh talented faces in the B&G.

I find it interesting that the 2000 "spending spree" keeps being regurgitated by media (and opposing fans) but no mention of the 2004 "spending spree".

Seems to me, if you're objective, that this is much closer to that then 2000. First because of the fact that the players we're signing are in their primes or just entering their prime and not over the hill. Second, it's the same FO/coaching dynamic that's signing the players in 04 and 06.

Come to think of it, has anyone in the media come out and given the Skins FO credit for the great job they did 2 years ago?

But they still choose to focus on 2000, which by the way was successful, but that's another discussion.

I find it interesting that the 2000 "spending spree" keeps being regurgitated by media (and opposing fans) but no mention of the 2004 "spending spree".

Seems to me, if you're objective, that this is much closer to that then 2000. First because of the fact that the players we're signing are in their primes or just entering their prime and not over the hill. Second, it's the same FO/coaching dynamic that's signing the players in 04 and 06.

Come to think of it, has anyone in the media come out and given the Skins FO credit for the great job they did 2 years ago?

But they still choose to focus on 2000, which by the way was successful, but that's another discussion.

Your key word there is "objective"....which the media, typically is not. :laugh:

Just wait 2-3 years from now. All of these contracts will seem like reasonable bargains because the cap will grow like always, which makes players contracts grow.

I'd just like to say if you haven't done it already, go to Dallas and Giants boards as a guest and just read their rediculous posts. More posts on us than their team.

I know, this is proof why the Media is so stupid.

We are signing young,talented,in their prime or about to enter their prime players that we need.

The Media just sees a bunch of good looking names and the paycheck their getting and thinks that Dan Snyder is trying to just jack up on Free Agents.

Bruce Smith was about Bruce Smith and the sack record, Sanders was about Sanders and Mark Carrier was just done. The coaching staffs of that time didn't have the team's confidence. This coaching staff is about team and winning. That is a big difference

Big Signings in 2000

Deion Sanders: 32 (at the time)

Bruce Smith: 37

Mark Carrier: 32

All of these guys were at the end or past their prime. Although our defense did improve the next season, for the long haul, this was not the smart way to go because we did get hamstrung, somewhat with the cap.

Now, we learn from our mistakes.

Brandon Lloyd: 25

Randle El: 26

Andre Carter: 26

Archuleta: 28

All of these guys are just begining to hit their prime, not at the end of their career.

It looks like we have a policy, after learning from our mistakes, that we don't sign free agents to big contracts if they are over a certain age, which is a lot smarter way to go.

There is no way to compare this signing frenzy to the one in 2000.

The comparison is fine. There are certainly differences, but to simply suggest that there's no comparison is rediculous.

Archived