Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we overpaying?

Skins4Life28

I just saw how we signed Andre Carter for 6 years and 30 million. My understanding is he's a big OLB that can play DE as well.

The Cowpukes just signed Akin Ayodele for 5 years, 17 million. He too is a big OLB that played DE in college. Not sure if he can play DE in the NFL though.

Anyway, both are talented OLBs. But we payed nearly twice as much for our guy as the Cowpukes paid for theirs.

Does that make anyone else nervous besides me?????

well, we're paying 5 mil a year and they're paying 3.4 mil a year according to those numbers. Andre Carter was regarded as one of the top defensive lineman this offseason. i dont think we're overpaying, but i dont think our players are coming cheap. it seems to me like we see what we want, and we pay them accordingly.

3 years ago... we overpaid for a guard by the name of Randy Thomas. At the time we gave him an $8M signing bonus. People called us crazy for giving up tackle money to a guard.

Can you get a guy of Randy Thomas' calibre now for $8M?

With the new CBA extension... so like it is supposed to... salary cap goes up every year... will continue to go up... and so will player's salaries.

In 2-3 years... the contracts we signed will be peanuts.

Yeah we seem to be fine with the cap every year. I just dont understand the money behind some of these signings. I love them all, but when I hear the figures I get a little weak in the knees.

Yeah, that's what I mean. How are we able to do this? How are we pulling it off? Even the media is confused! :laugh:

If we get close to the 102 mill cap, what happens next year? How will we be able to tie up Sean Taylor and Cooley? It's great for this year but I worry about the future. I wish I knew more about this stuff, it would really put my mind at ease. :laughL

It's the long term investment strategy. This tactic has them paying big upfront...Making the player happy early keeps them from constantly worrying about their contract because they got their payday, and they're content with it. Also this is the business side of "core". You can expect these guys to be around a long time if they perform to expectations..hopefully above expectations and fill out the core group of players.

Dont get fooled by these high contract numbers. We have to lok at how they are paid and how much is guaranteed. Signing bonus money can be prorated and dont take up as much cap hit.

We have to stop feeding into what the media says. Every year they say the have spoken with several "CAP EXPERTS', who say we are in some deep do-do. And every year we come out clean as a whistle.

I want to hear from that guy who said we will have to play with 15-20 rookies on the roster.:doh:

3 years ago... we overpaid for a guard by the name of Randy Thomas. At the time we gave him an $8M signing bonus. People called us crazy for giving up tackle money to a guard.

Can you get a guy of Randy Thomas' calibre now for $8M?

With the new CBA extension... so like it is supposed to... salary cap goes up every year... will continue to go up... and so will player's salaries.

In 2-3 years... the contracts we signed will be peanuts.

:applause::applause::applause::applause: done and done!

I just saw how we signed Andre Carter for 6 years and 30 million. My understanding is he's a big OLB that can play DE as well.

The Cowpukes just signed Akin Ayodele for 5 years, 17 million. He too is a big OLB that played DE in college. Not sure if he can play DE in the NFL though.

First, Carter is much bigger then Akin. Second, Carter was the 7th overall pick and Akin was a 3rd rounder.
Ayodele has underperformed a bit as a LB with so much promise.

As a DE, Andre Carter has shown he is an absolute force to be reckoned with and a sack machine.

I'd rather dish out the money to land Carter.

I wouldn't say Akin underperformed, he became an every day starter in his second year. His last year wasn't great though.

Carter can be an absolute force, but hasn't shown it since his back injuries. Hopefully he'll be back at 100%.

Archived