Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Check out this clause in the contract the Vikings offered Hutchinson

Big Weirdo

There's a different report out now that makes this deal totally different. Instead of the highest paid player he'd only be the highest paid lineman. That changes everything.

"The $50 million offer sheet that Hutchinson signed Sunday with the Vikings includes a provision dictating that he be the highest paid offensive lineman on his team this season -- or the entire $50 million contract becomes fully guaranteed, according to someone who has seen the offer sheet. Well, Seattle offensive tackle Walter Jones averages $7.5 million per year, while Hutchinson's contract pays him an average of $7 million per year."

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9305826

So basicallly... if Seattle really wanted to be devious and totally dick over the Viking's plan, they'd ask Walter Jones to restructure in a way that makes Hutch the highest paid lineman on the team. Of course, getting a player to give up money is pretty hard to do.

That contract is just sheer genius.

At least we've got you from 'Yes' to 'Pretty Much, Yes'. Maybe we can move up to 'No' if they lose him.:D
Are you going to move from "no" to "yes" if we keep him? :)

The bottom line is that both the franchise tag and the transition tag have risks inherent with their use. The Seahawks FO put some thought into using the transition tag, and in the end when they sign him, it will have worked out pretty much the way they planned it.

The bottom line is that both the franchise tag and the transition tag have risks inherent with their use. The Seahawks FO put some thought into using the transition tag, and in the end when they sign him, it will have worked out pretty much the way they planned it.

I don't think they'll be able to sign him. At this point I'm hoping they won't just so I can see how playing behind a slightly weaker offensive line affects Shaun Alexander.

There is no way they can sign him...it would destroy them cap-wise. Unless Jones is willing to play ball, I don't see how they would be able to swing this contract. :whoknows:

Archived