Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reason Skins Not Interested In Jurevicius?

REDPepper

So Joe Jurevicius has signed with the Cleveland Browns. I was shocked the skins didnt mention going after him. He is a blue collar guy. He is a veteran who is proven. He is BIG, something like 6'4" weighs a lot too. He is pretty cheap as well.

So this fits all the skins criteria in my opinion. Does anyone have any information as to why the skins werent interested? thanks

So Joe Jurevicius has signed with the Cleveland Browns. I was shocked the skins didnt mention going after him. He is a blue collar guy. He is a veteran who is proven. He is BIG, something like 6'4" weighs a lot too. He is pretty cheap as well.

So this fits all the skins criteria in my opinion. Does anyone have any information as to why the skins werent interested? thanks

He's tall and big and blue collar and he's a veteran, to be sure, but, the Skins criteria included a little thing called talent. Jurevicius is a career NOTHING. Last year thrust into a more prominent role with a good QB and top offense he has a good, productive year and even at that he winds up with fewer yards than the guy we just signed.

He's 7 years older than the guy we just added, has absolutely no upside, is little more than a No. 3 receiver throughout his career and he scares absolutely nobody. He's the kind of guy you run away from and hope you find a guy like Lloyd :).

He's tall and big and blue collar and he's a veteran, to be sure, but, the Skins criteria included a little thing called talent. Jurevicius is a career NOTHING. Last year thrust into a more prominent role with a good QB and top offense he has a good, productive year and even at that he winds up with fewer yards than the guy we just signed.

He's 7 years older than the guy we just added, has absolutely no upside, is little more than a No. 3 receiver throughout his career and he scares absolutely nobody. He's the kind of guy you run away from and hope you find a guy like Lloyd :).

ok point taken, i just dont see how we can ignore a guy who is going to come cheap, and is a huge redzone threat. he had 10 td's last season, who's to say he cant do it again?

I don't understand while ya'll are so shocked. We were never mentioned going after him, it was more like the general consensious that Jurevicius was the WR every FAN wanted. Hell, I wanted Jevon Kearse, Warren Sapp, Darren Howard, and Ted Washington not to long ago. Sometimes, it just doesn't work that way. :)

He's a solid player, but even he'll admit that he's only got a few years left at best. I like the guy, and appreciate the fact he accepts his supporting role with every team he's been on without question and works hard. Regardless, signing somebody that's five or seven years younger means that we most likely won't have to look to replace him in two years.

ok point taken, i just dont see how we can ignore a guy who is going to come cheap, and is a huge redzone threat. he had 10 td's last season, who's to say he cant do it again?

We did that in 2000 believing we could get a bunch of old name players who produced decently before they came here. The hope was they'd restore they magic, like take a sip out the fountain of youth, and make the pro bowl while taking us to the super bowl. Needless to say, it didn't work out that way. :deal:

Fortunately, our performance in the red zone has not been a problem for us. We usually struggle getting INTO the red zone, which Lloyd and/or Randle El should help us out with quite a bit.

I can always count on you pre-empting my arguments Art.

You are completely on target. Jurevicious is not anything more than a #3 WR. He doesn't have much potential, and all in all his only good attribute is being tall.

I think with some of the circus catches that Lloyd has made in his career he is a much better end-zone target than Jurevicious.

Another thought here is that when spending the money that it's a little easier and cheaper to find a big slow possesion type WR in FA or later rounds in the draft. Why put that kind of money into that position? Better spending it on the young speed guy with more potential. Never know...Finneran is that type of guy and would be a perfect fit.

:2cents:

Fortunately, our performance in the red zone has not been a problem for us. We usually struggle getting INTO the red zone, which Lloyd and/or Randle El should help us out with quite a bit.

Amen.

I see the guys point though. Eventually teams will figure out our secret.

*cough* mike sellars *cough*

:paranoid:

well i wasnt really complaining about the lloyd signing, i love having brandon lloyd as a redskin (see newly updated sig), but i just wished we could have been in the running for jurevicius AS WELL.

oh well gibbs knows best and if he wanted jurevicius he would have gone after him. so i'm cool with that

Regardless, signing somebody that's five or seven years younger means that we most likely won't have to look to replace him in two years.

With the cap you need to sign "new" players every year. Players want the big payday will leave when their rookie contract is up.

The way to do it would be like Philly who extends the contracts of their young players before they hit FA or even RFA. But even then they have been "cheap" and it has caused problems.

I can always count on you pre-empting my arguments Art.

You are completely on target. Jurevicious is not anything more than a #3 WR. He doesn't have much potential, and all in all his only good attribute is being tall.

I think with some of the circus catches that Lloyd has made in his career he is a much better end-zone target than Jurevicious.

Age, and potential upside. I think the forcus is going to be on youth: Campbell, Moss, Cooley, Portis, Lloyd, Randle El, etc. I think they'll go for Witherspoon FA and a CB in the draft while grooming Clemons. I'm surprised they haven't contacted Kampman.

The thing I really like about Jurevicius is the percentage of balls thrown his way that he catches. And that's what I don't like about Lloyd. Look at these 2005 numbers:

Jurevicious:

Passes thrown to him: 84

Passes caught: 55

Catch percentage: 65%

Yards: 694

TDs: 10

Lloyd:

Passes thrown to him: 109

Passes caught: 48

Catch percentage: 44%

Yards: 733

TDs: 5

The bad thing about Jurevicius is obviously his age. And if Lloyd had played for Seattle his numbers would have been better.

Our coaches obviously saw more than the numbers, and hopefully they can get Lloyd to play better for us than he did for SF. Even Gardner was good for a 50% catch ratio.

Archived