Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Al Sunders Vs. Our New Free Agents

southernskinfan

I normally just read & don't post, but I have a hypothetical Q...

Now that we have some good ideas about who the Skins are targeting/aquiring, in your opinion, who will be the biggest off season aquision?

I Feel like Al Saunder is by far the best aquisition and will be a more significant addition than all the free agents we are considering aquiring combined (Antwan R EL, B Llyod, A.Carder, etc.).

Just curious what people think: does the coach make a greater impact than the player/s on the bottom line?

Some food for thought: The Cheifs under Al Saunders never had anything of the sort of recievers that we have in place already here, let alone the wrs that we are targeting in free agency.

With that in mind, I'd like to believe that Saunders will be our most important offseason acquisition, but there is still a lot of time left before the season starts. I'd like to see what Saunders can do to the passing game with a significantly more talented crop of recievers.

I wander if getting Llyod and other offensive weapons puts a lot of pressure on Saunders? He's taking over the offensive play calling from Gibbs and if Llyod does wind up being a cancer, showboat or something like that with only modest production, does the blam fall on Saunder. I.e. "we gave him talent & he couldn't do anything with it?" Or would it be given to Gibbs? Here's to great improvement in the offense this year though.

I think its going to be Saunders. Not only is he going to help our offense dramatically, he also brings to the table a wealth of knowlege in evaluating talent. Not that Gibbs and Williams haven't been bringing in quality guys since they've been here (Santana Moss was the trade of the year last season) but I'm sure Saunders knows what types of players run his system the best. I also don't believe its going to be a dramatic change in our offensive system since Saunders and Gibbs are both from the Coryell coaching system of USC and the 70's Chargers. But when you put Gibbs and Saunders together our offense should be a force. IF we sign Randel El, Lloyd, Carter, and Archuletta...I'd still give the slight edge to Saunders. I am very impressed by that move...the Cheifs Offense, in my opinion, has been the best system in the game for the past 5 years. Put that together with Williams' D and we should be all set for an 06 Superbowl Run...I'm getting fired up just thinking about it.

I think its going to be Saunders. Not only is he going to help our offense dramatically, he also brings to the table a wealth of knowlege in evaluating talent. Not that Gibbs and Williams haven't been bringing in quality guys since they've been here (Santana Moss was the trade of the year last season) but I'm sure Saunders knows what types of players run his system the best.

This is an excellent point. Having Saunders input on personell should mean a better choice of personell. Gibbs is still "new" to the league and Saunders would have better understanding of available players, right players for the systems, etc.

Although, no one can criticize Gibbs & Co. aquisions so far...

• 2 weeks later...
I normally just read & don't post, but I have a hypothetical Q...

Now that we have some good ideas about who the Skins are targeting/aquiring, in your opinion, who will be the biggest off season aquision?

I Feel like Al Saunder is by far the best aquisition and will be a more significant addition than all the free agents we are considering aquiring combined (Antwan R EL, B Llyod, A.Carder, etc.).

Just curious what people think: does the coach make a greater impact than the player/s on the bottom line?

Agreed. Al Saunders by far. Just his presence on the team is attracting players. People want to play for Al Saunders and with good reason. His offensive schemes are exactly what this franchise needs to make it to the top.

Archived