Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Archuleta, Randle-El, Carter & Collins Flying In To Redskins Park TODAY

RDSKNFN_48

Here is the full take on Lloyd and R-E from ESPN

Lloyd has marginal size for a receiver lacking both the ideal height and the bulk for the position. However, he makes up for his lack of ideal size with excellent athletic ability. He has very good foot quickness and good speed, though his top end speed is not in the elite class. He has a good surge off the line of scrimmage and runs precise routes. He has a burst coming out of his cuts to get separation and shows the ability to move a defender who is in man coverage with very little wasted motion. He uses his hands and his foot quickness to get off press coverage and knows how to find the voids in coverage. He has excellent hands and can make the acrobatic catch. He shows excellent focus and concentration on the ball when it is in the air, and with his long arms and his leaping ability, he will win most jump ball contests. He can be a threat with the ball in his hands and has a good feel for where he is on the field and where the sideline is at all times. He lacks the physical stature to be a physical blocker down field and is more of a screen and wall off guy. A big, strong defensive back can muscle him out of his routes on occasion. Overall, he needs to improve his strength and is becoming a reliable go-to receiver with excellent hands who is competitive for the ball in any situation. He usually catches what he can touch.
Randle El is an outstanding athlete. He has outstanding foot quickness and excellent speed. However, he lacks elite top-end speed. It doesn't take him long to reach top speed and he shows that he is capable of creating separation from a defender by coming out of cuts with a burst. He has great body control and does not have to gear down to make cuts. He has excellent hands and can catch the ball away from his body and on the run. He is a treat whenever he touches the ball because of his slashing running ability and elusiveness. He is always a threat to turn a short play into a big play and does an excellent job with short-to-intermediate routes in the middle of the field. He shows great awareness and knows instinctively what to do when a play breaks down. He works hard at blocking downfield, but lacks the stature to be a dominant blocker. He lacks the elite speed to run by corners and get the separation needed to be a vertical threat and struggles at times to get off press coverage. He has great leaping ability, however, his lack of height will not let him win many jump ball contests. He tends to lose his focus and concentration and may drop some easy catches, but he has improved a great deal in this area. He is a dangerous threat as a punt returner and offers versatility to the offense with his ability to throw the ball on gadget plays. He needs to continue to improve his route running skills and needs to use his quickness more to get off press coverage.

I still think Carter might be the solution on running plays for LB and a very good solution for DE on passing plays - I bet GW will have him all over the field.... I still say can you imagine the Oline bending for both Carter and Clemons on the edges with say Griff and Daniels in at DT? whoof... who do you double team?

it may very well be that we are "pursuing" R-E to throw people off another scent...

with Gibbs it's hard to tell... I remember when I used to go to the Training camp in carlisle... and Gibbs would put a liner on the fence to make sure no one could see in... ::grin:: he is one very paranoid guy when it comes to letting info out... which IMHO is the proper way to be. Though it can be absolute hell on the fans at a time like this :)

Not a Archulata fan. He's overrated in my book. Yeah he can hit, but he's shotty in coverage and whifs on a lot of tackles.

I haven't heard anything on Chris Hope, but if he's out there, I think he's a much better option then Archulata.

We nneed Lloyd. Last season is when he started blooming out of the shadow of Omens. Nobody with an ego is gonna play for Gibbs. After last season and what Brunell showed us and how Moss payed of like a mint I will never doubt a Gibbs signing.

I hate the thought of giving up more picks... especially for Lloyd.

Like the other options though...

Does anyone know how much cap room we have now?

Doesn't necessarily mean picks this year. Washington has made a living using a pick this year and a pick next year type things for a long time. Also I don't see Lloyd requiring two picks, this is speculation from the "mediots", they don't know for sure. If Lloyd's unhappy with the 49er's and they're unhappy with him then he may come cheaper than we think.

ESPN on Archuleta

He is an undersized SS who makes a lot of plays. He is not the same type of player, but the Rams try to do a lot of the same things Pittsburgh does with Troy Polamalu. He has very good straight-line speed for the position. He can come up on the line and match up with the TE in man-to-man situations. They will walk him up over the TE and he gets a nice jam, not allowing the TE to get a clean release. He plays more physical than his size. He flashes the foot quickness to align over a receiver in the slot. He is a solid zone safety -- has very good instincts. He closes well forward and to the sidelines in Cover 2. He is a smart player -- excellent instincts and can distinguish quickly between the run and pass. He anticipates well and shows excellent route recognition. He plays bigger than his size as a hitter -- can blow up ball carrriers and receivers when he gets them lined up. He did not play as well down in the box last season. He tends to get out-sized when blockers are able to reach him. He is not quick to shed blocks in run support. Because of his aggressiveness he does get out of position at times. He will overrun the ball in run support. He is more of a drag-down tackler -- better hitter than wrap-and-finish safety. Though he is fast, he can take some poor angles in coverage. He struggles in coverage as the deep safety. He does not have great ball skills in deep coverage. Overall, he is a high-energy player who flies to the ball. He loves football and plays with passion. He is a good Cover 2 SS and is effective enough dropping down in the box. He has the ability to make a team better in the back end.

Sounds pretty good - especially the intelligence part... could be a good defensive QB for us

If this happens, all I can think is the team plans to essentially be a predominate three-receiver offense with Cooley/Sellers rotating in for blocking, tight end duties. If this is really the plan and I have to let myself come around to believe that it is, well, things are certainly changing.

Portis had some of his best runs out of those 3 WR sets last season

The only potential downside to all of this...the mediots once again screaming the same old junk as always. "Their picking up names not really good players" or "They're trying to buy the Super Bowl again".

You know what though...let them say that junk...the difference this time...we got a coaching staff in place that can make this not just a good team on paper...but very dangerous on the field.

I think El will be too expensive. It sounds like he wants to stay in Pitt.

"If [the Steelers] are a million dollars off, that's not enough to make me leave," Randle El told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "If I'm the No. 2 receiver and the punt returner, and, certainly, I have the opportunity to play, then a million-dollar difference won't make me leave here. Why would I want to move my family if I didn't have to?"

I think El will be too expensive. It sounds like he wants to stay in Pitt.

"If [the Steelers] are a million dollars off, that's not enough to make me leave," Randle El told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "If I'm the No. 2 receiver and the punt returner, and, certainly, I have the opportunity to play, then a million-dollar difference won't make me leave here. Why would I want to move my family if I didn't have to?"

I heard that Randle El has his house for sale...So go figure.

And if any one of our WR (if we get Lloyd) gets hurt? Who steps in to be #3?

Think about the depth with Moss, Patten, Lloyd and R-E... at least if one goes down we still have a viable 3 set threat... without another WR... we don't.

Now... think about Moss, Lloyd, R-E and Cooley all at the same time. Ouch... who do you double cover... who do you leave open with a blitz?

Archived