Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles might not get Bentley

sableholic

"Mark Bartelstein, agent for recently released Jets center Kevin Mawae, said yesterday he has spoken with the Eagles about his client. That's a bit of a surprise, because the Birds have been reported to be poised to sign New Orleans free-agent-to-be center LeCharles Bentley.

One explanation might be that if a new CBA emerges from the current owners meeting in Dallas, the $94.5 million salary cap will rise dramatically and Bentley might suddenly have more suitors and a higher price tag. Until the Eagles actually have signed Bentley, they don't have him, and they could feel a need to hedge their bets."

www.philly.com/mld/dailyn...044643.htm

What difference does it make the Eagles are a kjillion over the cap, they could easily sign Bently to a sweet deal.

Of course if they are out bid they will claim it was a smart move because Bently is over rated and his knees are bad:doh:

Everything I hear is that Bentley is signed sealed and delivered. These Mawae rumors is so Bentley's agent doesn't get a big head. Supposedly, Bent wants the Eagles as much as they want him.

WB, don't spoil the fun man.... let them run this into an 8 page thread on how stupid the Eagles FO is and how cheap they are. Big time fun around these parts man. And you know this.

BTW - Bentley will be an Eagles come Saturday at about 12:01am. That's my guess anyway.

Seems like a certain left coast AFC team is looking at him too...

Chargers | Interested in Bentley?

Thu, 9 Mar 2006 12:38:02 -0800

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the San Diego Chargers are believed to be interested in free agent C LeCharles Bentley (Saints), who could be moved to offensive guard.

Seems like a certain left coast AFC team is looking at him too...

Chargers | Interested in Bentley?

Thu, 9 Mar 2006 12:38:02 -0800

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the San Diego Chargers are believed to be interested in free agent C LeCharles Bentley (Saints), who could be moved to offensive guard.

As much as I don't want to discredit any rumor Bentley has stated he doesn't want to play guard. He'd rather play center.

Everything I hear is that Bentley is signed sealed and delivered. These Mawae rumors is so Bentley's agent doesn't get a big head. Supposedly, Bent wants the Eagles as much as they want him.

You guys have a weird view of your team...I don't know what it is exactly but this comment just strikes me as funny. I really don't think the agent needs to be put in his place or what not since Bentley would be highly coveted regardless of Eagles interest...it's like saying "oh the eagles are saying they are interested to drive up the price on another team" when their past spending habits wouldn't really make anyone take them seriously about spending a boatload on any one player, save for the TO, Kearse year.

Runyan? Steve Everett? Nate Wayne? Jones?

The Eagles pay market value (and sometimes more) when they want a FA. I think the biased Redskins fan view and the view from agents in the NFL is drastically different.

My thinking is the Eagles and Bentley have an agreement in principle but the Mawae rumors are to keep their options open because Bentley's agent will probably leak a few other teams in the next day or so to put a little pressure on the Eagles before Saturday.

BTW, why do you think the Skins are mentioned and linked to EVERY FA EVERY YEAR? Because agents know its the best way to drive up the price of their player. Are you proud that your owner is known for OVERPAYING players?

Is this how you get value?

The Eagles pay market value (and sometimes more) when they want a FA. I think the biased Redskins fan view and the view from agents in the NFL is drastically different. [/Quote]

Right they pay market value, exactly my point...it's not like you are going drive up or drive down the price on anyone because they aren't known to break the bank on people they highly covet save for extremely recent history. Given how that situation turned out I would think agents and the rest of the league are pretty aware they Eagles may be gun shy to do the same.

BTW, why do you think the Skins are mentioned and linked to EVERY FA EVERY YEAR? Because agents know its the best way to drive up the price of their player. Are you proud that your owner is known for OVERPAYING players?

No I think it's stupid that they have overpayed in the past. However since Gibbs return they have completely changed that culture. HOWEVER yes the best way to drive up a price on someone is to mention the skins because like it or not they do have that history. I'm just saying that an organization like the Eagles does not have that history so them "playing the game" so to speak would have less impact than if an organization such as the skins, or possibly the Cowboys would do it.

Come on. You still overpay. Look at the contract Patten received last year!

Also, the Eagles gave Kearse the highest DE deal of all time. If they want someone, they will overpay.

Oh, no...you couldn't help yourself could you?

Bentley shouldn't even be a question mark if the Eagles were serious...can't they afford him? :laugh:

No, they look at the older guy because he might turn into a bargain...something the Eagles's FO can't resist...a cheap solution.

I guess paying that extra for Patten paid off, though...we did make the playoffs. :doh:

BTW, where has Bentley said he's really, really interested in being an Eagle? Just asking...

You pay for future potential, not past performance...

This is where the Skins used to always get in trouble. I thought for sure they were done falling in this trap.

Now I see their two main targets are Archuletta and Bruce. Sigh.

And with that ton of cap, where to the Eagles go first? They sign Barber for minimum...OMG, WB, I thought the Eagles were over being cheap.

Oh, no...you couldn't help yourself could you?

Bentley shouldn't even be a question mark if the Eagles were serious...can't they afford him? :laugh:

No, they look at the older guy because he might turn into a bargain...something the Eagles's FO can't resist...a cheap solution.

I guess paying that extra for Patten paid off, though...we did make the playoffs. :doh:

BTW, where has Bentley said he's really, really interested in being an Eagle? Just asking...

He's the number 1 rated FA this year, by Pastabellys list. There will be a lot of competition for him...

Is the fact you made the playoffs erase any bad moves you made? If that's the case, why do you always criticise the Eagles FO when we went deep in the playoffs five years in a row.

Finally, why would Bentley say he was really really interested and get his future team in trouble for tampering. There have been lots of secondary sources reporting this, open your eyes.

You pay for future potential, not past performance...

I don't even know what to say to that statement. I guess you guys really screwed the pooch when you signed Kearse then...because I'm sure his past performance has nothing to do with making him the "highest paid DE of all time"

I don't even know what to say to that statement. I guess you guys really screwed the pooch when you signed Kearse then...because I'm sure his past performance has nothing to do with making him the "highest paid DE of all time"

He was all of 27 when we signed him....

Archived