Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: NFL Owners End Meeting Without Labor Deal

Mister Happy

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1698733

NFL Owners End Meeting Without Labor Deal

NFL Still Without Labor Peace After Team Owners Meet for Most of Day Without Reaching Agreements

By DAVE GOLDBERG

GRAPEVINE, Texas Mar 8, 2006 (AP)— The NFL was still without labor peace after team owners met for most of Tuesday without reaching any agreements.

Yet another deadline looms Wednesday, with owners trying to decide whether to accept the union's latest proposal.

A decision on whether to extend the collective bargaining agreement was unlikely to come down until close to the latest deadline of 8 p.m. EST on Wednesday. Before making a deal with the union, the owners must resolve their own differences over expanded internal revenue sharing. If they don't get that straight, a CBA deal is unlikely.

League spokesman Joe Browne said Tagliabue had agreed with Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the NFL Players Association, that the owners would have a decision no later than 8 p.m. EST Wednesday. That would come as the union, which is meeting in Hawaii, holds its executive board session.

I don't know how everyone else feels about this, but if I was Snyder, Jones, or anyone else that works their butt off to make their franchise marketable, I would not fold and agree to give these sorry franchises a bigger piece of the pie. There are owners that just sit back and collect a paycheck. There are owners that are doing EVERYTHING they can to further their product, and others that just like to sit back and be rich. Why should teams with a loyal and vast fan base simply fold? It eliminates the fan when you do that.

There's a salary cap for a reason. If you can't afford the salary cap, then you are not running a successful business. The NFL is the pinnacle of sports in the U.S. If you want to be lazy, that's fine, but suffer the consequences. How many of us have heard Ted Leonsis complain that teams in the NHL make more money than the Capitals? He accepts it, and tries to improve his product, just like the Arizona's and Detroit's of the world should. F' 'em. I welcome a season with no salary cap. Let's see how that suits them.

Ummm, errrr...../end rant :)

I don't blame the high revenue teams from wanting to hold on to their hard earned revenues. Its the fans money in essence. We support the team of our choice with our dollars. I don't want those dollars going to Cleveland or Arizona.

I think those small market teams that spend less than the cap should have to return any left over money from revenue sharing. That will ensure that the money is actually spend on what its earmarked for.

I don't blame the high revenue teams from wanting to hold on to their hard earned revenues. Its the fans money in essence. We support the team of our choice with our dollars. I don't want those dollars going to Cleveland or Arizona.

I think those small market teams that spend less than the cap should have to return any left over money from revenue sharing. That will ensure that the money is actually spend on what its earmarked for.

Skip my post.....He said what I wanted to, but much more succinctly. :(

There were only a handful of teams that I really didn't like (Dallas, Eagles, Giants, and a couple others) regardless of a deal going through or not I am now adding ALL of the bottom feeding teams who sit way under the cap each year and whose teams suck every year.

We support the team of our choice with our dollars. I don't want those dollars going to Cleveland or Arizona.

That's funny because Cleveland is actually 6th in most revenue. Just goes to show that owners can make good money off a team that is not generally seen as valuable.

The Colts were Super Bowl favorites and they are near the bottom. "Big market" teams like the Giants and Jets are in the bottom half, too - of both revenue and worth.

The Panthers were once the least valuable franchise. Now they are 8th, and they don't even have a big market either.

There are no excuses. It's all up to the owner.

I don't know how everyone else feels about this, but if I was Snyder, Jones, or anyone else that works their butt off to make their franchise marketable, I would not fold and agree to give these sorry franchises a bigger piece of the pie. There are owners that just sit back and collect a paycheck. There are owners that are doing EVERYTHING they can to further their product, and others that just like to sit back and be rich. Why should teams with a loyal and vast fan base simply fold? It eliminates the fan when you do that.

There's a salary cap for a reason. If you can't afford the salary cap, then you are not running a successful business. The NFL is the pinnacle of sports in the U.S. If you want to be lazy, that's fine, but suffer the consequences. How many of us have heard Ted Leonsis complain that teams in the NHL make more money than the Capitals? He accepts it, and tries to improve his product, just like the Arizona's and Detroit's of the world should. F' 'em. I welcome a season with no salary cap. Let's see how that suits them.

Ummm, errrr...../end rant :)

I agree with everything, exept when you say "there is a salery cap for a reason", I don't think it has any place in sports.

Archived