Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All time overrated thread.

Spaceman Spiff

you're the exception, not the rule.

most people that make more money w/ out going to college do so by being hooked up phat by their parents. (not saying you fit that category, but generally is true)

Not only is that incorrect, but insulting. By far, most of the millionaires in this country, are service (and other) business owners. Pick up a copy of

"The Millionaire Next Door"

http://www.albany.edu/~danko/millionaire/netscape.html

"About one in five of us is retired. About two-thirds of us who are working are self-employed. Interestingly, self-employed people make up less than 20 percent of the workers in America but account for two-thirds of the millionaires."

Not only is that incorrect, but insulting. By far, most of the millionaires in this country, are service (and other) business owners. Pick up a copy of

"The Millionaire Next Door"

http://www.albany.edu/~danko/millionaire/netscape.html

"About one in five of us is retired. About two-thirds of us who are working are self-employed. Interestingly, self-employed people make up less than 20 percent of the workers in America but account for two-thirds of the millionaires."

i apologize. i see how that could be insulting, and didn't mean to insult anyone.

i was trying to say that it's more likely to be successful with college. i eat my words.

but isn't that book more about self-employed people than non-college grads? i obviously haven't read it, but from the snippet, that's what it seemed like.

If the goal from college was to just make money then yeah it is pretty overrated. Instead of spending all that money someone would be better off going to a trade school and mastering a marketable skill, or starting at a job where they can easily move up when they are experienced and competent, or just get a decent business idea and start your own business (but that DOES take capital). It also does matter what you do in college. A communication major will have a very hard time making money out of college compared to say engineers. If you do end up going to some sort of professional school like Med or Law then you will likely make A LOT more than someone that does not go to college.

I am speaking of potential though, most of people that forgo college still end up getting paid less, maybe because in today's society most competent people go to college just for college's sake.

College also does other things though. It is really fun, it improves social skills, and overall does an excellent job of educating a student if that person actually tries at all.

i apologize. i see how that could be insulting, and didn't mean to insult anyone.

i was trying to say that it's more likely to be successful with college. i eat my words.

that's probably a true statement. but like my father said, and he never took his own advice, "until you work for yourself, you're just a prostitute" :laugh:

that's probably a true statement. but like my father said, and he never took his own advice, "until you work for yourself, you just a prostitute" :laugh:

i'd love to work for myself.

i could probably net a little more cash painting, which i do one the side.

but man, the insurance. :doh:

i'd love to work for myself.

i could probably net a little more cash painting, which i do one the side.

but man, the insurance. :doh:

??? I have $600,000 liability $450 per year.

Before I turned 18, in Arlington, I mowed lawns, shoveled snow, delivered newspapers, raked leaves, cleaned gutters. I always had money to support my motorcycle habit.

anybody could make $500 cash a day or more just cleaning gutters in a upscale neighborhood.

??? I have $600,000 liability $450 per year.

Before I turned 18, in Arlington, I mowed lawns, shoveled snow, delivered newspapers, raked leaves, cleaned gutters. I always had money to support my motorcycle habit.

anybody could make $500 cash a day or more just cleaning gutters in a upscale neighborhood.

i'm talking health insurance, man.

i'm talking health insurance, man.

at 28? $150/month :whoknows:

but isn't that book more about self-employed people than non-college grads? i obviously haven't read it, but from the snippet, that's what it seemed like.

The book talks allot about service business owners, such as contractors (building, remodelers,plumbers, electricians, roofers, ac, etc....), pest controll, pool service, home alarm protection......the majority of these owners did Not get a college degree, the book emphasizes this point.

But the book is about managing (saving) money. Living below your means. And goes further to say that Most Professionals do NOT save money, especially Doctors. Do not be fooled into thinking that ppl who live in an expensive house are wealthy, because most are not. Yes that

house will go up in value, and if they don't encumber it with 2nd and 3rd mortgages, eventually they will own it.

However, most of these will not move out of that primary residence or downgrade to a smaller home after they retire, so the book instructs you

not to count your primary residence (or your personal property) as net worth, because it is not income producing and will not be a retirement assest. Summery: most ppl are delusional about wealth at the professional level. The reason why 2/3 of the country's Millionaires are self employed persons is because they don't "wear thier money" and live in homes that cost hundreds of thousands of $$$$ below what thier income can afford, and are making investments with the savings.

yea theres plenty of ways to make money in american with out going to school for another 4 years. i have friends who graduated from geroge mason vcu etc...yet im making more then them..

If you went to college you would learn how to spell "George". :D

lol

im a operations mgr for marriot..soon to be an agm

You are an ops manager at age 18?

I am sorry, I know you can make it in the hotel industry young, but my brother works for the Ritz and there is no way at age 18 you are an ops manager

At age 22-25 I would believe it

You are an ops manager at age 18?

I am sorry, I know you can make it in the hotel industry young, but my brother works for the Ritz and there is no way at age 18 you are an ops manager

At age 22-25 I would believe it

I was thinking the same thing, however, a gradeschool friend of mine Bobby

worked at IHOP (marriot owned at that time) from 15yo, finished HS at 16, and was moved to hospitality mgr. at 18. Then sent by marriot to UofMiami

for a degree. He's a high level MGR for them now. so you never can tell,

but what are the odds :rolleyes:

Archived