Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Loverne delivers

Atlanta Skins Fan

Loverne was supposed to rotate with Ross Tucker at LG, but he apparently played the whole game. It was quiet over there at LG -- I never noticed excessive pass rush pressure coming through LG. (Whereas Stai and Moore both let through at least one rusher each.)

Here's this from CPND:

LG grades out high

by Warpath of WarpathInsiders.com, September 9, 2002 at 3:28pm ET

Left guard David Loverne wasn't supposed to play the whole game. But he played well and never left. How well did he do? Loverne received the second highest grade among offensive linemen, behind only right tackle Jon Jansen.

Loverne was our "last thread" saving us from disaster at LG. The early news is that he may be made of high-test fishing line.

Here's to you, Loverne. :cheers:

Now get ready for the Eagles . . . . .

Loverne was very strong and that was nice to see. Quality coaching and identification of potential allowed the Redskins to find a player from the rough here who, for a week, played a very sound football game. A much tougher test is up this week and he needs to continue his steady play. It was nice to see his physical nature coming through against Cards starters after seeing flashes against backups in the preseason.

If he works out over the year, it will have proven an exceptional front office move and a great deal of credit will continue to be sent Helton's way. But, there's a long way to go.

Hey ASF:

How about props to Helton for, apparently, doing a heckuva coaching job getting Loverne ready (and all the other OL'ers ready, too). Given all the abuse heaped on his shoulders by "some" in these parts, it seems like fairness ought to dictate that he gets some props after a really good game by the line. The paved the way for a huge offensive performance and, the biggest mistakes (penalties) were on Jansen and Samuels, hardly anyone that Helton should have to apologize for.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

ASF was giving props to the line by pointing this out, I think. I respect someone who brings up the subject of his own criticism that may subject him to criticism. Loverne and the line did well. Still, needs a bit of improvement. When Arizona was thinking run, there were too many 1-3 yard runs, but a very satisfying start.

Burgold, I'm not sure what you're thinking. Had our line, and specifically Loverne, looked bad against the Cards, we'd have heard how bad Helton was and how Helton failed to get them ready and how Helton is unqualified. That it did an acceptable, though not great, job only gets Loverne mentioned. Monarch is correct. Given that Helton is to blame for every possible thing when things aren't perfect, he needs to be given heaping praise when things are better. It is a legitimate question to ask why Helton's name is so conspicuous by not appearing.

I just thought even bringing up the subject somewhat positively was something like swallowing a bit of pride. Perhaps it was only taking a teaspoon of medicine and not eating the whole humble pie, but it was an effort. Everything takes a first step and for ASF, the Gardner pic and this was a first step, can't expect a man to run a marathon after a near terminal case of Norvitus, can we?

Personally, I was very pleased with most aspects of the game. Concerns were the conspicuous noncalls by referees, the defenses ability to pressure, but not sack the qb, and the inability to get those running first downs when we attempted to burn the clock in the fourth quarter. However, we did enough good that I've been smiling most of the day whenever I think back.

Originally posted by monarch34

Hey ASF:

How about props to Helton for, apparently, doing a heckuva coaching job getting Loverne ready (and all the other OL'ers ready, too). Given all the abuse heaped on his shoulders by "some" in these parts, it seems like fairness ought to dictate that he gets some props after a really good game by the line.

Originally posted by RiggoDrill

Let's not get carried away.

The OL did a great job yesterday, and it's encouraging, but Arizona doesn't really have a fearsome foursome on the DL.

Philly will be the first real test.

Thanks, Riggo -- my thoughts exactly.

I actually posted *before* the Cards game that I thought the line would probably do well (and that I would be blasted for worrying needlessly). The Cards DL sucks. The real test is the Eagles game.

But it's not too early to praise Loverne for what looked like a very good performance. I didn't notice any pass-blocking gaffes by Loverne, nor blown run blocking, nor penalties. It would take a tape review to determine if his performance was dominant or merely good, but it wasn't less than good -- and this from a guy who has *never* played a game with our starting OL. So I'm happy to tip my hat to Loverne.

As for Helton, let's not get into that yet. We can say the line isn't a disaster and in fact played well against the Cards. The Eagles game will be an excellent measure. I'm more confident than I used to be, but I still expect significant trouble against the Eagles. Just not an absolute meltdown.

Originally posted by BallCoachSpurrier

Props to Art for being the first to actually analize the o-line and point out Lavernen's potential even, it seems, before the Skins coaches.

This is true. I'll tip my hat to Art for spotting Loverne first -- apparently ahead of the Redskins, who still weren't confident enough in Loverne to award him the full starting job until he won it by performance in the Cards game.

Art, it's a dubious distinction -- but you may be more qualified to coach the OL than Helton. :laugh:

Well ASF, when you take a looka t the tape i think you'll be elss than thrilled with Loverne's performance in the run game. For the first time ever, you may have been under critical.

When I went back over the tape last night I was stunned by how lost Loverne loked in the run game. The ball would snap, and everyone would pick someone up, Loverne went out to look for a linebacker, a linebacker tackled Davis. Loverne is looking around for someone to hit WHILE davis is being tackled by the guy Loverne should have hit. Seriously guys, he is standing there turning around wondering what he's supposed to be doing while his man is making a tackle. This happened at least twice, and davis did not run there very often.

Check out the tape and if you don't see what i'm talking about, I'll go back and give you the time on the clock of the plays i'm thinking about. It was really bad.

However, the 2 new guys did look excellent in pass protection. They deserve props for that, and while the above is very critical, they were passable. I just think that this team is really really good. These plays highlight the reason we might not make the playoffs, and why we are probably not going to the dance. This level of play IS likely to get us in the playoffs. I just want more.

-DB

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

Check out the tape and if you don't see what i'm talking about, I'll go back and give you the time on the clock of the plays i'm thinking about. It was really bad.

I've still got the game on Tivo. I can check it. If you happen to know about when the plays occurred, I could find them faster -- but don't go to any trouble.

Obviously I was referring mainly to pass protection in my comments. But it's disappointing to hear what you said about run blocking.

I'll be sure to watch his play when I review the game. After watching the first few drives, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. He did miss a block on on the second level that let Davis get tackled on the first drive. Other than that he's been pretty solid including a couple of pancakes, including one on the opening play.

On the play you're talking about DB, which is on the first drive, he looked like he pinched in to take someone else, but, came off two late and made no block at all. On another play on that drive with the play from our 40 or so, he was pushing the safety to around the 48 so he shows good mobility getting into the second level.

I'm sure he missed some assignments. So did Samuels.

For the most part I think he looked pretty good. He had a great block on the Davis TD run and had good pass blocking throughout the game. He seemed to get better as the game went on. Most of the mistakes I noticed were earlier in the game.

For those with Tivo..here are a few plays where he looked kinda lost. Fortunately He had more good plays than bad but here ya go:

11:22 1st Qtr 2nd and 4 (first drive)

12:43 2nd Qtr 4th and 1

12:14 3rd Qtr 1st and 10

Big Will,

I noticed that as well. He looked lost early and kept getting better and better. On the TD run by Davis and the play before, he had great blocks in the secondary taking out linebackers. On the first Bailey fake reverse, he just drove his guy a full five yards off the ball. On the second, he nullified his man and on both plays he was being run over.

What's clear is that the team thinks he can get into the second level on run plays and often he was shooting into the linebackers and safeties to make blocks. For the record, if Loverne plays this precise game all year he's an All Pro. He won't, and he'll have some bad outings. But this was not one of them.

Archived