Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we move Lemar Marshall to the weakside????

boobiemiles

I'm still trying to get over Lavar's departure. I thought a few drinks would do it. No lie I had to smoke a blunt to get my mind off of it (and that wasn't a good idea). The one thing about this team is that every year they do something that keeps me up at night. It's been three years in a row. First it was Champ, then Coles, and now Lavar. To put it clearly I'm getting to old for this sh*t. But maybe there is a method to the madness.

I remeber I was at the barber shop, and I was debating with a Raider's fan (that is the beauty of the NFL, anyone can be a fan of any team no matter where they are), and he raised a great point. He isn't just a fan of the moment either. He was a fanatic like me, watching the line of scrimmage, and not the QB, things like that. He pointed out that the person that impressed him the most was Lemar Marshall. It was on the play that Lemar got beat for the TD by Joey Porter. He said that "Joey Porter caught the ball, but Lemar was stride for stride with him". I went back to the highlights, and he was right. Lemar got beat for the TD, but he was stride for stride with Porter. Porter is no slouch, and he has wheels. With that said do you think that Lemar can play weak side LB?

McCune is suppose to be the heir appearent to the MLB position in my opinion. He is big, stout, and a 27 year old, so he's not a rookie in the sense of age. Plus we kept him on the roster. At the weak side, Lemar can cover, tackle, and blitz. Plus GW won't yank him after one mistake (God don't like ughly), like he did to Lavar.

I think that he can cover like Shawn barber use to. Lemar had 4 int's last year. For those that don't know, the weak side backer, has to cover the flat, TE's or the slot over the middle, and towards the side line. It helps that he can tackle too, and play in space. Lemar demonstrated all those qualities.

I'm still angry at this squad for letting Lavar go. I thought that we traded Champ and that way we would always keep Lavar. I guess with Marcus Washington imerging, and GW becoming a true defensive genius, that #56 had to leave. The only thing that makes me feel like we know what we are doing is Mr. Gibbs.

No way do I go with McCune. Moving Lemar to weakside is a good options but it all depends on if if we can get a better olb or mlb at the right price. Another option might be to fill the holes at de and wr in free agency and then draft the mlb from Maryland (Jackson) to play the middle.......

I think the only way Lemar moves back outside is if we get a really good MLB. That position is key in making all the calls etc. and Lemar did really well there last year. Especially near the end of the year he made some game-changing plays. McCune has been working at the WLB position from what I have heard. He's got all the physical tools to be effective. Maybe it's just better that he not have to worry about anyone but himself out there. As far as the size issue, it's not really a factor like many would have you believe. Both Pierce and Marshall wereundersized but very effective. Williams seems to like MLB's who can cover ground. As long as you get to the right place and are an effective tackler, Williams does not care how big you are. It also helps when we have our big D-line keeping the backers clean and letting them flow to the ball unimpeded.

I think Lemar stays inside unless we make a major signing like Ray Lewis or something. OLB is more the question mark to me.

Marshall's value in the middle is so great because he QBs Williams' complex defense. The Redskins were fortunate that he was able to more than fill Pierce's shoes. I doubt a player from outside the system could step in and be as productive and efficient as Marshall was.

The Redskins are better off keeping Marshall in the middle and moving McCune, Campbell, Clemons, or a FA pickup to the weakside.

I think it all depends on who we can get. We should look at both MLB and OLB, and depending on which one is the best one we can get, either he stays where he is, or moves to OLB. Hes a good fit for OLB, but he also has been QB of the defense, and you dont want to mess with that too much either.

I think Marshall can play outside; he did a solid job there in '04. I think if we have the option of adding a MLB, we will take it. I have read several reports that the 'Skins are interested in moving Lemar, as they feel he is a better fit outside.

A smart player like D'Qwell Jackson would be a solid investment for the team, as he would give us a little more size in the middle, while still meeting the expectation of high intelligence play set by Pierce and Marshall.

On a similar note, I think it is important that we retain Ryan Clark, because he is, IMO, another of the very smart players on the team. Seems like he is always walking up to the LB level to pass on reads and whatnot.

No way do I go with McCune. Moving Lemar to weakside is a good options but it all depends on if if we can get a better olb or mlb at the right price. Another option might be to fill the holes at de and wr in free agency and then draft the mlb from Maryland (Jackson) to play the middle.......

This whole love affair people have with McCune kind of baffles me. I think it started after the Post published his picture last summer. Discussions re McCune usually center around his biceps which makes me question the overall heterosexuality of this board. I saw him at the ARI game, He kind of runs like a duck IMO. I dont think this guy is exactly an heir apparent for a starting spot. More like a fulltime third-stringer. I hope he proves me wrong.

EDIT: I'd feel comfortable with Clemmons there. He really impresses me with his speed. I hope he can cover well.

I'm still trying to get over Lavar's departure. I thought a few drinks would do it. No lie I had to smoke a blunt to get my mind off of it (and that wasn't a good idea).

You smoked a blunt and drank and it didn't help? Sounds like you're going through some serious LA withdrawal problems. And i'm sorry.

Maybe Barrow is still in shape. He knows the system. I think Marshall would be better at the WLB; however, we need a smart Mike and time is against us as the season continues its delays. I wonder if he could still run the defense from the WLB position? I doubt it as he 's not in a position to move everyone if needed.

Good post. Very good for a pothead. ;) JK.

I'm with you on moving Marshall to the weakside. And I've been saying for months that that's what I believe we will do. LA's replacement will be for the middle of the defense.

Keep in mind that Marshall was a safety at Michigan State. He's our best cover backer by far and should never come off the field. The fact that we have a defense where he covers slot receivers just goes to show that he's basically our Derrick Brooks. Unfortunately, DB isn't supposed to be a MLB!

As good as Marshall was last year, he was better in 2004 - even if his stats don't measure up. And he'll be better in 06 on the outside.

I think Marshall can play outside; he did a solid job there in '04. I think if we have the option of adding a MLB, we will take it. I have read several reports that the 'Skins are interested in moving Lemar, as they feel he is a better fit outside.

A smart player like D'Qwell Jackson would be a solid investment for the team, as he would give us a little more size in the middle, while still meeting the expectation of high intelligence play set by Pierce and Marshall.

On a similar note, I think it is important that we retain Ryan Clark, because he is, IMO, another of the very smart players on the team. Seems like he is always walking up to the LB level to pass on reads and whatnot.

Jackson is someone to consider, although I don't think he's really any bigger than Marshall. He is noted for having exceptional understanding of schemes and being a "coach on the field" type. Of course he's also a local product as well.

What is the deal with Cato June? He's a RFA as far I know, but I can't find whether he's been tendered or not and at what level. (I wish free agents got the same treatment as draftees from the media) If he gets the mid level tender he would be worth taking a shot at. He's practically the same guy as Marshall. Former safety, covers well for a linebacker, has good speed, a little undersized. Weighs exactly what Marshall did the year he played the outside, 227 lbs. This would allow us to keep everything else the same for continuity's sake and add an effective player on the outside. The last Indy LB we stole has worked out ok :) .

Marshall side back over and enter Ray Lewis .. that would be sweet !

When you wake up... be sure to apologize to the board for the remarks above. :doh:

We're just not going to know what the plan is until the CBA is resolved. If we immediately start hearing about FA linebackers than rest assured we can assume that the defensive coaching staff believes there is NO LINEBACKER on the staff who can step right into the starting role in either the middle or the WLB.

I kind of like Marshall where he is because he's a good cover guy. Additionally, he didn't seem to be caught out of position to much last year and another offseason of film study might do wonders for him. Finally, he didn't seem to be a weak link at the point of attack... getting caught up in the "trash" of blockers and creating gaping holes for RBs to slash through.

I'd say the only viable alternative on the roster is to shift McCune to the WLB due to his speed and perceived ability to shed blockers. It's where the staff had reportedly been lining him up as the season progressed. Although Khary Campbell is certainly big enough to play either the middle or even weakside in a pinch, I think he lacks the speed or coverage skills and is primarly a backup and special teams ace.

Since we haven't a clue about the two new guys... Sykes or McNeil.... than the future indication we're targeting a FA backer means the FO believes McCune isn't ready to be the starting WLB.

I'm not real happy about LA leaving, infact I had a dream about it and woke up extremely pissed off. However I think D'Qwell Jackson would be great if we could get him in the second round to take over for Marshall and then slide him out to Weak-side. I'd really like to see us save a few bucks and put Clemons or McCune into the line-up, but I haven't seen them in practice so I don't know if that's an option. All I know is I do NOT want Holdman starting again. He proved he couldn't handle that last season.

Good post. Very good for a pothead. ;) JK.

I'm with you on moving Marshall to the weakside. And I've been saying for months that that's what I believe we will do. LA's replacement will be for the middle of the defense.

Keep in mind that Marshall was a safety at Michigan State. He's our best cover backer by far and should never come off the field. The fact that we have a defense where he covers slot receivers just goes to show that he's basically our Derrick Brooks. Unfortunately, DB isn't supposed to be a MLB!

As good as Marshall was last year, he was better in 2004 - even if his stats don't measure up. And he'll be better in 06 on the outside.

Agreed. As for calling the plays, does it necessarily have to be the MLB?

When you wake up... be sure to apologize to the board for the remarks above. :doh:

We're just not going to know what the plan is until the CBA is resolved. If we immediately start hearing about FA linebackers than rest assured we can assume that the defensive coaching staff believes there is NO LINEBACKER on the staff who can step right into the starting role in either the middle or the WLB.

I kind of like Marshall where he is because he's a good cover guy. Additionally, he didn't seem to be caught out of position to much last year and another offseason of film study might do wonders for him. Finally, he didn't seem to be a weak link at the point of attack... getting caught up in the "trash" of blockers and creating gaping holes for RBs to slash through.

I'd say the only viable alternative on the roster is to shift McCune to the WLB due to his speed and perceived ability to shed blockers. It's where the staff had reportedly been lining him up as the season progressed. Although Khary Campbell is certainly big enough to play either the middle or even weakside in a pinch, I think he lacks the speed or coverage skills and is primarly a backup and special teams ace.

Since we haven't a clue about the two new guys... Sykes or McNeil.... than the future indication we're targeting a FA backer means the FO believes McCune isn't ready to be the starting WLB.

Geez .... apologize .. Nahh lighten up .. IM a Redskins Fan also.

Just a crazy thought and I do know the options open to the team

Hail Cskin

Dont need to apologize. The team apparently made an offer for Ray Lewis so I dont see why its so far-fetched, especially now. I dont think it will happen however.

This attitude is exactly what the hell is wrong with these forums these days. Glad you have your "opinion" which is all it really is because like you said no one knows what's going to happen. But just to be safe lets just tell the guy he's dreaming and on top of that lets try to make yourself seem somehow better then him by shooting his idea down or making him feel stupid..

Grow up.

This attitude is exactly what the hell is wrong with these forums these days. Glad you have your "opinion" which is all it really is because like you said no one knows what's going to happen. But just to be safe lets just tell the guy he's dreaming and on top of that lets try to make yourself seem somehow better then him by shooting his idea down or making him feel stupid..

Grow up.

good lookin out dude thanks & HAIL!

Without the presence of a true pass rushing DE, we need to create sacks from the linebacker position through GW's blitz packages. Therefore, unless we pick up a top notch DE, we need to pursue a strong linebacker presence.

I think it is best to let McCune get at least one more season in as a backup. Such a shame that Clemons can get past being a situational player. Perhaps they could use him in the same role as Indy used Robert Mathis last year. Anyways, there are a lot of options out there and now we can spend some money getting the players we want.

Archived