Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

St. Louis Post Dispatch: Skins Interested in Isaac Bruce!

Ricky Ervins

Well, I don't mind being the minority here: I would love to have Bruce!

I mean, we are so close. He is the #2 we are looking for. Very reliable hands, exceptional route running, and not expecting to be the #1. He is getting older, but he is still productive.

I would welcome Bruce, no doubt!

Of course. The will be the same bobblehead fans that cheered when Patten was signed and started calling him General Patten, even though anyone who followed him and knew his stats was not surprised that he stank up FedEx Field before his injury.

Hopefully Gibbs wont make the same mistake twice.

I thought Patten could be reasonably effective, and still do, but I think he's better suited to the #3 role. I don't think it was a mistake to pick up Patten, just maybe a bit too much money. To be pair there is no way you can tell me the problems at #2 WR last year were all on the WR corps. Brunnell almost never looked their way for hatever reason. Patten was open a lot of the time, but it seemed Mark only threw him the ball when it was tight fit.

I thought Patten could be reasonably effective, and still do, but I think he's better suited to the #3 role. I don't think it was a mistake to pick up Patten, just maybe a bit too much money. To be pair there is no way you can tell me the problems at #2 WR last year were all on the WR corps. Brunnell almost never looked their way for hatever reason. Patten was open a lot of the time, but it seemed Mark only threw him the ball when it was tight fit.

thats the isssue. they didnt bring him in as a #3. They brought him in to be a possession receiver and a #2 WR. He has never been effective in that role, either with the Giants or with the Pats and now the trend continues with the Skins.

Bruce would not be an upgrade from Patten. Sure he's better than Thrash, Jacobs, et. al. but we need a #2 WR not another ~#3 receiver.

I think Bruce would be a very good addition. What we need is a "possession" receiver who is reliable. A guy that will cross over the middle to bring coverage up to free Moss deep. No one we have scares anyone. Even though Bruce has lost a few steps, I still think he's a threat and would be a perfect complement to Moss. I see Henry Ellard here as well, but I also see Irving Fryar, who made some big catches for us in a short period of time.

Hail,

H

Martz is the Detoit coach, hence why they want him. Thing is, if Detroit gets him, they are going to have to let a reciever go, or bump one of their decked recieving core into the #4 slot, which I dont think is going to fly. So we could always pick up who Detroit drops as well.

But to have a WR of Bruce's calliber would be nice.

I like Bruce with Patten in the slot. A burner along with two very good route runners would be a solid receiving corps. I would be very excited to see this move at the right price. I think we'd be even better suited with Bruce than we would Eric Moulds... Isaac won't come in with an ego problem and would really fix the hole at WR.

Seriously, who feasible is better than Isaac Bruce at this point? Bruce played great football last season with Torry Holt out with injuries.

Two causes of concern do persist however: he was held very much in check against the NFC East last year (he DNP against the Giants) and missed five games due to injury. BUT, it was the first time since '98 that he missed more than one game in a season.

And to those saying Bruce is a dome player, do your homework... nothing bothers me more than unguided criticism like that on this board. Bruce had more receptions, yards, YPC, twice as many first downs (14 v. 7), and TDs on the road last year in roughly the same amount of time played. He also had an 18.1 YPC on grass last year versus 12.6 on artificial surfaces.

Bruce would be better than any #2 Receiver that the Redskins have right now.....and then some.

But my vote (if i had one) would say "no deal" and open up some more briefcases....lets see who else is gonna be available.....Bruce would be a 2nd tier level WR free agent....perhaps all we will be able to afford :(

The man is 33, and will turn 34 during the season. Plus his number of catches have decrease considerably over the past few seasons. I know Joe wants that Old Air Coryell feel again, but I think we can do better than this guy.

Bruce would be a very good addition to our team for 1-2 years. Several years back, and aging Roy Jefferson was also a very good addition.

Actually, I could see bringing in Bruce and then drafting a WR. Given that a rookie WR is, in most cases, going to be a project, we might look for a somewhat proven commodity that can get us the needed 40-50 catches while doing some grooming. Of course, I'm not convinced that Bruce would give us any marginal improvement over Patten.

Bruce would be a welcome addition, but he isn't someone that really goes across the middle. I felt that last year we didn't have an intermediate receiving threat across the middle. Cooley was the intermediate guy, but he was always along the sidelines.

Bruce is a burner just like Moss, but he always seemed to shy away from contact.

Archived