Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Picking an offseason fight: Black coaches in the NFL

MRMADD

:doh:

First of all, I do not agree with what that guy posted, but based on your other posts and this last one I have to ask, can blacks not be racists towards whites? Are whites the only ones that can be racist?

I did some research, and 28 percent of couches are black, 6 percent of that are head couches. This maybe be a year old or so, but either way, they are recent numbers. For some reason people seem to fail to realize that that logically means that more white coaches are going to be hired since there are more of them out there looking for jobs. The percentage of head coaches is right at where it should be considering the amount of black and white coaches in the NFL. WAY more white coaches get passed over for jobs then black ones... But I understand of you already are in the mindset that everyones a racist and thats why things do not go your way, you wont change your mind...

Of course whites arent the only people that can be racist, but how many NFL owners aren't white? ZERO. So what does that have to do with this?

You're making it out like I'm saying the NFL is the KKK or something. I'm fully aware that is not the case. You just have to be really naive if you don't think racism still exists to some degree in league offices. I don't even think RACE is as big of a deal as it is the OLD BOY NETWORK when it comes to coaching.

BTW, I'm white.

Does not matter if you are white or not, the argument is still the same. If you can give me proof, doesnt have to be 100 percent, but just something that would make me doubt, I will go along with what you are saying. I have never seen anything done that would make me think that anyone there is a racist. It is just percentages. When percentages are lower, the people that are in the higher percentage are going to get more of whatever we would be talking about. Just saw your edit. I think I would agree with the old boy part, depending on how you define that. But I still do not think there is racism everywhere. It is still around unfortunitly, but not nearly as much and not everywhere.

Enough about racial equality. 10% of the US population is black. That translates to 4 NFL head coaches for even percentage. We have more than that. What we DONT have is hispanic coaches. What, hispanics arent smart enough?

its all just stupid. These are almost-billionaire owners, they care about money, not about the color of the skin of the coach, considering most of their players are black anyway.

Replies to a few posts on the thread...

One: The rule doesn't say "black coach", it says "minority candidate". Norm Chow would be an example of a minority candidate for a head coaching position in the future who isn't black. In fact, I'm astounded that he isn't considered a head coach candidate now.

Two: There is no "charity" going on here. The NFL is only asking that minority candidates get an opportunity, in the form of an interview. If after the interview the owner feels a white candidate is more qualified, he is completely within his rights to give that white coach the job. The rule is in place merely so minorities get their foot in the door.

Three: You don't have to hate blacks (or any minorities) to be racist. If you don't think blacks have the mental capacity to be a head football coach, you won't give them an opportunity to interview and prove themselves. This doesn't mean you won't have black players, and it doesn't mean you won't have black positional coaches (or even black friends), but it does put blacks at a disadvantage in the search for head coaching positions. And obviously, do to the dearth of black head coaches, some owners feel this way.

Four: A coach interviewing for a head coaching spot, even if it is a token interview, is not just getting an interivew with the team in question - he is also gaining experience with the process. A good example is Romeo Crennel, who went in for his first coaching interview but, it has been reported, he was unprepared for the process and didn't get the job. Whether he would have gotten the job if he interviewed well is unimportant - what is important is that he familiarized himself with the process and so when the Browns came calling, he blew them away with his interview and won the job. THAT is why black coaches should interview for head coaching vacancies even if they think they aren't going to get the job.

The amount of talk and controversy the Rooney Rule has started is pretty funny to me, because the real problem is coaching disparity is in college football, not the NFL. College presidents have to appease the wealthy alumni, and a lot of them don't want to see a dark-skinned guy pacing the sidelines. The NFL doesn't have this problem -- it's the college football coaching landscape that looks the bleakest and could use the most prodding.

I do? Well, let's look at yield. What percentage of assistant coaches in the NFL are black? I don't know, but I'm willing to guess, just based on glancing at coaching staffs during games, that it's not much more than 20%. Probably a lot less.

So if the pool of qualified candidates is restricted to assistant coaches in the NFL, you'd expect that 20% of head coaches would be black. That's 6 head coaches, right? Well... there are seven black head coaches now.

The better question is how many of the very best assistant coaches are black? Would you overlook Gregg Williams, for example, just to hire a black coach?

greg williams isnt a good HC he is a DC at best,now why did it take romeo crennel over 20 yrs to get a HC job?williams bombed at buffalo.

The most qualified person should get the job. When the Bengles had thair heart set on Marvin Lewis were they forced to interview whiteskinned coaches? If I was a black canidate I wouldn't want to be brought in for an interview if the owner had already in his mind picked the next coach. I feel like all this equal rights crap is charity and it's outdated. If my team needed a new coach I would want them to hire the most qualified person for the job who cares if he is black or white.
outdated?tell that to those who lived through jim crow and the dark days of segregation where blacks were lynched for no other reason but for the color of their skin.tell that to emmitt till who was killed by white men for allegedly whistling at a white woman,if you dont study the past,you may repeat history in the future.

You can not keep haning on to the past. There is enough to worry about in the future. By your logic, any German should be doing whatever they can to help any Jew. Same goes with any other situation like that, and there are many of them. So why does this get any more special warrent?

Archived