Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Oscar Thread

Cdowwe

I thought Jon Stewart did a pretty good job overall. He got in several funny lines.

One of the highlights of the night was the film-noir montage, which was introduced by Lauren Bacall. That montage featured several of my favorite films such as "Gun Crazy," "Out of the Past," "This Gun for Hire", "The Big Sleep," and "The Maltese Falcon."

I also enjoyed the campaign spoofs for the best actress category. One of them was a take-off of the Swift Boat ad.

The night's biggest lowlight was the selection of "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" for best song. The song from "Crash" should have won the Oscar. I know people will disagree, but I think hip-hop/rap is not music.

The night's biggest lowlight was the selection of "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" for best song. The song from "Crash" should have won the Oscar. I know people will disagree, but I think hip-hop/rap is not music.

Come on dude. I thought the song sucked too, but the acceptance speech was hysterical, and jon stewart's jokes about three six mafia were hysterical. Basically, the aftermath was great.

And neither of the other songs were particularly good, and the academy awards are pretty much a big joke. So, you can't take it all that seriously like some injustice was done. Three Six Mafia was the most entertaining part of the broadcast by far.

I watched a few of the hotties show up beforehand, then read Shelby Foote's Volume 7 epic of the Civil War.

My condolences to Winslowal for him losing Brokeback Shepherds :doh:

Nice to see Hollywood gets to have the "racism" versus "gay" crowd argument now.. :laugh:

Did you hear? Racism is the new gay. ;)

I watched a few of the hotties show up beforehand, then read Shelby Foote's Volume 7 epic of the Civil War.

My condolences to Winslowal for him losing Brokeback Shepherds :doh:

Nice to see Hollywood gets to have the "racism" versus "gay" crowd argument now.. :laugh:

Ahh Shelby is a good writer, and thanks for trying to impress us by attempting to read a book. I know they must be really hard for you, with the pages and the complete sentances and the lack of emoticons :).

Brokeback Shepherds? I don't get it. Wasn't the original title Brokeback Air Farce, but they had to change the it due to recruitment purposes? Everyone knows you flyboys are the gayest of the armed forces ;).

Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

And it is nice to see 5 best picture nominations that actually deserved to be best picture. Any one of those movies deserved to win. It is nice to see Hollywood show that racism is no different than homophobia, and I salute the academy for staying "out of touch" with "the heartland". Great speech George.

It is nice to see Hollywood show that racism is no different than homophobia, and I salute the academy for staying "out of touch" with "the heartland". Great speech George.

Racism is different from homophobia...so I guess Hollywood is wrong?

Being racist means youre prejudice becuase think youre superior, homophobia on the other hand means you dislike or fear gays. I dont dislike gays because I think Im superior to them.

i'm glad crash won. that was a great movie. i wish the weather man was nominated for something. i liked that one too.

why is it that comedies and horror movies don't have catagories? some great flicks come from those two genres.

oh, i have a confession to make. i haven't seen brokeback mountain and i never plan on seeing it. it's not because i hate gays. in fact, i have nothing against gay people.... i just hate cowboys.

Well, it is difficult to explain the Crash upset over Brokeback Mountain. Brokeback won every single award for best pic up to then. The Writers Guild Award, the Producers Guild Award, the Directors Guild Award, the Baftas, the BFCAs, the Golden Globes, almost all the critics awards, great critical acclaim all around, as opposed to very mixed reviews for Crash and no serious critical acclaim. Crash was so heavy handed about its subject matter whereas Brokeback was more of a story without a lecture. Ang Lee is a very great director and Brokeback was a superior movie all around (screenplay, acting, cinematography, editing - despite its editing snub by the Academy, score, directing) regardless of its subject matter. While Crash had some very good moments it is simply not in the same league as a film as Brokeback Mountain. I do think that people have a problem with a movie that depicts gay men as normal human beings suffering discrimination as opposed to awarding the wonderful Phillip Seymour Hoffman the Oscar for portraying a gay man who fits all the negative stereotypes that society has long held about gays.

As progressive as Hollywood likes to think it is, there are many people out there who are very uncomfortable with a movie as honest as Brokeback - there's a reason why no leading male actor can come out of the closet and still keep his career.

Archived