Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Well, Looks like Inmate was right...

fdarugar

I like Clark much better than Archuleta, who I don't like at all as a safety. He's been living off of his rep for a while now. Besides, Clark is a Redskin through and through and I'd like to see us keep him as a starter and reward his loyalty.

Doesn't matter anyway because we're not going to be able to sign anyone because of the CBA, or lack thereof.

Well, I have a hard time believing that a St. Louis paper has any kind of inside info on our intentions. For all we know, this could be another reporter who just assumes we will go after someone because they happen to be a free agent ala Terrell Owens.

If it's true, Archuleta is an interesting player. He's a good bit bigger and more talented than Clark. I'm sure he's just as smart and there's no doubt that he's 100% football and a team player. He's also a terrific blitzer which is something that Williams could really take advantage of. About the only thing he'd be giving up to Clark is agility and cover-ability. I have a feeling he'd be about twice as expensive though.

Here's a scouting report:

S Adam Archuleta

(5-11 7/8, 210, 4.6e) Arizona State

Notes: Played defensive back and running back in high school. Redshirted in 1996 after walking on. Lettered in ’97. Aside from the ’99 opener, when he had a hamstring injury, he has started every game at linebacker over the last three years. All-Pacific-10 in ’99 and 2000. Pro Football Weekly and Gannett All-American in 2000. Had 75 stops, 18 for loss and five sacks in ’98; 111 stops, 21 for loss, five sacks, three passes broken up and an interception in ’99; and 119 stops, 14 for loss, three sacks, four passes broken up and an interception in 2000. Bench-pressed 225 pounds 31 times at the Combine.

Positives: Terrific football player with a great motor. All-time competitor. Flies around and makes plays all over the field. Tenacious, active and very determined. Very instinctive and aware. Reads and anticipates extremely well. Seems to be going in the right direction as the ball is snapped. Showed he could play safety at the Senior Bowl. Should be a top special-teams player while he learns the finer points of playing safety. Very strong for his size.

Negatives: Does not have the size or growth potential to ever be an every-down linebacker in the NFL. Will be moved to safety and does not have much experience there. Does not have the speed or athleticism Darren Woodson (ASU linebacker who the Cowboys picked as a strong safety in ’92) had when he came out of college. May have to play close to the line of scrimmage to be effective as a strong safety.

Summary: Two former undersized ASU linebackers, Woodson and the Cardinals’ Pat Tillman, are starting safeties in the NFL, and Archuleta may have been the best college football player of the trio. He does not have Woodson’s size or ability, but he is a better athlete and faster than Tillman.

Archuletta is not a playmaker at all... at least his play hasnt said so...

not worth the money he would want... re-sign Clark

I agree, I think we should re-sign Clark...i feel like he's proven himself, although he is a bit small for a SS he can hit like a freight train...

Plus, he and ST have great chemistry...and most of all...he wants to be here!

:point2sky

Well, if true I think this could be very bad news.

Why wouldn't we just re-sign Clark?

Perhaps we will sign both, because there's a good chance Taylor won't be here next year???

Just a thought

yeah i agree in that it'd be better if we just re-signed Clark but IMO we're not signing both b/c Taylor is going to be released on bail as all other athletes are (plus this is his first offense)

Archuleta strikes me as a big name, but I think Clark may be the better fit for us. Clark is a vicious hitter as well, folks need to remember.

I totally agree.

I want to see an infusion of young, talented blood on this team to back up

our starters. NOT the same/o/same/o influx of has beens or never were's.

Hmmm . . . interesting idea. Arch is a hitter, I believe he played linebacker in college and then moved to safety. I have noticed that he doesn't do as well as Clark in coverage.

If the Skins can still address other needs in free agency and pick him up, I'm for it. The Skins can resign Clark to play in passing situations and swap the two as needed.

Archived