Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting NFL QB's that Ramsey would be better than

Byner21

Boller and Harrington are the only ones I could maybe see him starting over right now. Heck, even Boller is iffy, considering how much the Ravens have invested in him.

He may be better than some of the other qbs listed, but you have to take into account how young the qbs are and what the team's plans qb wise. I mean, the 49ers certainly aren't going to bench Smith for Ramsey.

Ramsey is better than any QB in Miami, Chicago, Oakland, or Cleveland. Detroit too. Sorry, but Harrington has a nice core of receivers (except Mike "The Bust" Williams) and could have performed better than he did. I would also take Ramsey over Chad "The Touch" Pennington.

Is Ramsey better than the following?:

Kyle Boller YES

Alex Smith NO

Ken Dorsey YES

Joey Harrington NO

Rex Grossman NO

Kyle Orton NO

JP Losman NO

David Carr NO

Gus Frerotte YES

Charlie Frye MAYBE

Kerry Collins MAYBE

Aaron Brooks YES

Drew Bledsoe MAYBE

Jeff Garcia MAYBE

If you took Ramsey and all the above QBs, put them in a bag, beat them with a stick and threw it off a bridge, the game of football would not really notice the difference. I think they are all essentially the same second-rate QB.

Aaron I can't win a game Brooks needs to be taken off the list? He was benched for God's sake. Too inconsistent, way too inconsistent. Sometimes I don't think people watch football. I spent almost 4 yrs being subjected to Saints football and I can assure you he's not that good.

While it may be true that he hasn't had a QB rating over 80 the last 2 seasons, his teams haven't won and he thows more picks than TDs, his overall rating in Madden is much better than Patrick Ramsey's so he must be better.

Ramsey>Kyle Boller

Ramsey<Alex Smith (Smith is young so we can't hold last year against him)

Ramsey>Ken Dorsey

Ramsey=Joey Harrington (Harrington has failed, but still has talent)

Ramsey>Rex Grossman (Grossman is however, better for the 4 games he plays each year)

Ramsey>Kyle Orton (but Orton was impressive given his situation last year)

Ramsey<JP Losman (based solely on watching them play at Tulane)

Ramsey<<<David Carr (Carr has been mildly successful with an O-line far worse than anything Ramsey ever saw)

Ramsey>>>Gus Frerotte (the guy ran head first into a concrete wall, is that the brain you want leading your team?)

Ramsey?Charlie Frye (Don't know enough about Frye)

Ramsey>Kerry Collins (Collins is on his last legs and those legs might get broken if he repeats any of the comments he had in Carolina)

Corn on the Cob>Aaron Brooks (the guy has skills, but he is a horrible leader, a horrible decision maker, and he just flat out loses ball games)

Ramsey<Drew Bledsoe (I hate to say it, but Bledsoe has been doing it for years. Ramsey is far younger though so I would still take Ramsey for the long hual)

Ramsey=Jeff Garcia (different styles but Garcia makes plays, and is a more experienced leader)

Ramsey<Brunell (According to the coaches.)

Any questions?

Here is something to consider - this was a post made before last season comparing PR and his supporting cast and the other young QB's in the league. Please notice that the #'s only got worse this season for the QB's used in the comparison. If you desire I think you could include the others QB's on the list used in this tread and the picture is only looks better.

Harrington

Games/TD's/Int's/rating

46 48 50 67

Harrington has been given the undisputed starting job with a team built around him. Starting receivers Charlie Rodgers, Roy Williams last year with the addition of Mike Williams this year. He also has had a good o-line along with RB Kevin Jones last year. O-by-the-way, he has a record of 14-34 as a starter.

Boller

Games/TD's/Int's/Rating

27 20 20 68

Carr

Games/TD's/Int's/Rating

44 34 42 72

Recievers - Andre Johnson, Jabar Graffney, Cory Bradford

Palmer

Games/TD's/Int's/Rating

13 18 18 77

Receivers - Houshmandzadeh, Chad Johnson, P. Warrick

Ramsey

Games/TD's/Int's/Rating

30 33 28 74

Receivers overs 3 years - Coles (toe), Gardner (50/50), Jacobs, McCants (sometimes), Thrash (castoff from the Eagles), Kevin Lockett, Jacquez Green, Chris Doering and Derrius Thompson,etc.......

Offensive line play in 2002 & 2003 very poor.

FYI -

Troy Aikman (1st 3 years)

Games/TD's/Int's/Rating/Super Bowl wins

38 31 46 70 3

John Elway (1st 3 years)

GamesTD's/Int's/Rating/Super bowl wins

42 47 52 67 2

Is Ramsey better than the following?:

Kyle Boller YES

Alex Smith NO

Ken Dorsey YES

Joey Harrington NO

Rex Grossman NO

Kyle Orton NO

JP Losman NO

David Carr NO

Gus Frerotte YES

Charlie Frye MAYBE

Kerry Collins MAYBE

Aaron Brooks YES

Drew Bledsoe MAYBE

Jeff Garcia MAYBE

If you took Ramsey and all the above QBs' date=' put them in a bag, beat them with a stick and threw it off a bridge, the game of football would not really notice the difference. I think they are all essentially the same second-rate QB.[/quote']

I'll try and do an update on these QB's last 3yr #'s and maybe that will kinda tell the story.

I'll try and do an update on these QB's last 3yr #'s and maybe that will kinda tell the story.

I think it largely depends on what you want out of the QB position.

I would rather start Smith right now over Ramsey just because he is such an unknown and that team is not going to the playoffs anyway. You need to find out what you have in Smith sooner rather than later. Plugging in Ramsey to win 6 or 7 games does nothing for your future out there.

I know people here have some strange affection for the guy - mainly because Spurrier turned him into a tackling dummy. But I try to look at it unemotionally. I think he is the same QB as Boller, just with a stronger arm. Both have talent. Both hold onto the ball way way too long. Both throw insanely bad picks. You could argue that both have been snake-bitten to some degree. But I don't think either are capable of leading any team to more than 9 wins. And that would have to be a pretty good team at that.

I think it largely depends on what you want out of the QB position.

I would rather start Smith right now over Ramsey just because he is such an unknown and that team is not going to the playoffs anyway. You need to find out what you have in Smith sooner rather than later. Plugging in Ramsey to win 6 or 7 games does nothing for your future out there.

I know people here have some strange affection for the guy - mainly because Spurrier turned him into a tackling dummy. But I try to look at it unemotionally. I think he is the same QB as Boller' date=' just with a stronger arm. Both have talent. Both hold onto the ball way way too long. Both throw insanely bad picks. You could argue that both have been snake-bitten to some degree. But I don't think either are capable of leading any team to more than 9 wins. And that would have to be a pretty good team at that.[/quote']

i agree good point

Kyle Boller -- Boller is terrible. But the Ravens are only going to give up on him if a proven vet comes along.

Alex Smith/Ken Dorsey -- Smith and fellow first rounder Aaron Rodgers look like little boys to me. I would bet that both are going to be complete busts. That said, there's no way in hell the 49ers give up on him after one year.

Joey Harrington -- another qb I think Ramsey is better than. But the Lions have too much invested in him to bench him for a question mark like Ramsey.

Rex Grossman/Kyle Orton -- Grossman, if he can stay healthy, could turn into a stud.

JP Losman -- too young with too much potential to be benched for Ramsey.

David Carr -- overrated if you ask me. But the Texans just gave him a eight million dollar roster bonus. They're not going to bench him for Ramsey.

Gus Frerotte -- I think they're very similar players. Ramsey would just be another qb in the mix in Miami, not the clear-cut starter.

Charlie Frye -- showed a lot last year. Would start over Ramsey because of that.

and maybe...

Kerry Collins -- depends on the situation. Taking age out of the equation, I think Collins is better.

Aaron Brooks -- the black Brett Favre (Favre of now that is). Loads of talent, but makes a lot of bad decisions. You know who else does that? Patrick Ramsey.

Drew Bledsoe -- Bledsoe is clearly the better player right now.

Who knows what the future holds for Ramsey? But I don't think he's the kind of qb anyone is getting excited over right now. The lack of demand for him proves that.

i agree good point

My problem with the whole Ramsey is a pick machine is that the numbers just don't show that is being the case. Yes, he has thrown some untimely picks. However, you show me any great QB that hasn 't thrown his share of untimely picks and I will go away. PR's int/attemp # is good, his TD/int ratio is very good for a young QB, remember 3 of the picks came on hail merry's at the end of games/half when Spurrier had him in for 1 play. Yes, I agree that he needs improvement - that comes with experience. I would like to see him at least get a legit shot at QB with someone, if for no other reason it would finally allow me to stop this crazy support for PR that I can't seem to shake.

My problem with the whole Ramsey is a pick machine is that the numbers just don't show that is being the case. Yes, he has thrown some untimely picks. However, you show me any great QB that hasn 't thrown his share of untimely picks and I will go away. PR's int/attemp # is good, his TD/int ratio is very good for a young QB, remember 3 of the picks came on hail merry's at the end of games/half when Spurrier had him in for 1 play. Yes, I agree that he needs improvement - that comes with experience. I would like to see him at least get a legit shot at QB with someone, if for no other reason it would finally allow me to stop this crazy support for PR that I can't seem to shake.

He's thrown 29 picks in 24 career starts, which is rather high. The other problem is he tends to throw them in bunches. He has 8 games with multiple interceptions. To me, that says that 1 out of 3 times, Ramsey is going to put your team in a very very difficult situation.

What may be more alarming is that he has fumbled the ball 25 times in 24 starts including 5 multiple fumble games.

5 multiple fumble games and 8 multiple interception games is hard to defend in just 33 career games.

Archived