Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Woah, PFT claims Portis has restructured...

fdarugar

SKINS CLEAR SOME CAP ROOM

At a time when the Washington Redskins are facing a potential salary purge that, by some estimates, could leave them with roughly 25 veterans under contract, we're told that the team has restructured the deal of running back Clinton Portis in order to create some cap room.

Specifically, a sizeable roster bonus owed to Portis has been converted to a guaranteed payment, which spreads the total value of the money over four years. Portis' contract expressly authorized the team to make the move.

Meanwhile, the thinking is that all non-core Redskins players making more than the minimum salary for 2006 will be jettisoned by midnight Thursday in order to enable the team to get under the salary cap, which is expected to be in the range of $95 million, if the CBA is not extended. (The teams still haven't received the official numbers from the league office, due to the state of flux regarding the CBA talks.)

One guy pegged for a release likely won't be cut loose just yet. Linebacker LaVar Arrington has a huge cap number for 2006 -- but the cap charge will be even bigger if he's released. With a $6.5 million roster bonus not due until July, the team can hang onto him for now and then cut the cord as the deadline for coughing up the money approaches.

Even if a new CBA is done, look for the 'Skins to keep him around until the eve of the deadline for paying the bonus, since doing so would keep him from getting a taste of the big money that flows on the open market in the early stages of free agency.

If it happens that way, Arrington can thank his agents for giving the 'Skins the motivation to stick it to him on his way out the door. After his current contract was signed in December 2003, Arrington's agents filed a grievance claiming that the team fraudulently removed from the final draft of the contract a second $6.5 million roster bonus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill

980 said when announcing Burnell's restructure that the Skins are saying they have already made a bunch of restructures but won't disclose the info until they know what the final cap number will be. Seems like they already have most of their restructuring done just haven't announced any of them yet.

980 said when announcing Burnell's restructure that the Skins are saying they have already made a bunch of restructures but won't disclose the info until they know what the final cap number will be. Seems like they already have most of their restructuring done just haven't announced any of them yet.

I suspect some of the restructures might be contingent on what the final cap # is.

If Clayton's 109 cap figure for the Skins is correct, then a 96 mil cap is much more doable than the 92 mil cap ceiling.

Sorry, on edge much? Just relaying the info...

Not remotely. You seem overly sensitive though. If you were paying attention, you'd realize that my post was directed to the replies below yours, granting credit to Portis for agreeing to a restructure. I simply pointed out that the PFT rumor specifically says that the contract was written such that the restructure was at the discretion of the Redskins.

Not remotely. You seem overly sensitive though. If you were paying attention, you'd realize that my post was directed to the replies below yours, granting credit to Portis for agreeing to a restructure. I simply pointed out that the PFT rumor specifically says that the contract was written such that the restructure was at the discretion of the Redskins.

Ok got you...

A few players must have restructured because we were 25 million over and espn news just had us at 17 over. Not hearing any names mentioned anywhere besides Brunell.

I don't think that article took the restructs into consideration because the Redskins are not making any of this knowledge public...the only reason we found out about Mark was because WP wrote something incorrect.

Archived