Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where did all this faith in Dan Synder come from?

Winslowalrob

I like Snyder and all, but one good year does not a franchise make. He bought out one of the biggest market teams with one of the largest national fanbases, and its not like he ressurected a Redskin team on the verge of being moved to Jacksonville. He is a savvy businessman, and he has bills to pay, but 2 or 3 years ago I would certainly not have "had his back" concerning the CBA. Now he is the finest owner that ever walked the earth? There is a fundmental difference between running a regular business and being a team owner; the latter does not have typical shareholders. If one were to judge a football team, do you look at profits or wins? I am not arguing for which is a better indicator, but if anyone chose the latter then Snyder has been a terrible owner, though not for the lack of trying. Perhaps in a perfect market, there would be no wins or losses in the NFL, and teams were judged solely on revenue, at which point the people that decry revenue sharing might have a point. Last time I checked the NFL was not a perfect market, and the stock that fans can by is the victories their teams earn. Rant over, just keep stuff in perspective guys. I hope the league does not suffer because of this.

Rant over, just keep stuff in perspective guys. I hope the league does not suffer because of this.

Keep stuff in perspective? You mean say, trying his damndest to build a winning team around five different coaches, each with his own idea of how personell should be hired? Or the fact that he will try and do absolutely everything possible to try and make the experience for the players as best as possible for them (catered plane rides by Mortons anyone?), or say addressing the public's concerns such as oh, lack of port a johns in the parking lots....you mean that kind of perspective?

Dan Snyder is a fan of the redskins...remember, he followed them in his childhood and such. You may want to keep that in perspective before posting drivel like this.

I don't know if you're a real football junkie (listen to all the sports talk radio shows, read all the papers, web sites, and such)

but if you are, then you would know how much everyone else hates him and how much bandwagon hate he gets

I give dude benefit of the doubt, I truley believe he wants this team to keep winning just as much as I do

You don't hafta reply to drivel :).

Sure you do. Especially when you don't realize how spoiled rotten we are. We could be forever in NFL purgatory with owners like Bidwell who won't spend a dime, or Modell who will up and steal our beloved franchise in the middle of the night.

For all of Snyder's past mistakes, he learns from them and doesn't make the same mistake twice. He is doing everything under the sun he possibly can to rebuild the Redskins glory and storied tradition. He brought back COACH JOE JACKSON GIBBS and he bows to every whim of the Hall of Fame Coach.

And your problem is what exactly?

Keep stuff in perspective? You mean say, trying his damndest to build a winning team around five different coaches, each with his own idea of how personell should be hired? Or the fact that he will try and do absolutely everything possible to try and make the experience for the players as best as possible for them (catered plane rides by Mortons anyone?), or say addressing the public's concerns such as oh, lack of port a johns in the parking lots....you mean that kind of perspective?

Dan Snyder is a fan of the redskins...remember, he followed them in his childhood and such. You may want to keep that in perspective before posting drivel like this.

Nicely posted. :applause:

If one were to judge a football team, do you look at profits or wins? I am not arguing for which is a better indicator, but if anyone chose the latter then Snyder has been a terrible owner, though not for the lack of trying.

You don't necessarily judge an owner by wins and losses like you do a coach. You judge his actions. Now his actions have not always resulted in success but you would be hard pressed to argue that he hasn't tried his hardest to win at every turn. Snyder has made more than his fair share of mistakes since he got here but as we sit here in 2006 I am damn happy he is the owner of the Washington Redskins (and just as happy he is not the owner of the Dallas Cowboys.)

I was just trying to point that out. But I am a spoiled rotten poster who shoves drivel on the board...

I figured. I mean, so many people were crucifying Gibbs last season wondering if he didn't have IT anymore. Now that we're in the playoffs he's the supreme genius who can never be wrong. Fans just love the highs and the lows...what can I say?

You don't necessarily judge an owner by wins and losses like you do a coach. You judge his actions. Now his actions have not always resulted in success but you would be hard pressed to argue that he hasn't tried his hardest to win at every turn. Snyder has made more than his fair share of mistakes since he got here but as we sit here in 2006 I am damn happy he is the owner of the Washington Redskins (and just as happy he is not the owner of the Dallas Cowboys.)

Then is an owner a CEO in the typical sense? I am playing a little devil's advocate to get the "kapitalism is king" people to realize there are differences between the NFL model and the stuff they were talking about.

Then is an owner a CEO in the typical sense? I am playing a little devil's advocate to get the "kapitalism is king" people to realize there are differences between the NFL model and the stuff they were talking about.

My problem with what you are saying is that you seem to be implying that all Snyder cares about is making money. Snyder screws with the fans in a lot of little ways but he gives Redskins fans the #1 asset that I look for in an owner. He wants to win and isn't afraid to open his pocket book to do it. In fact he is always looking for inventive ways to get around the salary cap.

And by the way, calling him "Synder" tells me all I need to know about your agenda.

Here is a list of Snyder's "Sins" since he took over:

1. (1999) Fired Charlie Casserly--Casserly well respected around NFL circles but IMO he was the worst GM in the history of the franchise.

2. (2000) Went on franchise football spending spree that netted a bunch of over the hill ex-stars and cost the team Brian Mitchell & Darrell Green. This is the biggest sin IMO.

3. (2000) Fired Norv Turner with 3 games left in the season. Team in the midst of common second half collapse under Norv. Norval needed to go.

4. (2001) Fired Marty Schottenheimer after one season because Marty wouldn't let Danny know what was going on. Marty currently in hot water in SD for a similar reason.

5. (2002-2003) Hired college coach with no NFL experience and allowed him to run team into the ground. Catches a lot of grief in retrospect but at the time this was lauded as a great hire.

6. (2004) Hired one of the greatest (if not the greatest) coaches in NFL history to bring the team back to prominence.

Here is a list of Snyder's "Sins" since he took over:

1. (1999) Fired Charlie Casserly--Casserly well respected around NFL circles but IMO he was the worst GM in the history of the franchise.

2. (2000) Went on franchise football spending spree that netted a bunch of over the hill ex-stars and cost the team Brian Mitchell & Darrell Green. This is the biggest sin IMO.

3. (2000) Fired Norv Turner with 3 games left in the season. Team in the midst of common second half collapse under Norv. Norval needed to go.

4. (2001) Fired Marty Schottenheimer after one season because Marty wouldn't let Danny know what was going on. Marty currently in hot water in SD for a similar reason.

5. (2002-2003) Hired college coach with no NFL experience and allowed him to run team into the ground. Catches a lot of grief in retrospect but at the time this was lauded as a great hire.

6. (2004) Hired one of the greatest (if not the greatest) coaches in NFL history to bring the team back to prominence.

green left after spurriers first season

green left after spurriers first season

I meant it cost him his starting spot.

I still think the signing of Deion was the biggest cause for the team's failure that year. Darrell Green and Brian Mitchell were two of the biggest lockerroom presences and all of a sudden Mitchell is gone and Green's starting position is gone as well as much of his influence.

Amazing what hiring Joe Gibbs can do for ones public image. Especially when you also name him President and basically defer all football related decisions to him and his staff. ESPECIALLY when your one and only football related contribution is spending money to allow Coach Gibbs the freedom to guide the team as he sees fit. ESPECIALLY SQUARED when you hire the staff Gibbs asks for and pay them 4-5 times the market rate for assistant coaches.

I dunno, seems like Danny has turned a corner. Im glad he did.

Archived