Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike & Mike - Ramsey to Jets for a 6th(Merged)

frommd

Clayton is a pretty good analyst. He's never shown any animosity towards the Redskins, so I suspect if he says a 6th is what we're looking at that's probably right. The problem is that there are going to be a lot of QBs on the market this year, and a lot of them have better resumes than Ramsey. Too bad, because I think Ramsey's a decent player and we should have been able to get a 3rd or so for him. Now it doesn't look that way.

I agree Henry, John Clayton to me is the Peter Gammons of the NFL. I believe every word he says.

Whatever it is, the first offer will probably be the best offer. Ramsey needs to move now and spend his offseason with his new team. He has maximum value now.

Ramsey does not have the experience needed to show up someplace in July and have a good year. If some playoff-hopeful team needs him to replace an injured starter that's just too bad. Giving up a big pick for Ramsey will not solve their problem and get them to the playoffs. So they won't do it. They'll either pick up a grizzled veteran to lead their team or they'll go with whatever kid they've got left. At least he'll have worked with the coaches and the team.

I think a 6th might be the going rate right now for Ramsey with all the other QBs that can be had. If you line up the available and potentially available QBs, Ramsey is not high on the list:

Brees

Culpepper

Griese

Ramsey

Brooks

Pennington

I might be missing some, but Ramsey is in the middle of this pack, in my opinion, but GMs might like Brooks more just because of his experience.

Hail,

H

Said he thinks the best we will get for Ramsey is a 6th rounder. Hope he's wrong on this.

Also, said we are doing everything possible to get Campbell ready to start the opener, but we may start Brunell and have Campbell start as the backup.

Keep him! A sixth-rounder is almost a UDFA. What's the point unless he's a locker-room cancer, which I don't think he is.

Thats surprising.

On WTEM sportstalk 980

They are saying that Ramsey vould be traded to the Buffalo Bills for a 4th rounder next sportstalk break at 1130 am

By the way not our local talking heads but the guy on the sportscenter break on WTEM

Funny how now a 4th-rounder sounds pretty good!

It's so weird, because wouldn't you love to draft an experienced NFL qb with solid upside?

I think a 6th might be the going rate right now for Ramsey with all the other QBs that can be had. If you line up the available and potentially available QBs, Ramsey is low on the list:

Brees

Culpepper

Griese

Ramsey

Brooks

Pennington

I might be missing some, but Ramsey is in the middle of this pack, in my opinion, but GMs might like Brooks more just because of his experience.

Hail,

H

Brees-Surgery (who knows how he's going to recover, Pennington type recovery?)

Culpepper (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/271158.html, if that story is true, I don't see him going anywhere)

Griese (he's had his moments, can't knock him)

Ramsey (he's had rare moments, still young, no injuries)

Brooks (he's had his moments as well, but extremely inconsistient)

Pennington (LOL, after his surgery been horrible, no strength left in his arm)

I don't think Ramsey is so bad off in this scenario, but that's probably why I don't hold a job for an NFL team.:laugh:

So was he worth a first round pick? "Admirable" is all relative. He won a lot of people over during Spurrier's last year because we respected him for getting murdered every Sunday and then not ****ing about, blaming the O-line or anything. He was a man. But I think Doc Walker said it best yesterday, since when do we give a QB credit for getting hit? How many times would he make a truly smart decision, like throwing it away? What was our record the last year he was a starter?

Look, I actually do like Ramsey, and he would be more valuable to the team as a third stringer than a sixth rounder, probably. I just think at this point NOT moving him would be more of a distraction than anything else. He wants out, he deserves out. I was on the Ramsey thread yesterday when people were ready to shoot themselves because we were getting only a high fourth rounder. I thought it seemed about right. Well, that seems pretty good now, doesn't it? Would I be pissed about a 6th? Hell yes. I think he's worth more than that. I hope we can get more, but we can't exactly boost his value in the offseason, its not like he's at the combine running sprints and taking the wonderlic. He's going to be worth what the market says he's worth.

I agree with you, except for the part about him being a distraction. Joe Gibbs can handle distractions. Besides, Ramsey is a quiet guy and I don't think he would be capable of doing any damage to the team. Also, if we needed him he would do what was asked of him. I just think it would be a bad decision to let him go for a sixth rounder. Who knows though, maybe Gibbs wants an extra 6th rounder to pick up Marcus Vick? I don't think he would be there but maybe.

Actually guys, there's an interesting discussion in here regarding trade value.

Rod Gardner was traded to Carolina for a 6th round pick. Most were pleased we got anything.

However, taking into their account their draft status, salaries, previous seasons (ie. experience) and relative success in their careers since they've been drafted....

What's the difference between Gardner's trade value last year... and Ramsey's? Seriously.

This is where having a real GM, would help the skins dramatically. Ramsey should and would have been dealt earlier.

like the GM of the Dolphins who gave a 2nd for Feely, oh wait he was fired. Or the GM for the Jets who traded a 2nd for justin Macarens, oh wait he was fired.

Maybe we could have traded Ramsey last year for a 3rd, which is supposedly what the Jets were offering mid-season, but then what would have happened if something happened to Brunell?

There are a lot of teams in the NFL that have GM's and don't make the playoffs.

Actually guys, there's an interesting discussion in here regarding trade value.

Rod Gardner was traded to Carolina for a 6th round pick. Most were pleased we got anything.

However, taking into their account their draft status, salaries, previous seasons (ie. experience) and relative success in their careers since they've been drafted....

What's the difference between Gardner's trade value last year... and Ramsey's? Seriously.

I totally agree.

However, now you're going to get a bunch of posters "reading between the numbers" and telling you that Ramsey's average stats are more valuable than Gardner's equally average stats.

well bottom line is that even if he wants to leave or play if we dont want him to do either one then he has to stay, I dont think that we should just get rid of him to get rid of him keep him around for a later date. Even though with the recent success with trading with the jets who knows who we could draft.

I totally agree.

However, now you're going to get a bunch of posters "reading between the numbers" and telling you that Ramsey's average stats are more valuable than Gardner's equally average stats.

No stats here, but for some reason I just feel Ramsey is more valuable than Gardner. I know neither want to be in Washington, but Gardners action were detrimental to the teams moral and Ramsey's aren't.

No stats here, but for some reason I just feel Ramsey is more valuable than Gardner. I know neither want to be in Washington, but Gardners action were detrimental to the teams moral and Ramsey's aren't.

I will concede that. Gardner appeared to have more of an attitude problem. But if that's the only difference and Ramsey is just keeping his feelings bottled up, what's the point of keeping him?

Joe's policy seems to be that he'll find a way to move you if you don't want to buy into the team's ideals. I wouldn't expect him to change that so that we can keep a 3rd string QB at first-round money.

I will concede that. Gardner appeared to have more of an attitude problem. But if that's the only difference and Ramsey is just keeping his feelings bottled up, what's the point of keeping him?

Joe's policy seems to be that he'll find a way to move you if you don't want to buy into the team's ideals. I wouldn't expect him to change that so that we can keep a 3rd string QB at first-round money.

All good points, maybe I am in denial.:gus: I hope we can get more than a 6th rounder for the guy, heck I hope we can get better than a 4th rounder. I guess I have too high of hopes.

Attitude is certainly an X-factor. But I think its' the type of factor that keeps you on the team.... even if you aren't producing... than getting cut entirely. It has value... it's limited though :)

Gardner did have a 1,000 yard season... and some relatively decent seasons. He was a higher round pick than Ramsey. He was a #2 receiver later in his career.

Ramsey never really had a breakthrough season comparable to a 1,000 yard season of a receiver. He was the 1st pick of the 2nd round. He has never finished an entire season as a starter. He's had some success and failings.

Both were/are still young. In both circumstances, the league KNEW that the Redskins are/were trying to trade them.

Unfortunately, the Redskins have MORE depth at QB than they did at receiver at the time. I'm not sure you want a 3rd string QB making more than $2M on the roster.

I'm torn about Ramsey though. I love the kid.. and will follow him through his career. I bought his replica jersey back in his rookie season :)

Did the Skins actually get the 6th rounder this year for Gardner?

I thought it was conditional.

At this point... I don't care any more :) I've read an article that said it dropped down to a 7th rounder.

I can't confirm or deny. Gardner for a 6th round pick was "some" value. If it was conditional... and we got nothing.. I'd be pissed :)

Archived